Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elsito99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    102

    Marzocchi MX vs RS Tora 302 ( Iggy 3 vs Super )

    Hi Guys,


    As many of you, I am getting into my "decision - purchase time" for my new bike. I am trying to buy before March, so here is my question.

    My main concern is having a good fork, so how does the MX compare to the RS Tora Air? Does air always mean better? I am coming from an Ibex 450, so I don't have experience with a good fork.

    I am partial to Shimano, so my decision is basically coming down to the Iggy 3 in Pre-launch or the Iggy Super at full cost. Is the air fork worth the extra $200? Does the MX have rebound?

    I appreciate all of your opinions as I know you guys are very knowledgeable .


    FYI I ride Aggressive XC - AM, 5'8 150 lbs Maximum drop about 3-4 ft

    TIA

  2. #2
    Explosive
    Reputation: explodingtaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    309
    YES!

    It is worth the extra for all of the other components. Just look at the fork as a bonus. And If you do it now you are only looking at $150 more.
    [SIZE="1"]I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television; we are not all vibrant fun loving sex maniacs. Many of us are bitter, resentful individuals who remember the good old days, when entertainment was mild and inoffensive.[/SIZE]

  3. #3
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by elsito99
    Hi Guys,
    As many of you, I am getting into my "decision - purchase time" for my new bike. I am trying to buy before March, so here is my question.

    My main concern is having a good fork, so how does the MX compare to the RS Tora Air? Does air always mean better? I am coming from an Ibex 450, so I don't have experience with a good fork.

    I am partial to Shimano, so my decision is basically coming down to the Iggy 3 in Pre-launch or the Iggy Super at full cost. Is the air fork worth the extra $200? Does the MX have rebound?

    I appreciate all of your opinions as I know you guys are very knowledgeable .


    FYI I ride Aggressive XC - AM, 5'8 150 lbs Maximum drop about 3-4 ft

    TIA
    Ignition-3..
    Marzocchi MX Lockout - 120mm (medium spring rate) Should work real nice at your weight..Not sure about rebound on this model, an email to IBEX will get that answered..
    Rock Shox BAR 2.1 Air* (good adjustability for various terrains) Great shock at this price range..

    Ignition Super..
    RS Tora 302 Air 130mm travel w/ Lockout & Air and Manitou Radium RL Air* w/ Lockout will give you even more adjustability..

    Both bikes offer good mechanical discos..The BB7's are reviewed as #1..

    As for drivetrains that's a component preference issue..Both are spoken for highly in there class..

    Your pick brother, both are real great bikes for there price range.

    Jake

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elsito99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    102
    Thanks for your answers.


    Basically the common issue is that air gives more adjustability so it is in fact better than the spring.


    Maybe I am just thinking I may have trouble adapting to the SRAM thumb only triggers.


    The other thing is color, which shouldn't matter, but that lime green looks very cool.

  5. #5
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by elsito99
    Thanks for your answers.


    Basically the common issue is that air gives more adjustability so it is in fact better than the spring.


    Maybe I am just thinking I may have trouble adapting to the SRAM thumb only triggers.


    The other thing is color, which shouldn't matter, but that lime green looks very cool.
    If the LIME GREEN gives ya wood By all means get splinters J/K

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elsito99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    102
    So how difficult is it to adapt to SRAM thumb only shifters???


    After riding Shimano it may seem uncomfortable, but maybe it just takes a few rides??

  7. #7
    Explosive
    Reputation: explodingtaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by elsito99
    but maybe it just takes a few rides??
    The consensus seems to be just a few rides! I like the Thumb only unless we are talking XTR and then it is a toss up for me X0 vs XTR. That is one tough choice.
    [SIZE="1"]I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television; we are not all vibrant fun loving sex maniacs. Many of us are bitter, resentful individuals who remember the good old days, when entertainment was mild and inoffensive.[/SIZE]

  8. #8
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by elsito99
    So how difficult is it to adapt to SRAM thumb only shifters???


    After riding Shimano it may seem uncomfortable, but maybe it just takes a few rides??
    For me triggers are a "NO" Missing part of my right thumb so I use XO grippers..

    I have tried X series triggers and they are sweet but hard on me for long bumpy rides (arrgh)..Over on the SRAM board (here on MTBR) there are a lot of converts that swear they'll never go back to shimano..You could ask over there and get some experienced opinions..

    Jake

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elsito99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by explodingtaco
    The consensus seems to be just a few rides! I like the Thumb only unless we are talking XTR and then it is a toss up for me X0 vs XTR. That is one tough choice.

    Thanks for your answer. What is the difference of the XTR??

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elsito99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    For me triggers are a "NO" Missing part of my right thumb so I use XO grippers..

    I have tried X series triggers and they are sweet but hard on me for long bumpy rides (arrgh)..Over on the SRAM board (here on MTBR) there are a lot of converts that swear they'll never go back to shimano..You could ask over there and get some experienced opinions..

    Jake
    Thanks Jake, I will search for threads over at the SRAM forum, I am sure I will find lots of opinions.

  11. #11
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by elsito99
    Thanks Jake, I will search for threads over at the SRAM forum, I am sure I will find lots of opinions.
    Things can be a bit slow over there so if you ask anything, be patient

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Duckiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    632
    I just ordered an Ignition-Super and that was my question. All of my other bikes had Shimmano but everyone I talk to that uses sram swears by the sram stuff. We will see what happens.

  13. #13
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckiller
    I just ordered an Ignition-Super and that was my question. All of my other bikes had Shimano but everyone I talk to that uses sram swears by the scream stuff. We will see what happens.
    Welcome to the Forums and congratulations on your future IBEX

    Click-A-Pic
    [SIZE="2"]SRAM!!![/SIZE]

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elsito99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    102
    Welcome to the Ibex family.


    Yes, I currently ride an Alpine 450 Shimano so it will be a change.

    The drivetrain doesn't worry me as I know both brands are good, my only problem will be the thumb only trigger.

    I guess it should be a few rides, but I read people like it because it leaves the index for the brake.


    We will see.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: txjohng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by elsito99
    Welcome to the Ibex family.


    Yes, I currently ride an Alpine 450 Shimano so it will be a change.

    The drivetrain doesn't worry me as I know both brands are good, my only problem will be the thumb only trigger.

    I guess it should be a few rides, but I read people like it because it leaves the index for the brake.


    We will see.

    going from shimano to sram does not take much to get use to ...about an hour ..and i can easily switch between shimano/sram without much of an issue ...

    now, for me. SRAM>shimano. the x9 on my asta are sweet. I cannot say I'll never use shimano again, but if i have a choice between bike a and b and the only difference is sram vs shimano, I'd take sram any day. of course that is assuming one bike does not have xtr and the other x5 or something like that.
    [SIZE=1]<IBEX ASTA EXPERT X9><Motobecane Fly Pro><[/SIZE][SIZE=1]HOOK EM' HORNS[/SIZE][SIZE=1]><Go Cardinals!><Scotty Doesn't Know>[/SIZE]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •