Lev
    You Guys Riding?

Which 180 Brake Adapter do I want for HD?

Sorry for the completely jongy question here, but I wasn't sure what to order.

I'm putting on a new Shimano XT brake set on my HD and I'm changing my rotors to 180 f/r. I have a 2009 Lyrik fork on the front.

Amazon has these listed: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-MA-F-B...ef=pd_sbs_sg_2

Any help would be much appreciated. I'd like to put the order in today.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    When I upgraded my Formula Rotors I just purchased the Formula adapter.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For the fork you want 160 Post to 180 Post. For the rear you want 160 Post to 180 Post.

Make sure your Fork is 160 Post...my 180 Fox fork only does 203 Post.

www.derbyrims.com
    The Amazon link is not the adapter for an HD. Pictured there is the so called IS (International Standard), a side mount to post mount adapter.

As others have mentioned already, the HD rear requires a post-to-post mount adapter to fit bigger than 160mm rotors.

A post-to-post mount adapter labeled for a fork, works in the HD swingarm. When looking for an adapter for my HD, it seems like most post mount adapters on-line are only listed for forks, I'm guessing because post mounts for the rear brake are a fairly new design advancement, but they fit the same for rear post mounts (unlike IS adapters which are different front and rear for the same larger rotor size).

I'm using a post-to-post mount adapter from Magura with a Formula caliper, because I like the looks of the Magura more.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    The Amazon link is not the adapter for an HD. Pictured there is the so called IS (International Standard), a side mount to post mount adapter.

As others have mentioned already, the HD rear requires a post-to-post mount adapter to fit bigger than 160mm rotors.

A post-to-post mount adapter labeled for a fork, works in the HD swingarm. When looking for an adapter for my HD, it seems like most post mount adapters on-line are only listed for forks, I'm guessing because post mounts for the rear brake are a fairly new design advancement, but they fit the same for rear post mounts (unlike IS adapters which are different front and rear for the same larger rotor size).

I'm using a post-to-post mount adapter from Magura with a Formula caliper, because I like the looks of the Magura more.
    Cool. Thanks for the replies.

Mind posting a link to an adapter that would work?

aka dan51
    Pretty sure this is it.
    Bikeman Shimano F180P/P2 Disc Brake Adaptor
    ESMMAF180PP2

edit: you may also need longer mounting bolts, as the adapter just spaces the caliper out farther.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member

Good job!

I'm using THIS with Magura Louise Vented Rotor 180mm. It worked perfectly

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sohnice View Post
    I'm using THIS with Magura Louise Vented Rotor 180mm. It worked perfectly
    Oh gosh, $25 for adapters ? my magura post mount cost me maybe about $8 each. you want PM6 to 180 (front and rear on HD) - QM6 - second on picture
    http://www.magura.com/typo3temp/pics/edbdaf4d95.jpg

while I'm using magura caliper, they work for others too... and are cheaper than most (unusual for magura parts)