mtbr member
    Apr 2010

150 or 160 Pike on the HD3?

Still waiting on my HD3 (supposed to be in on the 15th) and currently have a 2015 160 Pike that just arrived but I also have access to a 150 off my current bike. I bought the 160 because I figured "what difference can 10mm make anyway" and "it can only help".

I see on the build thread that it seems about 60-40 with most people going with the 160. So for those of you with the 160, any regrets? Anybody with the 150 that are kicking themselves for not going with the 150?

ready to ride
    160 all day long, you made the right choice regarding travel without a doubt.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

All bike, all the time
    Second the 160 for the 3. Brilliant match.
    All bike, all the time

Dude...
    I went 150. I do plenty of climbing so thought I'd prefer having the little steeper head angle. You can't really go wrong with either as it really is only 10 mm and what, maybe a half degree of head angle. If you're more downhill inclined, then I would definitely say the 160. I'm planning to use this bike on a lot of high mileage high country adventures where I will appreciate that slight difference when it comes to going up.

Too Much Fun

Good job! two flavors, same great taste

I had a Pike 150 on my HDR650b and moved it to the HD3. It was great.

I had it bumped up to 160 recently and it's still great.

Right now I'm trying to dial it in at 160, but overall the bike handles wonderfully with either config. If you ride bigger chunk the 160 will likely be a better match, but the 150 was fine too.

If you're at 160 I'd ride it as-is and don't look back.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    I think it's like a $30 part to change the travel, if your not digging 160, just change it to 150 at a minimal cost.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

El Mirador
    I went from 150 in my SLR to 160 in the HD3. I was expecting to suffer a little on the climbs because of the slacker HA, but I cannot tell the difference, and definitely not on those 10mm. Only the xx1 vs the SLR's three chainrings affects climbing somehow (32t).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ran 150 and 160 pike on hd and hdr 26 and 650b and 26/650b hybrid...ran 160 like on hd3 and fox 36 160. I'd recommend you seriously consider the fox 36.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    I'd recommend you seriously consider the fox 36.
    Really??! Why ditch a perfectly good Pike that he has two of for a $1000 Fox?

That seems like a solution looking for a problem.

I know the Fox is great, I've ridden it, but the Pike is an incredibly good fork and nothing I read in the OP's indicated he was unhappy with the Pike...

If I were the OP and I was happy with the 150 Pike, I'd stick with the 160 that he's already purchased!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Really??! Why ditch a perfectly good Pike that he has two of for a $1000 Fox?

That seems like a solution looking for a problem.

I know the Fox is great, I've ridden it, but the Pike is an incredibly good fork and nothing I read in the OP's indicated he was unhappy with the Pike...

If I were the OP and I was happy with the 150 Pike, I'd stick with the 160 that he's already purchased!
    just one guy's opinion...I like the pike too, but I like the fox better and anyone who's got two pikes, or an ibis in the first place for that matter, probably has the means to buy / sell to do whatever he (or she) wants.

I think the fox works better (for me) and I suspect it'll last longer and have fewer problems (just speculation at this point).

Again, just an opinion. more justification required for you???!??!! (insert smileys and thumbs here)

Too Much Fun
    True enough if money ain't a thing.

Didn't mean to bust your balls but it may have appeared so.

I also find that once I've learned a particular piece of kit I like to stick with it for simplicity.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    True enough if money ain't a thing.

Didn't mean to bust your balls but it may have appeared so.

I also find that once I've learned a particular piece of kit I like to stick with it for simplicity.
    no worries.

Just trying to pass along my observations and experiences (without getting into excruciating detail about my history with various equipment...I've been riding MTB a lot since the late 80's and I like to try any and all gear) so I've got a few 'reps on the bench'...the Pike was the first RS product in a long time that I thought was awesome and I'd move to it from the last-gen fox 36. The new 36 is great and I'm more comfortable with it's expected longevity (having taken each apart myself to see what's in there and in hearing opinions from trusted shop techs) and Fox's customer service versus RS's. There's more to products than the product itself...and more to them than their first year feel...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    no worries.

Just trying to pass along my observations and experiences (without getting into excruciating detail about my history with various equipment...I've been riding MTB a lot since the late 80's and I like to try any and all gear) so I've got a few 'reps on the bench'...the Pike was the first RS product in a long time that I thought was awesome and I'd move to it from the last-gen fox 36. The new 36 is great and I'm more comfortable with it's expected longevity (having taken each apart myself to see what's in there and in hearing opinions from trusted shop techs) and Fox's customer service versus RS's. There's more to products than the product itself...and more to them than their first year feel...
    But have you tried a Bos Deville ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    But have you tried a Bos Deville ?
    I have not.

mtbr member
    I've had one for 4 years. Imported it from Austria. Super impressed. I have a 2015 36 too. Both are excellent forks.

mtbr member
    160 without question/hesitation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I ran 160 for awhile but ultimately went to 150 as at 160 the steering felt just a tiny bit floppy on steep climbs, plus I prefer a slightly lower bb. Happy that I did. Bike feels perfect now.