Thread: Zone FR-1

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Zone FR-1

Mine is going to be delivered Today! I wasn't expecting it until Monday and now I've got to go work all day knowing it will be waiting here Then it's expected to thunderstorm all weekend. Which won't matter, because I'll be out of town for most of it anyway. I just can't win.

Oh well, I just wanted to share some of my frustration and also how pleased I am with the IBEX service thus far. I'll post again after I've had some time with the bike.

Freshly Fujified

Wooooohoooooooooo!

Excellent. use whatever time you're home to do the required assembly. Don't forget the fact that the fork may be backwards for shipping pruposes. This confuses a lot of people.

Did you get one of the '05 leftovers, or an '06??

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah, I plan on putting it together tonight so it'll be ready when I get back. That's good to know about the fork, I would've had no clue. I got an '05, it's just such a sweet deal, when I thought about it I couldn't pass it up.

Freshly Fujified

What a steal!

Less than $1100 shipped is a steal. Let us know how it looks when you get it together. I know when I took my RSR B 24 out of the box, I was floored. They do make a heck of a bike.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Finally got it put together (I'm not the most mechanically inclined). Speaking of which, the fork WAS backwards.. there weren't any instructions for turning it around so I just twisted it into the proper position and move the stem into proper position. Does this sound right? I've never had to do that before. Probably a dumb question but just checking.

Overall, I have been really happy with my IBEX experience. I ordered this bike on Tuesday and got it Today, that's pretty awesome. A little detail that I enjoyed were the well placed handles on the box, made it super easy to carry back to my apartment from the office, that was greatly appreciated. The bike came in pretty good shape, there were a couple scratches from shipping (you can kind of see one next to the cable in the second to last picture) but it came with touchup paint and I know I'll add my own scratches soon enough. I'm pretty sure the brakes need to be adjusted and I may take the whole thing to my LBS for a checkup because, as I said before, I'm not very mechanically inclined. I was able to get a quick circle around the block just before it started raining here and the bike felt very smooth (other than the brakes) and solid. It had a really good feeling to it.

Anyway, here's some pics! Sorry about the lighting, my apartment is poorly lit.

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

Freshly Fujified

Beautiful bike

That bike looks real sharp. Don't mind the scratches, as you said, you'll be making more soon enough. As for the fork and stem, you did exactly what you needed to do! Turn the fork around loosen up the stem, align it with the fork and tighten it down. It'll be worth the $50 to have the LBS go over it with a fine toothed comb and make any adjustments necessary.

Now go get it dirty and give us a ride report!

Enjoy.

Bob

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Now go get it dirty and give us a ride report!
    You can bet that's at the top of my priorities. Unfortunately, it'll be Monday at the earliest. I will have to order a new spring for the rear shock though, I can't get any sag out of it. It's that burly

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just a quick update. I took it for a ride around town tonight to get used to it as I'm planning on taking it to the trails on Wednesday. I haven't had it tuned yet so I'll overlook the shifting being a little rough, not a lot but a little.. I am pretty sure I'm going to cut the handlebars down, they seem very wide for me, I've got a fairly small frame. Otherwise, this thing just eats up bumps.. the difference between this and my Stumpjumper surprised me. Even with an overly stiff rear spring, the ride was very nice.

The geometry was not something I'm used to so I know it will take some time but within a few minutes my confidence was on the rise and I definitely tried some things I wouldn't think of with my SJ like riding down flights of stairs and small drops (I'm a newb so I'm just experimenting here, nothing that'll ensure an endo). It just felt solid all around, I really enjoyed it.

I got back on my SJ afterwards for a quick spin to check the rear derailleur which has been acting up, and immediately I just felt different in what I could do with the bike. My SJ makes me want to go fast, the Zone makes me want to run over and off of things.. I may have a SJ for sale soon .

I was also pretty surprised that I could bunnyhop about as high I can with my SJ without clipless pedals, this made me happy especially since this bike weighs like 12 pounds more. I guess it's a geometry thing.

Anyway, I'll write back with a Trail report later this week, so far so good.

mtbr member
    I've got the same Zone (with the TC fork).. Amazing on so many levels! Ibex literally makes ordering a bike factory direct something to give serious consideration. Good luck with your FR-1!
    Mountain Bike Tales
    Digital Mountain Bike Magazine

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, I had it out on the trail for the first time tonight. I was very pleased with the performance. There is some tuning to be done but that's all on me and it's only going to get better. The bike was super solid and just oozed with confidence down hill. The ride is a bit stiff right now because I need a new rear spring, see below, but I expected that. The uphill performance was OK, I didn't notice alot of pedal bob, if any, but the geometry is not designed around pedaling efficiency, that's for sure. I can't complain too much though because I get to use that as a reason for me being out of shape . In all seriousness, it's good enough climbing that it's not an issue and it's so fun going down that it's definitely not an issue.

I'll post again in a week or so after making some changes, I've ordered a new spring for the rear shock because the stock spring is WAY too stiff for my weight. I've also decided to use my need for a new fork on another bike to upgrade the fork on the Zone. So, thanks to IBEX who cut me a nice deal, I have a Manitou Sherman Slider Plus on the way.

Can't wait to get all that setup but I won't be waiting to get back out there in the meantime.

Freshly Fujified

All good stuff

Sounds like the bike is well suited for it's intended purpose. Glad to see you're enjoying it, and that Ibex is taking care of you on a fork deal. Great people to deal with.

Bob

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I bought one of the last 2005 17" Zones with the 170mm Drop Off Triple fork back in Dec. The stock rear spring is for a heavier rider. Actually, it fits me good since I'm around 220lbs. The bike is awesom and soaks up the bumps. The Drop Off Triple lacks adjustments, but doesn't feel bad to me. I think I'm going to leave this fork on it unless I have problems with it - so far so good. I really like this bike a lot - the shifting is smooth and rides nice. I don't notice any bob and it climbs well - I like the Manitou Metal shock on it. Couldn't beat it for the price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Finally got the bike back from the LBS today. Only had the time (and energy) for a short ride but having the proper spring, as expected, is SWEEET. The rear suspension is amazing. I thought it felt good before but now it's like heaven on every bump now. I have alot of work to do in dialing in the new Slider plus on the front. It was quite harsh on rocky downhills but actually climbed quite nicely, much better than the Drop-off that it replaced. I took it off some small drops (2'-3') as well and it felt really good there. I just need to find a happy medium. Unfortunately, I just didn't have the energy to do it Today and I didn't want to push myself and get hurt. I am unbelievably pleased with this bike. Pics to come with the new fork!