mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Ignition sticker removal

Hi all. It's been a while since I've been around here. It looks like the place has changed a lot in my absence; hopefully it's for the better.

Does anyone have some experience removing the stickers from an Ignition frame? Mine is a 2009. I normally get all of the manufacturer's markings off of a vehicle as soon as I take ownership, but it's taken me almost 2 years to finally get around to it with this bike. It seems like the stickers might actually be under the clear coat, so this might be more complicated than what I'm used to. Any tips?

mighty sailin' man
    you are correct, clear coated on
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

gnuH
    Use an angle grinder.
    A green bird with a red body. We could look it up in a book. Or we could look up

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider View Post
    Use an angle grinder.
    While I'm sure that'd work, I was sort of hoping for something that might leave the base coat intact. I was hoping to get away without having to paint the whole frame. It sounds like that's not going to happen.

Oh well, thanks for confirming they're under the clear coat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post
    Hi all. It's been a while since I've been around here. It looks like the place has changed a lot in my absence; hopefully it's for the better.

Does anyone have some experience removing the stickers from an Ignition frame? Mine is a 2009. I normally get all of the manufacturer's markings off of a vehicle as soon as I take ownership, but it's taken me almost 2 years to finally get around to it with this bike. It seems like the stickers might actually be under the clear coat, so this might be more complicated than what I'm used to. Any tips?
    I just removed the stickers off an old frame I had laying around. The stickers were under the clear coat, so it all had to come off. I used a product called Citristrip. It will strip everthing down to the bare metal. Here is the directions I followed (found in the motobecane forum). I let the citristrip sit overnight. It all just rubbed off.

My experience with the Fly Team Ti, which took about 30 minutes, including set-time for the Citristrip, and which I did OUTSIDE (with a respirator, to boot - yes, I'm paranoid about this kind of stuff, even if the solvent is considered a "safer" product, whatever that means):

Decals: Citristrip - which has a nice stays-where-you-put-it gel consistency, so unless you're sloppy, it's not going to be leaching all over the tubes and into places you absolutely don't want a highly effective solvent getting into. Follow the label directions, and the decals will wipe right off without the need for any abrasion or (yikes!) scraping. If you do the removal with the cables/housings/hoses still on, make sure you mask or, better yet, simply don't get the Citristrip on the housings as it will soften/dissolve them. You may need to repeat the application of Citristrip once or twice, depending on how thick you make each application and how long you leave it on to dissolve. To remove the "ghosting" of the letters that might persist after the macro removal, dab some Citristrip on a soft rag and keep rubbing the outlines with even pressure in a circular motion.

Head tube badge: Blow a hairdryer on the headbadge so it loosens up the adhesive, and, when sufficiently soft/loosened, pull it off. You may need to "tease" the badge off, by which I mean you lift the badge off a little at a time, apply heat, lift, apply heat, lift, etc. Be careful to not burn yourself as the headbadge and surrounding area will get very hot. Any adhesive gum remaining on the headtube after removal of the badge can be removed with Citristrip, Goo-Gone, or similar solvents.

To deactivate Citristrip residue and for general cleanup, soak a rag with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and wipe down areas that were in contact with the Citristrip.