Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MountainGoat aka OldGoat

No good $2,900 for a Ripley? I don't know about that!!

Come to the party VERY late in the game with and unproven frame and linkage and ask for top dollar? Not me, I'm out!! Good luck to those of you who jump on that grenade
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Plenty of kool-aid drinkers out there that will do just that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Ibis has been very upfront about the whole design process. This includes moving to a different factory so they could achieve all the design goals they had for Ripley. Unfortunately, this meant eating the cost for the molds. To say the molds aren't cheap is an understatement.

If I were considering 29", I would have liked to have seen $2500. However, I can certainly understand why the price is high.

Before I made any harsh judgement though, I'd recommend test riding one. Only then can any of us say whether $2900 is "too much".

Judging by their track record so far, the Ripley is likely worth every cent...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Mmmmm kool-aid........tasty tasty kool-aid.....

I've been drinking this flavor for 27 years and have yet to be disappointed. Ride first, discuss afterwards.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Pricing is competitive with other high-end carbon FS 29ers....
    SC TBc - $2,899
    Intense Spider - $2,899
    Niner Jet9 RDO - $2,899
    Pivot 429c - $2,899
    Orbea Occam - $2,899
    Yeti SB-95c - $?? (seeing that the SB-66c is $3,200 it will probably be darn close to the same price point)

I certainly don't like that I have to fork out $2,900 for a frame but that's the going rate for high end carbon MTBs. Ibis track record for producing stellar bikes is without question. I'm confident the bike is going to be incredible....just wish Ibis actually had more than Large frames available to ship...that's the biggest letdown of all

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven View Post
    Come to the party VERY late in the game with and unproven frame and linkage and ask for top dollar? Not me, I'm out!! Good luck to those of you who jump on that grenade
    Great a guy who complains online. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Mtb Guide
    Well said marzspeed & burkut, surprised or shouldn't be really by the e negativity its what people enjoy the most follow any positive thread or a neg one not even close.

Feel for these guys sometimes, they release a new baby, bike after years of hard slog and this is what they get before anyone who complains has ridden one.

WOW just wow people must have some serious anger, happiness issues!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    Well said marzspeed & burkut, surprised or shouldn't be really by the e negativity its what people enjoy the most follow any positive thread or a neg one not even close.

Feel for these guys sometimes, they release a new baby, bike after years of hard slog and this is what they get before anyone who complains has ridden one.

WOW just wow people must have some serious anger, happiness issues!
    Very true. Plus it's pretty much in line with other frames that don't have this suspension and technology with this kind of testing. Quite honestly as much as they have put into the bike (at least 3 years design and testing) it's a bargain compared to other frames in it's class.
    Also have you priced out a highend road bike frame? I know some of those are out in the 5k plus range and up, plus they dont run complex suspensions. Compared to many road bike frames, this is an out right bargin.
    Last edited by mazspeed; 03-19-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Too Much Fun

Good job! Internet gems

God, sometimes reading these thoughtful internet threads is about as satisfying as pulling my dick out on the table and beating it with a mallet...

Hey frugal gourmet, if you don't like the pricing, you don't have to buy the bike. It's super fun how that works.
    - -benja- -

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    Pricing is competitive with other high-end carbon FS 29ers....
    SC TBc - $2,899
    Intense Spider - $2,899
    Niner Jet9 RDO - $2,899
    Pivot 429c - $2,899
    Orbea Occam - $2,899
    Yeti SB-95c - $?? (seeing that the SB-66c is $3,200 it will probably be darn close to the same price point)
    WOW. A post using real market pricing data? Get out of here with your rational thinking and critical reasoning -- that's not allowed here

Bottom line: the pricing is fair. If you want one, get one!
    :: wrenchscience ::

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Well, Australia gets screwed by the local distributor: ~$3,900 USD inc tax for the Ripley downunder.

2013 Ibis

That's ... disappointing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    That is why I bought my HD from NZ and got lucky and didn't pay their sales tax or our import duty so it ended up $2300AUD delivered, so cheaper than the us price. At $1000AUD extra for the ripley frame you can probably fly to the USA pick one up and it would only cost a few hundred dollars extra. I was considering doing just that before I found the NZ option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS along with most of the replies on here are so incredibly funny. You all think Ibis said one day, "dude, let's make a 29er frame. I have a drawing on a napkin. Sweet!! I'll call the factory in China and get'er done."

They spent over THREEEEEEEEEE years testing, RD, testing, riding, riding, riding, and riding test mules to PROVE THE FRAME AND LINKAGE. Ibis is not a company that turns out ebay chinarillo frames.

You don't like it, don't buy it. You think you are smarter than the idiot-market-driven-drop-out-stick-figure-drawing-can't-turn-on-a-computer-engineers-from-Walmart...then go create your own dream suspension out of cardboard and ride till the sun goes down.

I love forums by the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rb View Post
    WOW. A post using real market pricing data? Get out of here with your rational thinking and critical reasoning -- that's not allowed here

Bottom line: the pricing is fair. If you want one, get one!
    Real market and more honest pricing, Devinci Atlas Carbon $2099

Devinci Atlas 29" Carbon Frame
    Last edited by syadasti; 03-19-2013 at 09:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Re Devinci Atlas - i've heard mixed reviews. The guys at Flow Magazine (aussie bunch) found that it had quite a few issues with sitting low in its suspension

But, point very much made regarding price point!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

$2,900 for a Ripley? I don't know about that!!

Quote Originally Posted by syadasti View Post
    Real market and more honest pricing, Devinci Atlas Carbon $2099

Devinci Atlas 29" Carbon Frame
    Carbon front triangle and aluminum rear, but don't let that stand in the way of your argument.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    Carbon front triangle and aluminum rear, but don't let that stand in the way of your argument.
    I already mentioned that in the thread in the 29er forum, but don't let that stand in your way. Dixon Carbon is $2399 and has carbon front triangle and carbon seatstays. The front triangle is where most of the weight savings is found which is why Trek does the same as the Dixon plus they don't need any metal chainstay protection like full-carbon frames. These are longer travel mountain bikes, not road bikes or top level XC racing bikes:

The new carbon mainframe follows the existing alloy Atlas template but loses nearly 290g in mass, despite claimed stiffness gains and 140mm (5.5in) travel fork compatibility.
    Devinici has a very small network within the US without the production numbers of the popular larger brands and yet they are priced sanely.

Oh and only one publication has reviewed the Carbon version so far, the review was not mixed...

Devinci Atlas Carbon RC Frame Review - BikeRadar
    Last edited by syadasti; 03-20-2013 at 06:51 AM.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    Not to mention a split pivot vs. eccentric DW-link.

I'm sure the Atlas is a fine bike, and yes it is cheaper. I'd say buy one if you like it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Not to mention a split pivot vs. eccentric DW-link.
    Both use variations of four bar suspension. There is significant mark-up on a per frame cost on most modern frames sourced from Asia which is a completely valid point the OP made.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Both use variations of four bar suspension. There is significant mark-up on a per frame cost on most modern frames sourced from Asia which is a completely valid point the OP made.
    You don't really think that Dave's split pivot design is as good as DW-link, do you? If you are going to use the Atlas as an example of why the Ripley is overpriced, I'm sorry, that's a fail. There are plenty of bikes out there that are cheaper. Again, so what?

The OP didn't say anything about the markup on Asian frames, but there sure is a lot - the Atlas included. The cost to produce a bike is not just what it costs to pay someone to build the frames. If you want to build something new and better, you are going to spend a lot of money on engineering and testing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    You don't really think that Dave's split pivot design is as good as DW-link, do you?
    Do you think he put less effort into one or the other? It was the same engineer drawing from his extensive experience in suspension design.

Bicycle suspension is designed significantly better than the days of the GT RTS-1 or the first generation S-works FSR. With moderns shocks and good geometry the performance difference between suspension designs is more marketing than reality.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Atlas is indeed a good looking bike at a good price. I will say the $800 price difference does buy you something however. In comparison, the the Ripley has a full carbon frame, more travel, and a more sophisticated suspension design. Is it worth it? I guess that would depend on your budget and priorities. If I were in the market for a new bike (I'm not) I'd likely pony up the extra cash for the Ripley as I typically really like the way Ibis bikes ride and know from first hand experience how unbelievable their customer service is.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Do you think he put less effort into one or the other? It was the same engineer drawing from his extensive experience in suspension design.

Bicycle suspension is designed significantly better than the days of the GT RTS-1 or the first generation S-works FSR. With moderns shocks and good geometry the performance difference between suspension designs is more marketing than reality.
    Do a search and you can read all about it, but according to DW, the split-pivot is a lower-cost and lower performing alternative to DW-link. And yes I think he put less effort into it, although I have no way to know that. Regardless, I'm sure it performs quite well.

I ride a $1600 complete FS bike with I-drive that also performs very well. But if you want the latest and greatest, be prepared to pay more for it. Is it worth it? That is for the buyer to decide. I've ridden several rear suspension designs, and there are differences. The Stumpjumper FSR fit me better than any other bike I tried, and I loved the handling, but I could not accept the rear suspension performance on climbing and pedaling with an open shock - no matter how that rear suspension is marketed.

There is every reason to believe that the eccentric DW will be one of the best performing suspensions out there. If it performs as expected, IMO the pricing is line with the other high-end FS carbon bikes.

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005

Re: $2,900 for a Ripley? I don't know about that!!

"If you don't like it don't buy it" sounds like a line straight from the bike shop employees handbook.

I don't like where industry pricing is going in general.
    South Central PA

MSH
    mtbr member
    ....Devinici has a very small network within the US... ....
    Most likely one of the primary reasons they are pricing very aggressively. Very competitive market with so many larger brands in the game. Assuming Devinci makes a big splash in the US and ROW and it's brand awareness comes up to the level of a Santa Cruz, Niner, Ibis, etc I'd bet the house on them raising prices to be more in line with these other manufacturers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast