Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neilether's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    224

    160mm fork on an SL-R??

    Is anybody running a 160mm fork on an SL-R? I am thinking of picking up one of these bikes, but I would like to run a stouter (ie 34 or 36mm stanchion) fork. Seems as if all of those are 160mm of travel. How does the longer fork feel on this bike?

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,788
    Before the HD, many, including me (with a u-turn fork, that could be lower too) were using a 160mm fork with the SL and C. The SL-R has the same frame geometry.

    I only raised my fork to 160mm, a Lyrik u-turn coil, for DH bike park use, otherwise it was mostly set for tighter handling conditions between 135 and 150mm travel for a variety of trail uses.

    Others used 160mm travel full time, generally for having very rough trail conditions nearly all the time.

  3. #3
    Commit or eat sh!t
    Reputation: Cable0guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,376
    I am using 150mm Revelation, and find myself using it at 140mm setting most of the time, mainly because it climbs better with front lowered. If you want to use 160mm and do more gnarly or bike park stuff, I think you are looking at the wrong bike. Maybe HD (or something like a Nomad) might be a better bike for you.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neilether's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    224
    I mainly want to the 34 mm stanchion for stiffness. I am 210 lbs and have gotten used to a 36mm stanchion. I'm not sure I want to go back to 32. I could always get the 160/130 Talas I suppose. Or I could internally change the travel on the float down to 150 or 140.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    116
    The 34 can only go down to 150mm because of the longer negative spring it uses, so it can only be reduced by 10mm. A 34 set at 150 and a works components angleset would be a pretty good setup I think

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    64
    I have an SL-R with a talas 32mm 150/130 and was thinking of more fork, say the 34mm. Ibis says 36mm not recomended for the SL-R. This Idea of a 34mm seems like a great in between solution. Have never ridden anything bigger than a 32mm, The SL-R is a good all around bike but the 36mm fork bikes are better in the Tahoe area from what I can see. Hope they make a 34mm 150/130 fork I might be up for it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neilether's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    The 34 can only go down to 150mm because of the longer negative spring it uses, so it can only be reduced by 10mm. A 34 set at 150 and a works components angleset would be a pretty good setup I think
    Thanks for the info. He difference between 160 and 150 is honestly negligible to me. I need to decide if I am going to pony up the extra dough for the talas or just go with the float. Decisions decisions.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,896
    Mojo/Mojo-SL work great with a longer A-C fork than the originally spec'd Fox 32/140's, so you can expect an SL-R to do the same. That is, as long as you're not looking for XC-race bike angles and the lowest of low BB height. The slacker/longer front end rewards a more animated riding style....countersteering and leaning the bike with the hips rather than steering your way around corners with the handlebars. It's not a help on steep climbs of course, but with correcting adjustments to saddle position and bar height, it's not much of a hindrance either. I like Lawman's idea of a 34 set to 150. I'll happily give up a little travel if that's what it takes to maintain neutral handling while running a 650b front wheel. I'd strongly recommend keeping that option open..... really improves things.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neilether's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Mojo/Mojo-SL work great with a longer A-C fork than the originally spec'd Fox 32/140's, so you can expect an SL-R to do the same. That is, as long as you're not looking for XC-race bike angles and the lowest of low BB height. The slacker/longer front end rewards a more animated riding style....countersteering and leaning the bike with the hips rather than steering your way around corners with the handlebars. It's not a help on steep climbs of course, but with correcting adjustments to saddle position and bar height, it's not much of a hindrance either. I like Lawman's idea of a 34 set to 150. I'll happily give up a little travel if that's what it takes to maintain neutral handling while running a 650b front wheel. I'd strongly recommend keeping that option open..... really improves things.
    I do have a 650b front wheel I could throw on there. Do you know if those will clear the new Fox 34s? I will likely try it out at 160 and if it is floating too much on me can drop it to 150. Thanks for the advice.

    Can you drop a 160/130 TALAS to 150/120? Not sure if I would want to do that, but would be curious if the option is available.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,896
    I can't say with certainty, having never tried it.... but I'd bet a Ben Franklin that it will fit since every 32 & 36 fork to date from Fox clears 650b tires up to a 2.35 Nevegal at least. My Float 32/140 had the best clearance of any of the 3 forks I've run. Fox is making a 650b specific 34 fork too.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neilether's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    I can't say with certainty, having never tried it.... but I'd bet a Ben Franklin that it will fit since every 32 & 36 fork to date from Fox clears 650b tires up to a 2.35 Nevegal at least. My Float 32/140 had the best clearance of any of the 3 forks I've run. Fox is making a 650b specific 34 fork too.
    Let me check the fit, then I will get back to you on that bet......

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neilether's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    224
    I pulled the trigger and have loved the 160 fork on the bike. I've put about 100 miles on the setup so far and I have no regrets about ordering the longer fork. It does float a bit when climbing steep stuff, but a slight body position change corrected that fairly easily.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    I pulled the trigger and have loved the 160 fork on the bike. I've put about 100 miles on the setup so far and I have no regrets about ordering the longer fork. It does float a bit when climbing steep stuff, but a slight body position change corrected that fairly easily.
    which 160 fork did you get? The Ibis website lists a 160/130 talas 34mm option now, for the sl-r.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neilether's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    224
    I went with the 34 Float 160.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    176
    You can lower just about any fork on the market. You can have the stiffness of the beefy 36 w/o the slow steering and unbalanced travel.

    I have an HD140 w/ a 120-150 Revelation that gets ridden hard. I prefer it in the shorter travel setting on just about everything except full-on rough DH. The lower front end and lower BB just handle so much better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •