Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1x10 Mojo HD

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

1x10 Mojo HD

Just purchased the G2 chainguard for my HD and am going to try a 1x10 gearing set up. Anyone with experience here as far as gearing (cassette/front gear) to choose? I plan on this truly being my "all around" bike. I live in Las Vegas and ride Bootleg Canyon (steep climbs and flowing downhills). I am more worried about being able to climb in the lowest gear than to hit the highest speeds. Was looking at the new SRAM XO group, or taking suggestions. Any input is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Was looking at the SRAM 11/36 rear cassette and 32 ring up front? Not sure how hard it is going to be to get this thing up some steep climbs? Cant seem to find a gearing chart that has the 36 rear (too new?).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've been experimenting to see if I could get away with a 1x10 by trying to ride solely in the middle ring. New Dynasys so 32x11-36. Riding terrain around Calgary, mostly Moose Mountain so Alberta Rockies.

I would say I've been in the middle ring 99% of the time. So far all my rides on Moose including some 4+ hour rides and 1+ hour straight climbing(Pneuma trail up) I have not needed to drop down to the granny. However, there are a couple climbs in the city, one in particular that I can only clean by dropping my Talas and going to the granny, and another which as I'm fatiguing after a couple hours like to drop to the granny. Conclusion: I'm keeping the granny because I want to make all my climbs. Close, but not close enough with just the 32...too bad.
    Last edited by robnow; 07-08-2010 at 09:01 PM.

1 bike to ride them all
    Agree with robnow.

Set-up my HD with a Truvativ Stylo 36/24TH crank set paired with a SRAM XX 11-36 cassette. Used this set-up for a 160 mile trip of mixed technical singletrack and some fire road. The combo worked well. Spent more time than I would have thought in the 36. The 24th ring created a really low a ratio that was great but I.M.O. overkill for everything except the steepest of wall like climbs. Not as useful as I would have thought.

Switched to the Mini G/The Hive 15g crank w/34th ring/SRAM XX 11-36 cassette about 3 weeks ago. Have about 150 miles on this set-up. As you might expect the 34TH ring gets spun-out pretty quickly on any descent longer than a couple hundred yards, and YES climbing steep stuff definitely requires nut busting effort. That said I am going to tuff it out for a while longer.

Based on my experience to date, my preferred set-up would be the 15G crankset w/Ethirteen Turbocharger, 38/26TH rings and a SRAM X.O 11-36 cassette instead of the XX for obvious fiscal reasons.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm running an e*thirteen LG1+ with a 36T ring on one of the HD prototypes here, the stock e13 guide fits right up with no modifications, and at about 100g lighter than the MRP option I have the bike built up around 27 lbs. I'm also running the 15g cranks on the HD. If I were riding Bootleg I'd probably switch to a 34T ring up front.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    I'm running an e*thirteen LG1+ with a 36T ring on one of the HD prototypes here, the stock e13 guide fits right up with no modifications, and at about 100g lighter than the MRP option I have the bike built up around 27 lbs. I'm also running the 15g cranks on the HD. If I were riding Bootleg I'd probably switch to a 34T ring up front.
    Nice weight. Which wheels, tires and fork do you ride?

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadl
    Nice weight. Which wheels, tires and fork do you ride?
    FOX 36 with DT wheels and WTB 2,35 tires
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    I'm running an e*thirteen LG1+ with a 36T ring on one of the HD prototypes here, the stock e13 guide fits right up with no modifications.
    Just an FYI, I had to grind my E13 DRS plate and wear guide significantly to get everything to fit with no rubbing and proper alignment. The machined rib/tab on the back side of the plate needed to have almost an inch removed. I also rounded off the wear plate by about 3/4 of an inch.

All said and done it is much quieter than my previous set ups (Stingers, Heim's, etc...)

BY
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have been running a 1x10 setup on my Mojo SL for almost a year. This company from Austrailia was on this forum a while back. www.widgit.com.au
    I run an 11-34 cassette and run a 28t up front. They also have a 30t available. Not even wishing for a granny option. No problems, no guide, and it puts the chain line in between the granny and the middle, so no problem running in the big cassette gear for extended climbs. Take a look and see, simplifies the 1x10 project. The guy that owns the company is fantastic with his customer service and responds quickly if you have a question. It may seem a little pricey but it is a quick and uncomplicated install that works well. I use a bashguard in the spot where the big ring used to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the link Vinmann. Interesting alternative.

mtbr member
    I also live in Vegas and am waiting for my matte carbon HD to be delivered. I plan on running a 1x10 with an 11-36t cassette and the fifteen.g 34t SS crankset too. I think it is going to be the perfect setup for 99% of Vegas area riding.
    Ibis Mojo HD matte carbon w/ Fox DHX RC4 & Fox 36 Talas 180

snmba.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Does the wigit work with 10 spd chains?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yes, I just converted my 1x9 to a Sram XO 1x10 using the Widgit. I am using a short cage XO rear Deraileur, XO right trigger shifter with an XX rear cassette 11-36t. I got the rear deraileur, and right shifter from a seller in Hong Kong. Really work flawless, and the 10 speed chain works great with the Widgit. Paul Hagarty owns the Widgit company and he is fantastic to deal with. He also has a Mojo SL.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Does the Widget keep the chain from jumping off the bottom of the front sprocket if a slight back peddle is done over rough terrain?

I'm using an MRP 1x and it works good for most of the time but every so often the chain will jump off the bottom of my 32t ring and cause a jam up. If the Widget fixes the problem I'd try one.

Mojo

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    There may be other reasons the chain jumps, but the
    widgit has guides(shields) on both sides of the sprocket that prevents that from happening. Correct chain length and rear derailleur spring tension need to be correct first for any single front chain ring to work properly, without tensioners. The Widgit has to be cleaned out once in a while as some trail debris will gather between the sprocket and the shields. I know they say the drag on the chain with tensioners is minimal, but I like the fact that nothing is riding on the chain up front with this set up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vinmann3
    There may be other reasons the chain jumps, but the
    widgit has guides(shields) on both sides of the sprocket that prevents that from happening. Correct chain length and rear derailleur spring tension need to be correct first for any single front chain ring to work properly, without tensioners. The Widgit has to be cleaned out once in a while as some trail debris will gather between the sprocket and the shields. I know they say the drag on the chain with tensioners is minimal, but I like the fact that nothing is riding on the chain up front with this set up.
    With top mounted chain guides, lower chain jumping is very common in aggressive riding. When the chain is moving side to side during heavy bumps a slight back peddle movement is all it takes to cause chain jamming or derailment. Many are going to a lower chain sprocket/idler set up to prevent this. I'm not to keen on this arangement due to the extra sprocket noise.

When riding a Mojo most are prone to ride it hard and utilize the full 5.5 inches of travel, this is aggressive riding and most 1x9/1x10 top mounted guides will eventually have chain jam. I'm told it is more common with smaller front chain rings such as a 32 t.

Mojo

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Or there is this......

coming soon
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Or there is this......

coming soon
    Which model is this? Is it Mojo specific?
    Ibis Mojo HD matte carbon w/ Fox DHX RC4 & Fox 36 Talas 180

snmba.org

mtbr member

Another way to look at this....

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Holding
    Was looking at the SRAM 11/36 rear cassette and 32 ring up front? Not sure how hard it is going to be to get this thing up some steep climbs? Cant seem to find a gearing chart that has the 36 rear (too new?).
    If you run a single 32t ring w/ an 11-36 cassette, your lowest gear will produce (+or- based on actual wheel diameter) 23.1 gear inches, which puts it right in between the ratios you get from a 22t granny and the 23t and 26t cassette cogs (23t = 24.9 gear inches, 26t = 22.0 gear inches).

In other words, the 32/36 will be just about as low a gear as your old 22t granny and the 3rd from the biggest (26t) cassette cog. The new bike enthusiasm should give you enough extra horse power to make up that one gear inch you're missing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Or there is this......

coming soon
    That looks like the new pivot mounted bumerange, very nice, but when will it be available for the SL Do you need someone to help test it

P.S. Make sure it is available with a Ti pivot bolt.

Mojo

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That's exactly what I'm wanting to run on my mojo. Is this going to work?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Like a charm...

No ETA at this point, sorry for the tease.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I take it that the drilled out hole is for the lower link? How long of a wait are we talking? Month or like six months? I wanted the g2 mini without the bashguared. This will be perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Will this Lopes SL work on the normal Mojo? Or should I wait for the custom looking one above?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by supersquad3 View Post
    Will this Lopes SL work on the normal Mojo? Or should I wait for the custom looking one above?
    .... same question....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast