Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trophy SS Build

1K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  amillion3 
#1 ·
I posted this link in another thread, but I figured I would give this build it's own thread in the Ibex forum.

I'm in the phase of gathering all the parts needed to build a Trophy SS frame from scratch. I bought my Trophy SS and then sold it a few months later. I bought a heavy Cannondale and LOVED the full suspension for bombing down hills. But, most of the trails I ride are flat, with short climbs and descents. Much more fitting for a hardtail or rigid.

I decided that I would sell the Cannondale to fund a SS build and free up some cash. So, I bought my old Trophy frame back from the second owner.

Here is the plan:
Ibex Trophy SS with a rigid CF fork and a 650b wheel up front. Surly flip flop hub with a couple White Industries freewheels. Since I'm trying to save money on this build, the rest of the parts are nothing too fancy, just leftovers and used parts. Overtime, I'll upgrade components here and there.

Progress can be seen on my Flickr page. I'll start bumping this thread once the actual build commences.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9051963@N05/sets/72157621938709456/detail/

I welcome your feedback :thumbsup:

Andy

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm planning on fitting the fork this week (my wheel won't ship until next week sadly). How many of you cut the fork after determining the correct steerer length? I'm going to try and install the star nut without the tool, so we'll see how that goes.

#4 ·
I think I'll just run the fork as-is for now. I'll probably cut it after I figure out the proper stem length and height. Hopefully it doesn't become an issue during those test rides.

And the blue is a sweet color. I considered painting it another color, but the color is hard to beat. I think your Zone build is pretty close in color too, yes?

#5 ·
good looking bike you got there. keep us updated.

i dont cut my steer tube because i like change things up from time to time. so for whatever reason i leave it around 7.75 - 8 inches. this way im good if i choose to change the stem, headset, or bar height.

for star nuts, ive successfully driven star nuts down using metal spikes. chisel like things. make sure its pointed at one end. im sure you can figure out how to do the rest.

#8 ·
Well, the parts are starting to come in now...finally! Check the picture link on my first post for updated photos.

However, I ran into an issue when installing my crankset. I have the FireX arms and front ring as well as the GXP Bearings/Cups.

Based on this thread, I was under the (wrong) impression that it was all I needed. But, after installing the cups, I quickly realized I needed some sort of spindle still. I feel like I have the wrong crankset. Can someone point me in the right direction?

#10 ·
Right on Jake. The whole time I was installing the GXP I kept wondering what part was missing. Turns out the correct crankset was missing, doh! :madman: I found a local biker with a GXP-based crankset for sale. I'm hoping to get that part, this week. For now, at least the freewheels are installed.

:thumbsup:

#15 ·
Finally, some progress! The chain ring I ordered was back ordered and so I had to place another order and wait some more...But, the ring finally came in today, so of course, I installed it.

Now this thing is actually starting to look like a bike! Once I installed the cranks, I installed the chain. I had to fight with my chain a bit, as I have never installed a chain new. That was a good learning experience! After the rear wheel was tensioned, I set up the rear V brakes.

So now, I'm just waiting on the front wheel to arrive...I have the front disc brake and tire waiting to be installed. I'm so close!

#18 ·
Bars are just under 25.25" (~640mm) wide. They are just some old bars off a GF Paragon. I'm hoping they will be replaced by Groovy Luv Handles over the winter.

The front wheel was supposed to be shipped last Monday (Velocity Blunt rim, double butted spokes, & Hope Pro II hub). I'm hoping to get a tracking number or something else today... I am growing impatient with a mostly finished bike and gorgeous weather outside!

#19 ·
First ride...

I finally got the front wheel and put her on the road today. I was only able to ride around the neighborhood while I adjusted the seat, bars, etc. Once I got those dialed in, I took off for a spin around the block.

The good:
-She does an excellent job of climbing. Out of the saddle, the position is near perfect. I think I'd like another 10-20 mm of stem length.
-SS simplicity and efficiency. With the White Industries Freewheel, the engagement is very quick and the power is just a split second away.
-Lightweight bicycle! My last ride was a 30# bike, this probably tips the scales at ~21#. I'll take it to the LBS for a final weight.
-The Origin 8 fork is smooth and soaks up little bumps and cracks pretty well.
-Neo Moto front tire has tenacious grip, I am really looking forward to hitting up a trail soon.

The bad:
-I'm a bit worried the geometry that makes it so great for climbing will make descending a bit uncertain (time will tell though).
-The front end is surprisingly heavy. I think the budget front end parts (sans the fork) really add up. Avid BBDB caliper with an OEM shimano rotor, and a relatively heavy 650b rim do not work in my favor.

The other:
-I'll need a CF seatpost or a thudbuster, the AL frame is a bit harsh on the lower back. Recommendations?
-I'd like a set of Luv Handles, they have such a fine hand position, especially for a SS.

Trophy owners take note, I held up my 650b front wheel to the rear triangle, and it just may fit. Next time I take off the rear wheel, I'll do an actual fit check to see what the verdict is. :thumbsup:

I still have some tuning to do with the brakes to get them 'spot on', but she is mostly ready to go. Once I have everything good to go, I'll clean her up and take some quality photos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.