mtbr member
    Feb 2009

100mm travel Ripley

Just wondering if the ripley can be dropped down to 100mm of travel for XC racing

mtbr member
    My question for those lucky enough to have ridden the Ripley: would you race it XC as is? Based on the ride reports and reviews that have come out, it seems like folks can't say enough about the climbing and acceleration. How does it compare to something like an Epic or Jet9 when pushing the speed through climbs and single track?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It flat out hauls A$$. Mine is set up with a Fox34 140mm, flat pedals etc and is still only 25lbs. Fastest bike I have ever owned by far.

i don't think anything could be gained by shortening the travel as it already pedals so extremely well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    One of our guys took time off his test loop running the Ripley in 120 against a 100mm 29" full race bike with lockouts etc. Same tires. I have raced it against my 17.5 lb disc cross bike on fire road loops and it actually prevailed by a couple minutes over an hour and the 10 minute moderately rough climb was a tie to the second 3 times in a row! It's great for being able to stay on the gas over the bumps, so the suspension really earns it's keep when you are trying to go fast and there are any sort of bumps. The travel is working for you rather than against you. If it was a road or very smooth fire road, it might be different, but probably close to equal, rather than slower. I've even had some pretty satisfying road climbs on it. When you are on a trail with bumps or holes and are putting out power, it lets you keep pedaling hard even on the bumps. It just goes and the momentum builds and carries from one section to the next and you end up going faster than with rigid or firm shorter travel set ups.
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

www.derbyrims.com
    Yes, you can reduce the bottom travel with hand made split plastic washers inside the air can. Make the washers as wide as possible to fit to reduce air volume for firmer ramp up in proportion to the reduced travel. Some bikes are designed with shocks having a permanent spacer, effectively a large permanent washer inside the shock air can reducing bottom travel and air volume. Thousands of riders have done this easy custom work themselves in recent years to prevent seat tube tire contact at bottom travel when they convert various 26 inch bikes to bigger 650b wheels. Some bike shops can do this too.

Shock Bottom shim instruction:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/650...ce-623853.html

A 100mm fork would tighten up steering response. You could use a fork with less offset to maintain the comfortable steering trail of the 120mm Ripley.

The BB height of the Ripley is nearly the same as most 100mm travel XC full suspension bikes. However, you could lower the BB using offset shock mount bushings as much as 1/4 inch lower which slackens the frame angles near 1/2 degree, which increases steering trail a small amount and relaxes steering response slightly that may be desirable with a 100mm fork having 29'er offset. If lowering the BB without reducing bottom travel, be sure to check the tire has good seat tube clearance at bottom out with shock deflated.

Shock mount offset bushings. There are other options if you search google. These were least expensive and are well made. The HD has 40mm and 22mm wide shock mounts, both with 8mm shock mount bolt holes. It took 3 weeks for the two I bought on eBay to arrive from Poland.
    Offset Shock Bushings Mounting Hardware Mount Kit All Frames Proshox | eBay

I'm not saying there would be better race performance. But it is possible to do what you have asked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

100mm travel Ripley

Thanks thats a very comprehensive response. Now my understanding is that there is no need to reduce travell to have a faster bike.

The Crow
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbpri View Post
    Now my understanding is that there is no need to reduce travell to have a faster bike.
    Absolutely!
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving