mtbr member
    Feb 2008

New HG Chain For Asta Pro = Smooth

I took delivery of my 2009 Asta Pro in May. After about 500 miles or so I noticed some shifting problems and a clunk coming from the drivetrain during an afternoon ride. After a quick inspection, I noticed the stock KMC chain was starting to tweak at the master link. I ran down to the local REI that night and grabbed a Shimano HG-53 (all they had) and installed it.

I know it is not the fanciest chain, but the switch to the HG chain made the XT drivetrain smoother than it was at day one with the KMC. I have ridden the chain HARD for a few hundred miles now in sandy conditions with no issues and continued smooth shifting. If you’re looking to replace the chain on your Asta Pro, I recommend going to the Shimano HG line. I know everyone has their preference, but it made a big difference on my bike so I wanted to share.

Anyone have a similar experience?

ride hard take risks
    Sweetness good info here italiastraps
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You may even get better results with an XT or XTR chain. I ended up with the HG-53 because its what was available locally and I wanted to ride the next day.

mtbr member
    yeap shimanos chains are very dependable, but their prices are so high now. I had to switch to KMC X9 back again. The X9 is an ok chain, but I would venture to say that it is not as durable as an XTR....
    [SIZE="4"]´07 IBEX Asta Expert X9 "La Bonita"
    ´04 LITESPEED Classic "Chispita"[/SIZE]
    Jan ´07 @ 224lbs - Jan ´08 @165lbs - Goal @ 155lbs

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorholguin
    yeap shimanos chains are very dependable, but their prices are so high now. I had to switch to KMC X9 back again. The X9 is an ok chain, but I would venture to say that it is not as durable as an XTR....
    Running an X9 here and no problems... and shimano doesnt make gold chains...

ride hard take risks
    Scram does have the Gold Chain without the Cokeaine.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot