mtbr member

Trophy Comp X7, 150 miles later

Well, I feel a review is in order since I logged a bunch of miles.

I like the bike. Its definitly lighter, or so it seems, than the other crap bikes I used to own. It shifts nicely, brakes nicely after some adjustments and is a pleasure to ride.
    The pedals arent as bad as I have read. This is my first bike with clipless pedals and keeping them at the highest setting of tension has worked so far. No accidental unclipping. Also its nice to be able to pull on the pedal instead of push to get a form of rest.
    The tires are grippy but do not roll well. I thought it was just because I rode dirt that it didnt glide after I stopped pedaling but even on the boardwalk you lose speed very quickly after you stop pedaling. I think after these wear out I will buy some Kenda Kozmik IIs to replace them.
    Shifting. Wow! Sram got it right with this. Its very smooth between gears, shifter as short travel, controls "feel right."
    The seat. Its comfortable if riding for less than 45 minutes but is uncomfortable after that period of time. I have made it two hours on the bike by shifting my weight on the seat but I believe purcasing a set of padded undershorts are on the list of things to buy. I dont blame the seat for the discomfort, but its probably just something I would deal with regardless of the model.
    Overall Im glad I made the purchase and am looking forward to getting out again a few more times this month.

Cuánto pesa?

Good job! Od.

Good to hear from you..

That saddle thing is common, as all butts are not created equal..Go to your LBS and see if they'll let you test ride a couple styles..I personally like saddles with less padding and titanium rail that help suck up high speed vibrations..Keep in mind that a saddle has to brake in and that includes butts also

Also on the tire issue, the Kozmik's are sweet..There a fast rolling tire with good grip..I'm on my 2nd set and when these get thin I'll buy the Kozmik's again..You'll be faster immediately because the tires are so much lighter..Its all about rotational weight for faster acceleration (click>) KOZMIK's $27.98

Ride on Bro..

Jake..

PS, SRAM RULEs..
    Last edited by Jake Pay; 03-27-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Flying Goat
    WTB has a borrow a saddle program... go check out some LBS who has them... they're like library books you can borrow for a day...

Freshly Fujified

Saddle issue

It may not be the saddle at all. You said you were considering padded undershorts. What do wyou wear when you ride? If it's anything other than bike shorts and NOTHING underneath (no underwear), then this might be part of the issue. If you don't have bike shorts, buy some before you try a new saddle. You need them anyway.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    It may not be the saddle at all. You said you were considering padded undershorts. What do wyou wear when you ride? If it's anything other than bike shorts and NOTHING underneath (no underwear), then this might be part of the issue. If you don't have bike shorts, buy some before you try a new saddle. You need them anyway.

Bob

Riding Commando LOL ....
    [SIZE=1]<IBEX ASTA EXPERT X9><Motobecane Fly Pro><[/SIZE][SIZE=1]HOOK EM' HORNS[/SIZE][SIZE=1]><Go Cardinals!><Scotty Doesn't Know>[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey, make sure your hub cone/locknuts aren't tightened down too tight. That's what I found on the bike I just received and may make a difference in the free rolling of the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Olive Drab
    Well, I feel a review is in order since I logged a bunch of miles.

The tires are grippy but do not roll well. I thought it was just because I rode dirt that it didnt glide after I stopped pedaling but even on the boardwalk you lose speed very quickly after you stop pedaling. I think after these wear out I will buy some Kenda Kozmik IIs to replace them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde

Bob
    Bob,
    I wasnt going to ditch the saddle just yet as I hadnt tried with the padded ass undershorts. I Think that will fix this problem but im not sure which ones are decent or crap. im a big guy, not as big as you but still in the 220+ pound club. I have been wearing nike/addidas nylon lined and unlined pants with my antichafe underarmour shorts underneath.

Aritage,
    im not really familiar with bike lingo. what is the hub cone and locknut? is that the quick release mechanism for the wheel?

Cuánto pesa?

mtbr member
    thanks. looks like a project for tomorrow evening

mtbr member

Wheel bearings

Quote Originally Posted by armitage
    Hey, make sure your hub cone/locknuts aren't tightened down too tight. That's what I found on the bike I just received and may make a difference in the free rolling of the wheel.
    Yeppers! I worked in a shop about 12 years ago, and built hundreds of bikes. Every single one with cup and cone bearings was too tight from the factory. Every last one. Fast forward to today and this is still true.

Invest in 13 and 15mm cone wrenches, (the 17 outer is optional) and follow the link for the park tool site. Adjust the hubs and you will roll a bit faster, and your hubs will last much longer. Might as well repack the bearings as well, the factorys must not want to spend to much $$$ on grease.

Company CSR
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenlex
    Yeppers! I worked in a shop about 12 years ago, and built hundreds of bikes. Every single one with cup and cone bearings was too tight from the factory. Every last one. Fast forward to today and this is still true...
    Most hubs are going to come from the factory tweaked down pretty tight. That's because they loosen up as the break-in. If they start out set at, what would seem, the correct tension at the beginning, then by the time they do go through break-in they're too loose. Considering that most folks aren't much aware of making adjustments to the bearing tension on their hubs (at any point), this approach is much safer.

JA
    IBEX Bicycles Company CSR

www.ibexbikes.com