mtbr member
    Jan 2004

170mm Forks on HD, What Stem Length?

I test rode a small frame with a 70mm stem and 160mm travel Float. It felt just a bit slow steering. I was thinking of trying 55-60mm, preferrably the Easton Haven stem.

I'm 5'7", 29" inseam.

What lengths you boys running?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    50mm with 760 bars. Mint.

Not sure if the forks make that much of a diff to what stem you run.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks. Is yours a small frame?

As the fork travel increases, so does the ETT length. At 160mm, ETT is 22.2. 180mm ETT is 22.4.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You've lost me. Longer forks create a longer wheel base but unless you are running more steerer then I can't see how a longer for creates a longer top tube, in fact I would have thought the opposite was true as raising the front end tends to reduce the stretch. I am totally prepared to be proven wrong though. Anyway I run a large, but shorter and wider is better regardless of the size of frame I'd say.

I run a 50mm Sunline with Chromag OSX black chrome bars. I run flat pedals which means that you hang a bit more off the back than clipped in. Tends to mean that the forks get setup a little softer...anyway getting off track a bit

Lightly salted
    Im 5'6" with 29" inseam. I ride a small frame HD 160. Setup is, 160 float, 50mm stem with 10mm spacers under it, 745mm bars. On my bike if I was going to go from a 160mm fork to 170mm fork I would just remove the 10mm of spacers under my stem. Once you fiind a good stem length, you should be able to use the same stem on both forks, just lower the stem height for the taller forks.
    Last edited by fuenstock; 07-29-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
    You've lost me. Longer forks create a longer wheel base but unless you are running more steerer then I can't see how a longer for creates a longer top tube, in fact I would have thought the opposite was true as raising the front end tends to reduce the stretch. I am totally prepared to be proven wrong though.
    The taller fork creates a longer effective top tube because it slackens the seat tube putting the rider farther back on the bike when seated. The proof is on most bike websites geo charts that will show a longer EFT with taller forks on the same size frame.

aka dan51
    I run a 70mm stem with 725 bars.
    Your best bet is to find a cheap stem of whatever length you think will be good and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    The taller fork creates a longer effective top tube because it slackens the seat tube putting the rider farther back on the bike when seated. The proof is on most bike websites geo charts that will show a longer EFT with taller forks on the same size frame.
    True, but if you have your seat in the same relative place to the BB, the real world TT length will be shorter. You will likely slide your seat forward a bit to compensate for the slacker HA.
    Last edited by d-bug; 07-29-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: fix stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I run a 70mm stem with 725 bars.
    Your best best is to find a cheap stem of whatever length you think will be good and try it.

True, but if you have your seat in the same relative place to the BB, the real world TT length will be shorter. You will likely slide your seat forward a bit to compensate for the slacker HA.
    Thats what I thought. I have always felt the need to slip the seat forward when running longer forks otherwise the drop from knee cap through axle of pedal is out and I end up with pain in my right (dodgy knee). Leave the seat and it will lengthen but keep it the same and you are actually making the cockpit a bit more compact. Anyway who cares, not really the point.

My advice is to try a shorter stem wider bar combo. Make sure you try a shorter stem with a wider bar otherwise the cockpit may feel cramped

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On the Ibis website they show the longer ETT with the 180mm fork. To e more accurate they should have listed the axle to crown that those numbers were based on.

It seems most of you are running stems shorter than the shortest Inis stem (70mm). I'll try both a 55 and 70 and see how they feel