Portland, OR

My Trophy SS Experience

Alright, I've had a lot of time in the saddle now, I feel like I can give it a good 1 month review. I've been riding the bike about once a day, I took the bike up mt st helens and it did great! I did not use the sliver, but a reba that day. Helens put a lot of abuse onto the frame, I was certainly not used to 2.0" XC tires and a stiff rear end. I followed my buddies up and down. The bikes they used were a, 2005 stock giant reign, and a older 2003 specialized enduro.

I've been LOVING the bike so far, its been a great ride! Its taken me a long time to get used to SS, now I kinda like it. the sliding dropouts are great! my chain stretched a little (normal) and it was very easy to re-tension the chain. I've put some really hard climbs on the frame, the dropouts did not move.

The frame has been great, I cant say enough about it! but the frame isnt everything...now for the components.

I think that the Trophy SS is really well balanced. My Trophy weighs in at 22.39 pounds with the super heavy well go platforms (not stock) it is the lightest bike I've ever owned. Coming in second place was my old iron horse warrior at 27.1 pounds. I'm in love with the Avid BB-7 brakes, they were so simple to get properly adjusted! I wish every brake was this easy to set up. They're still a little bit in their wear in stage though (avid brakes in my experience take a lot longer to wear in)

The Manitou Sliver came as a real surprise! TPC dampened, compression/rebound adjustment, air and a lockout! fork is LIGHT too! Took little time out of the box to wear in, is butter now.

The cranks have been great, so complaints there at all, stem was a little sketchy.. was afraid I was going to crack it tightening the clamps. but its holding up fine. bars/seatpost havent given me any trouble even with a few crashes on them.

My favorite component that came on the bike though, aside from the brakes, is the wheelset. Novatech hubs on DS2-XC sun rims. The novatech hubs I had never heard of, I figured they were some branch off of joytech or something. but they're seriously very...VERY nice hubs. the wheels are built well and its a very solid wheelset. The novatech hubs sound like my friends chris king hubs, real good buzzzz to them.

anyway, heres a few more close up pics of everything, got some closeups of the welds/paint so you can see how beautiful this bike really is. I hardly ever wash my bikes, last time the Zone got a bath was up at whistler. but the trophy's paint inspires me to keep the bike clean. just look at the pics and you'll see why

Enjoy...

[SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Flying Goat
    nice write up... but once again... we want some action pics... XD

Cuánto pesa?
    The novatech hubs were a pleasant surprise..Smooth spinning and like you said. "a real good buzzzz to them"

Great report..............

Jake......

PS. Hey WTF, it's cleaner than my Trophy Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's all right. I'll provide the action pictures once I get mine. :P

Great write up. There's not a lot of info about this great bike online. Excellent pictures too.

So where did you get the platform pedals? Those look good, and I'll definitely need them.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    you want action pics? alright ...come and take them bwahaha.

Since I'm not bombing down sections at 40mph, my self timer thing on my camera might work and pull off some decent shots.

I my friend had brought along his camera, he was storing it in his pocket and crashed, wrecked the camera. they weren't action shots, but our bikes up at helens. I know he saved his CF card, so I'll try and get a hold of them. I'm going on a quick local ride tomorrow, I'll self timer then.

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    The novatech hubs were a pleasant surprise..Smooth spinning and like you said. "a real good buzzzz to them"

Great report..............

Jake......

PS. Hey WTF, it's cleaner than my Trophy Pro
    Now I see why your trophy is so clean too nice of a paint job to hide with dirt.

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Beautiful. Clean bikes ride so nice (it's a mental thing I think). I agree with you about the BB7s. Those are some kick ass, well designed brakes. Seriously, great looking bike, man. That blue really explodes.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    This coming from the guy that never takes pictures because he wants to be in them.

Sweet bike todd_freeride & a excellent write up. I could possibly make it 3 houses to the top of my paved hill on a SS.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot