Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    OF Clydesdale
    Sep 2009

Newbie needs info on Ignition Super or Super Pro

I am getting into XC single track trailing biking and want to take advantage of the IBEX sale currently going on. My choice is either the Ignition Super or the Super Pro. Is it worth the extra $100 for the Super Pro? I will be doing mostly single track XC biking with little to no jumping or downhill action. My returns to the base camp will be via washboard logging roads, therefore 50% uphill XC single track and 50% washboard logging roads back down. Of note is the fact that I am a long bodied Clydesdale. 6' (32.5" inseam) about 245# with goal weight of about 215 in <6mos. I will be doing a lot of biking in the so. cal area initially, but mostly biking in Nor. Cal (Lassen Park area) this next summer (lot's of great single track stuff there on the Sierra Trail. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I think either would be fine, but for another $100 on the super pro your get the x-9 upgraded components, a Recon 335 fork, hydraulic brakes, Firex 3.3 crank, but the rear shock (Ario 2.2) is the same on both. So I think the extra 100 bucks in this case is worth it. I don't know what frame size your were going for but the super and super pro are only available in the 18" frame, they are out of the 20" according to the website, which I think would fit you ok, but you may have to crack the seat up....I like the bar as low as possible, but others may like it different.....see my ibex post on sizing help to get a better judge if the frame would be a good fit, Sizing help

I went for the sport (budget), but I will prob. upgrade the rear shock when I get some extra money-Fox float-r, r23, or something equivalent. I don't know much about the mechanical vs. hydraulic breaks as this is my first bike with disc breaks, but the mechanical were easy for me to adjust and work on, maybe someone else will chime in on their opinion of hydraulic breaks....since I have no experience with these yet. Will you be doing anything with drops, downhill with jumps, rocks, roots, ect....? This is the type of stuff I ride here in NC and the Ignition rides great, a big improvement over the hard tail for this type of riding. You may want to ask others about the nor. Cali trails you mentioned as I am not familiar with the area, maybe Jake or dog will have some additional ideas and advice..
    Hope this helps,
    David
    Diamondback Sortie 2-2008, Ibex Ignition-2009,Trek 7000-1993,
    Trek 1000 Road-2006

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    dog and poh both live in nor cal
    hydrolic's are simply amazing! they are effortless and silky smooth. they offer way more power as well. only downfall is there weight. if you go to your local shop try and demo some hydrolic's and you will be convinced.
    the extra 100 is completely worth it, although the white super is gorgeous! i was NOT impressed with the RS recon though, mine is sitting in a box. but i had a unique problem with one i bought from jenson(not there fault).
    the ignition will climb any single track and bomb DH trails it's an amazing all around bike. you wont be disappointed. i have ridden many other full suspensions and i'm in love with my iggy.
    as for sizing you may want to get the 20''. im 5' 10'' and my 18'' is perfect for me especially because im a little guy. you will be able to control the 20'' well because of your size.
    i hope this helps you out.
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessfools
    dog and poh both live in nor cal
    hydrolic's are simply amazing! they are effortless and silky smooth. they offer way more power as well. only downfall is there weight. if you go to your local shop try and demo some hydrolic's and you will be convinced.
    the extra 100 is completely worth it, although the white super is gorgeous! i was NOT impressed with the RS recon though, mine is sitting in a box. but i had a unique problem with one i bought from jenson(not there fault).
    the ignition will climb any single track and bomb DH trails it's an amazing all around bike. you wont be disappointed. i have ridden many other full suspensions and i'm in love with my iggy.
    as for sizing you may want to get the 20''. im 5' 10'' and my 18'' is perfect for me especially because im a little guy. you will be able to control the 20'' well because of your size.
    i hope this helps you out.

i live in norcal as well. im closer than mr perc and dog are (judging by where you said you are going to ride) i live in davis, ca. originally from san fran.

from the type of riding you described, it sounds like you would be better suited for the asta. it is a fast XC machine. wont take a down as well as an iggy but will smoke it going up. ive owned and ridden one since the beginning of summer and it is fast. i won my first 3 XC races (of my life) on it as well. but if you wanna go iggy by all means go iggy. it will still pedal up and still bomb down.

the extra $100 is definately worth it. the more you spend up front on any bike, the less you will have to spend later on. bike companies are always passing otu deals when you go one step up within their line. bike shops even buy bikes from companies to strip for parts and make a ton more money off the parts alone than they would just selling the bike.

but if you are gearless ie. no helmet clothes, shoes etc. also in a budget crunch, you might be better off saving your money and getting yourself a decent helmet at the very least.

my $0.02

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I agree with the previous post......you need an XC bike like the Asta and not an AM bike like the Ignition.....the Ignition would be overkill for the type of riding that you plan on doing...I own the Ignition and its not a light-weight bike.....if you are not gonna ride aggressively and/or on aggressive trails you'll basically be pedaling around with the extra weight of the burlier frame of the Ignition.....and I'm sure the Asta would be a better climber due to the shorter travel suspension.

ride hard take risks
    I'll 3rd the Asta it is a very capable XC/AM bike and sounds better suited for what your going to ride and future riding. If you feel the need for more cush latter the Asta does ride well with a 120mm fork but their will be a slight sacrifice in tight trails.

Difference between mechanical and hydraulic some say is personal. For me mechanical brakes need regular adjusting as the housing compresses and pads wear. Hydraulic self adjust just like a moto and the feel/feedback is much better for more controlled braking with less effort.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

OF Clydesdale
    Sep 2009
    Thanks all for the info... sounds like I do need the Asta.... If I don't get with it right away I'll have to settle for the Iggy , but sound like both will get the job done... I appreciate all your comments.

Now maybe you all can give me some info as to where I can go to get trail info that includes waypoints. When I get to NorCal and do some trails, I want to be able to map it later and give others a chance to take my 'journey'. There are a lot of cool single track trails up there.

ride hard take risks
    My son flf has raced XC successfully on his Ignition but he's a animal and would race XC on a 8" travel bike if he had to.

MTrail rides his Ignition every where on the East Toast so it is a capable all around performer.

Paging Linga for tour of trail services.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    My son flf has raced XC successfully on his Ignition but he's a animal and would race XC on a 8" travel bike if he had to.

MTrail rides his Ignition every where on the East Toast so it is a capable all around performer.

Paging Linga for tour of trail services.
    linga reporting for duty

not too sure about the way points on the trails but i am familiar with what they are. personally i have never used them.

for the sacramento area there area few good places to ride. you can get your fix on everything from epic xc rides to lift services. ill tell you about the sac area rides since that is the ones i am most familiar with.

the biggest trail to ride in the sac area would be the forest hill divide in auburn. this is a decently sized system of trails where you can get your fix of just about anything. the trails are beginner friendly and get progressively harder depending how fast you go through them. there is also mammoth bar which is an OHV park. this is where people get their down hill fix and shuttle runs in. ive ridden it once and i must say, the trails "rockies" and "murderers" sure live up to their name.

the second place ill mention would be rockville. this is just outside of fairfield. might be a little far for you but it is worth checking out. this is a small state park that requires a permit. i believe it is about $6 for a day. well worth the fee though. the trails are well maintained. i would also call this the most technically challenging place i have ever ridden. i have never crashed, unclipped, stalled, etc in once place. not too pedally but will definitely get you a good work out because the ups and downs are so technical.

the next place i would mention would be granite bay. this is a very flat pedally place to ride. great for exercise and practicing your sprints. this place is in no way technical, although it does have its sections. my best description of this trail would be "the perfect place to take your girlfriend on her first ride" (shares this title with golden gate park in san francisco) you can get a 10 mile loop here but thats about it.

for places more north and well worth the drive there is lake tahoe.

first tahoe destination is north star. this is located in truckee. this is the big destination for all the norcal DH'er. that is their claim to fame. but what people dont know is that it is also an awesome place to ride XC. think of it this way. if the hill is steep enough to warrant chair lifts to take bikers and snowboarders up, then it is steep enough to make you go nuts on a long strung out climb. a lift ticket is $39 if you are going to the top. otherwise a pedal pass and hike pass are free. i highly recommend this place. it has something for everyone. it even has a little village so the rest of your family (assuming you have kids or something) can hang out and enjoy activities such as rock climbing, bungee trampoline, and ice skating. all while daddy is out in his playground. i cant say enough about this place.

the next tahoe destination would be kirkwood. this place is no where near as fancy as northstar. but it still has its merits. it is not as popular so the mountain is always fairly empty. i went there last weekend and i never had to wait to get on the chair. i never ran into anyone on the trails. just a good whole day of riding bikes with minimal stopping. they also offer a lift service for $34. which means if you opt for a pedal pass you can still get some good climbing in.

both tahoe destinations have DH rental bikes available. so if you feel the need to shred its there.

the last place i will mention is downieville. i personally have never ridden here so i cant vouch for or against it. i do hear endless stories from friends, forums... all over that this place is THE NOR CAL destination to ride. shuttle services available. i hear that one shuttle run will get you about an hour or two of DH if you are bombing it. so i assume that the climbing would be pretty epic.

wow this is a long post. illl stop it here. i just took sniffer (see below) out for a 70 mile ride to lake berryessa. so im pretty beat.

nap time. hope this info helps.

Joe aka Linga

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    the ignition would best be called a trail bike in between XC and AM its perfectly capable of XC racing. and tough enough for some DH use.
    mine sits at 27lbs so its not a beast by any means. thats lighter then the asta expert
    My single track in my area is rougher then some of the DH trails around here
    although for racing and XC use the asta is meant for that.
    but the ignition looks way better
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    mine sits at 27lbs so its not a beast by any means. thats lighter then the asta expert
    how about my asta custom

all seriousness aside. i do agree that the iggy can take a beating. mainly going off my rides with mr perc.

ride hard take risks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products

NedwannaB

Ff

the ignition would best be called a trail bike in between XC and AM its perfectly capable of XC racing. and tough enough for some DH use.
    My single track in my area is rougher then some of the DH trails around here
    although for racing and XC use the asta is meant for that.
    but the ignition looks way better
    What fork and travel are you running on that now??
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    thats the magura menja at 130mm travel. The menja is the same as there higher end lauren i believe it is called but it does not have a platform adjustment (albert select).

its an awesome fork! I have heard people saying magura is new and don't know what there doing... they may be new to bike parts but with over 100 years as a stable company they have a strong reputation. they made my RS recons look like garbage.

i dont use lock out or care for a platform on my fork so i went with the menja at 130mm at less money when 120mm would fit my style better but for more money and worthless bling. if your looking for a new fork i defiantly say take a look at magura, it rides better then any fork i have ridden before.

maybe ill take a few snap shots of it now that its got new wheels, deraileur, no chain guard, tires, rotors, computer and pump.
    RAH!

ride hard take risks
    Wheel pics your such s tease.
    Formotion Products

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    you cant tell me you dont wanna see them
    RAH!

"They Call Me Bone'z"

RAH!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

very nice

i like the hope pro 2 hubs. did you get those custom laced? if so where at?

overall thats a sick wheel set up you got there.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    i had them built by chainreaction. they did an awesome job! they roll better then my wheels, since i cant get them perfectly centered. they are precisely tensioned even came with a sheet that said each sides tensions.
    These are my first hope product and they are very nice so far. i wish they were lighter but i hear they will last a lifetime. the set weighs 1576 compared to the 1856 i was running on. if i could afford it id make them super light but with these i shouldn't have to worry about ruining them.
    it sits about 27lb's without computer, bottle, pump, and saddlebag.
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i had them built by chainreaction. they did an awesome job! they roll better then my wheels, since i cant get them perfectly centered. they are precisely tensioned even came with a sheet that said each sides tensions.
    These are my first hope product and they are very nice so far. i wish they were lighter but i hear they will last a lifetime. the set weighs 1576 compared to the 1856 i was running on. if i could afford it id make them super light but with these i shouldn't have to worry about ruining them.
    it sits about 27lb's without computer, bottle, pump, and saddlebag.
    thats not a bad weight at all. my asta is 25.1 lbs with everything it has on it right now. i got some light XC wheels which i believe come in at just under 1600 g's. so you're doing a good job at the iggy weight.

as for my asta, i weight weenied it enough. upgrades will come but i already broke the bank building it. its fast and it wins races. thats what i built it for and thats all i care about.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    i haven't taken a first YET but hopefully with the highschool league ill do well
    RAH!

ride hard take risks
    i haven't taken a first YET but hopefully with the highschool league ill do well
    Hows your fund raiser working???
    Formotion Products

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    my principle pushed it to back to school night
    i got about a week or so till i present it. what sucks is i think there turnout for back to school night is gonna be terrible. hopefully they will allow me to present it to the students.
    RAH!

ride hard take risks
    my principle pushed it to back to school night
    i got about a week or so till i present it. what sucks is i think there turnout for back to school night is gonna be terrible. hopefully they will allow me to present it to the students.
    Bootleg it, mass emailing, fliers ya know be creative when you need to make it happen.
    Formotion Products

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    our school has a news broadcast that plays in our homeroom. i plan on filming some promotions to play to the entire school.
    i can send letters to all current students and last years graduates and thats it. ill make fliers as well and all paperwork will be available to the students anytime at the student store or office.
    RAH!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast