Thread: 110 Is Headset

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

110 Is Headset

I'm going to bite the bullet and replace my IS-8 headset with the new and improved 110-IS.

Can anyone recommend the best place for purchasing one that sells cheeper than list price

David

mtbr member

PM sent

PM sent with regards to CC IS 110

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    did they update the 110??

or was the OP just sayin'...

flow where ever you go
    universalcycles
    "VIP10" for 10% off.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    I found a red one on ebay for $89.99. I am temped. The red would match my links.
    milesW

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    I found a red one on ebay for $89.99. I am temped. The red would match my links.
    Is it used? Won't really matter, but just $4.50 more gets you a new one at Universal. I picked one up on Ebay for $65 and it was said to be "barely used".. It turned out to have a fairly large scratch in the finish but it will last forever.
    Edit:
    I see it now, $13 for shipping and 92.2% positive feedback. I'd wait for a better deal or go new.
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 03-09-2010 at 09:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Since I started this head set toppic would someone take the time to explain why this new 110 will last forever as compaired to my IS-8? I don't see how it is possible. I baby my current head set and the bearings still get sticky and messy. Hell, I even repack the bearings with the best grease I can find and it still sucks.

What's so differant about the new 110? besides the expensive price?

David

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    Since I started this head set toppic would someone take the time to explain why this new 110 will last forever as compaired to my IS-8? I don't see how it is possible. I baby my current head set and the bearings still get sticky and messy. Hell, I even repack the bearings with the best grease I can find and it still sucks.

What's so differant about the new 110? besides the expensive price?

David

I guess what they are referring to is the 110 year warranty that the headset carries.

What is "sucking about your headset"? Even the cheaper CC headsets usually get the job done. Are you preloading the headset correctly? "Sticky" sounds like binding to me. Just bouncing ideas trying to figure out what could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I guess what they are referring to is the 110 year warranty that the headset carries.

What is "sucking about your headset"? Even the cheaper CC headsets usually get the job done. Are you preloading the headset correctly? "Sticky" sounds like binding to me. Just bouncing ideas trying to figure out what could be wrong.
    Preloading or tightening the headset is a loaded question. Nobody seems to beable to specify a torque. As for feel, I snug till I feel some resistance and then usally back off, say 1/8-1/4 turn, or till the bars rotate smoooth. It has to be somewhat snugg/tight because it will slop around if the bike is ridden hard. Any way, after my bike sits (in between seasons) the headset seems to bind up. After taking apart, the bearings do not rotate smooth anymore, even after cleaning and repacking with grease (seals removed).

In my opinion, the bearings seem to be too small for the appplication and the head set does a poor job of sealing out the crude, even if I clean the head set monthly and put a light coating of waterproof grease on the top and bottom of the bearings.

David

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man
    Since I started this head set toppic would someone take the time to explain why this new 110 will last forever as compared to my IS-8? I don't see how it is possible. I baby my current head set and the bearings still get sticky and messy. Hell, I even repack the bearings with the best grease I can find and it still sucks.

What's so different about the new 110? besides the expensive price?

David

Tighter tolerances, more seals, better seals, higher quality steel.

mtbr member
    If I currently have the IS-8 headset, can't I just upgrade the bearings to the IS-110 bearings? Besides better bearings, what's the real difference?

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterDave
    If I currently have the IS-8 headset, can't I just upgrade the bearings to the IS-110 bearings? Besides better bearings, what's the real difference?
    I'm not sure if IS-110 bearings fit exactly the same as IS-8 or not. The build is different. It's even different than the Solos which preceded it. I tried mixing and matching parts from Solos and IS-8 and that didn't work. I can't describe all the exact differences without the parts in from of me, but the IS-110 has double o-rings on the top cap and better compression rings.

Church of the Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterDave
    Yes, you can swap out 110 bearings for your IS-8 bearings. They are exactly the same size, but differ in their seals. As for the rest of the headset, both the 110 crown race and top cap have additional seals that the IS-8 does not, as well as the captured split ring.

I put 110 bearings into my IS-8 for awhile, but eventually replaced the whole assembly with a 110 to get the best sealing possible, but also because I noticed that my carbon IS-8 topcap was getting rather sticky on the steerer tube, and difficult to remove when removing the fork. Not sure if it was a case of galvanic bonding between the carbon and aluminum or not, but I figured it was safest (and a good rationalization) to just upgrade to the 110.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers