mtbr member

thinking about buying an ignition 2

I've been riding, and constantly upgrading, a dept. store schwinn full suspension bike for about 4 months. its not bad, but then, its not good either. i weighed it today, and it comes to just under 35 lbs. it has about 4 in. of travel front and rear, but something about it just leaves me unsatisfied. I've been looking into buying an ibex ignition 2 to replace it... however the big decision factor here is that i cannot afford to step up to the iggy 3 right now, and ibex is sold out of the iggy 2 in the size 18 frame. I'm about 5'11 and i was wondering what size frame you guys have and how tall you are? I would LOVE to ride one of these bikes before buying but i dont know of any local dealers of ibex. I think I'd fit the 20" frame, but i might be a tad more comfortable on an 18". I have heard that slightly larger frames give more stability on the downhills, which i like the idea of, but i dont want to be stretched out, or feel like I've ended up with too big of a bike. the weight factor of my current bike doesnt bother me, nor does the idea of riding a 35 lbs ibex. I weigh a bit over 200lbs so i really don't think pushing the pedals on a 35 pounder uphill is any big deal to me, I've never been a weight weenie anyway. its only the sizing factor that gets to me.
    So... what size frame do you ride, and how tall are you?

the top tubes on the ibex iggys sounds kind of long (almost 25" on the 20" frame????) maybe I'm wrong... anyway, let me know. I'd love to buy the bike since it seems like the best deal on a decent multi-link DS bike.
    thanks!
    -kevin

Hardtail Warrior
    I'm not the most qualified person to answer this question but I'll at least start you off. Others will chip in and give you more educated information.

First off, Ibex bikes are only sold direct, not in any LBSs. So they are not exactly DS bikes but they are just as good as any other brand name and if you're looking to get the best bike for your money, you are in the right place. To find a Trek, or Giant, or some other DS bike that compares to the Iggy 2 you're looking at spending about a grand.

I think the most important thing that could help with your question is what type of riding you want to do. If you just want to do XC type riding then a larger frame would probably be acceptable for the most part. If you want to bomb downhills then you want the smallest frame that feels good to you. The smaller the frame, the more control you're going to have. This is especially crucial at speed flying downhill. The bike will be more stable but tight turns and berms will give you some trouble most likely. Or are you more All Mountain or Freeride? Style is very important when picking a bike and is important when discussing from fit too.

Even if the frame was a *little* too large, you can always do things to compensate. This includes shortening the stem (120mm on the 20" iggy 2) and adjusting the seat. Good luck and I hope you find the right Ibex! I also think that if it won't fit you then don't get it regardless of the price. You wouldn't buy a size 14 Jordan shoe if it were on sale and you wear a size 10 would you?

mighty sailin' man
    If you have the cash for the 2 now then sell the Schwinn and step up to the 3. You'll be w/o bike for a few days but you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    well, can any of you ibex iggy owners do me a favor, and measure your seat tube, from the center of the BB to the top of the top tube, tell me what that measurement is. i know some maufacturors measure frame size a bit different, and i want to gain insight into the exact deminsions of the frame. thanks. i am pretty sure I'd want the 18 inch frame, and since its sold out of both colors on the iggy2, it kind of ties my hands. i need to sell a few things to justify this bike, but i dont think i can justify the 150 dollar jump. saving for a wedding kind of steals all the cash in my pocket.

Flying Goat
    i am in between sizes as well and have always favoured the smaller frame. Keep in mind that i race downhill, do a little bit of FR and a little bit of AM. Only recently have I been getting into XC again. In the smaller size, you get flickability. Throwing the bike around in the air or through tight sections get easier with the shorter wheelbase, and the shorter eff toptube makes it easier to pump through rhythm sections and such. The usually lower BB height will give you more stability and you can lean the bike easier through the corners as well. Unlike most LBS, i do not think compensating a wrong size with a longer/shorter stem will work. The stem length changes the bike characteristics a lot.

I would give Ibex a call if you're having a dilemma with sizing. I'm sure Jack will answer any of the questions you might have.

Ibex Bicycles
    1-888-741-1464

ps : 35lbs for an AM bike which wont break aint that shabby. The average AM bike comes out to 37lbs... My Iggy super weighs 33.9lbs and i thats with DH tyres and tubes and things i wont break. Just a thought. I'm also 5'8 and ride a small.

opivyattack - Ibex makes some awesome FS bikes. We need to get you on one and i'm sure you'll change your tune... Wanna testride a Zone or Iggy this Tuesday??? You ride SPD??? XD

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by Iridethedirt
    well, can any of you ibex iggy owners do me a favor, and measure your seat tube, from the center of the BB to the top of the top tube, tell me what that measurement is. i know some maufacturors measure frame size a bit different, and i want to gain insight into the exact deminsions of the frame. thanks. i am pretty sure I'd want the 18 inch frame, and since its sold out of both colors on the iggy2, it kind of ties my hands. i need to sell a few things to justify this bike, but i dont think i can justify the 150 dollar jump. saving for a wedding kind of steals all the cash in my pocket.
    there's a lot more to sizing than seattube and standover. But yes, i'm with you on getting an 18". That sounds about right for you. Ibex is out of Iggy 2 in 18" though leaving only the Iggy3. Looks like you might need to step your budget up a little bit...

Another question is... do you really need an FS? You could spring out for a Trophy. It's got bladed chainstays which will help with bump absorbtion a little bit. And it seemed like you had weight on your mind as well.
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html

Hardtail Warrior
    Change my tune? I didn't think I said anything bad about Ibex FS bikes.. I'll probably be getting an Ibex FS as my next bike...

That day won't come soon enough.

SPD meaning Shimano clipless? Hell no. I'm flats only.

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by opivyattack

SPD meaning Shimano clipless? Hell no. I'm flats only.

bring your pedals and a pedal wrench... XD

Hardtail Warrior
    lol nah it's good.. I'll just ride my bike. I'll meet you at the top.. I'll text you when I get there

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by opivyattack
    lol nah it's good.. I'll just ride my bike. I'll meet you at the top.. I'll text you when I get there
    sweet... lets say maybe 12pm??? Top parking lot? XD

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sorry to Highjack this thread but I was wondering what you guys think about the ignition 2
    compared to a Jamis XC. i'm looking at buying as bike soon and they are close in price.

Thank you

David

Flying Goat
    wihch Jamis are you looking at? the Dakar XC?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Flying Goat
    I would go with the Ibex...

Better fork, brakes, drivetrain. You're also running 08 components on the Iggy versus 06 components on the Jamis. Seems like a pretty brainless decision to me... Lols...

Cuánto pesa?

Listen! May I suggest.............................

I suggest you post your question in/on the> Bike and Frame discussion board so
    you can get non-bias opinions..

Be sure and link both bikes and your riding style..

Jake

EDITE: I was just over at the Bike and Frame board and see that you've already posed your question..

So I'll give you my view..

The Jamis dakar (in question) was likely a fine bike in 06'..Components only get more refine
    every year and things like the Manitou Splice are no longer in production as of 06'..

IMHO there is no compairing the two bikes you listed..I vote IBEX. what did you exspect

Last edited by Jake Pay; 06-12-2008 at 11:48 PM.