mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Ignition-3 soon to be mine

So...after exhausting every google word combination possible, I've found almost nothing but good things said about Ibex bikes. It almost seems suspicious. But I went ahead and placed an order for an Ignition-3.

I told a buddy about it afterwards, who's been riding mountain bikes for many years and knows a thing or two or three. He says it's a bad deal - namely the drive train components are entry-level trash, the bike may easily be a poor fit, it's heavy, and pedal bob could be a bad problem for me, living in a hilly area. He says FSBs under $1000 aren't worth it, and a hardtail, namely a Specialized Rockhopper would be a better investment given my local geography and price range.

My retort was the customer service seems great; there's a 30-day return policy if it's too heavy/pedal bobby/poorly fits; I've yet to find a bad review; and I want a bike to grow into without inherent design limitations keeping me from breaking before the bike does. I don't know about the Ignition's fit but I'm not awfully picky about it.

But all his points got me thinking - is he right? Until March, when the bike hits my doorstep and I can figure it all out for myself, I'll be twiddling my thumbs waiting. Mrpercussive, I'll get ahold of you soon after that and we can figure something out.

Black Sheep rising
    Well, as to fit, he may be right, or wrong. Only you can make that determination after you ride it a bit.

The drivetrain isn't "trash" (though I would have preferred the Ig-2 or Super, 'cuz I'm SRAM's b1tch ). Given the price point, I'm pretty sure you would not have done any better at your LBS.

I had similar jitters after I ordered my Ibex. The proof is in the pudding - tell your buddy to quiet-up until it gets there and you ride it. I don't think you will be dissatisfied. .
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

I don't wear a watch.
    A few months ago I may have said something similar. I also came from the school that if you want a good FS bike, prices start at $1500. But, that was before I learned of IBEX and now I know better. If you go shopping for a FS bike for $800 at your LBS, I would agree that you would be better off with a HT. IBEX has given us a different option now. There are others that are also doing the "direct to consumer" thing as well, but I believe that IBEX is the best of them.

I don't see how someone can say the those things about the bike having never ridden one. Drivetrain is junk? Since when is Deore and LX junk? Not even close.

50 people have told you that the Iggy-3 is going to be great. One says it's junk. You do the math and sleep well knowing that you just saved at least $600 on your bike

Company CSR
    Quote Originally Posted by cogitoergosoup
    ...He says FSBs under $1000 aren't worth it, and a hardtail, namely a Specialized Rockhopper would be a better investment given my local geography and price range...
    Funny! The Rockhopper Comp Disc, which lists for $940 (that's $140 more than you paid for the Ignition-3), has the same drivetrain, except the Rockhopper does not have the upgrade to LX on the rear derailleur. The Rockhopper has the same brakes and same fork, but lower quality wheels and cockpit set... and it's a hardtail. The closest equivalent in the IBEX line-up is our Alpine 650 hardtail which sells for $669. The only higher equipped Rockhopper is the Pro Disc version going for $1200. Your friend's comment on the drivetrain was clearly a lie, and his suggestion of an alternate purchase clearly ill informed.

Your buddy is out of touch with reality with regard to FS bikes, too. It may have been hard to find a decent FS bike on a budget a number of years ago, but these days there are quite a lot of very worthwhile FS bikes under $1000... and the Ignition series stands among the best in this bracket. You might try pointing out to him that what you bought would be going for MSRP if we sold through dealers like Specialized does. You bought a $1200 bike, but you only paid $800 for it. Also note that the new Ignition frame was originally designed as a replacement for our Atlas series. It could easily have appeared on models we'd sell for $2000 (MSRP upwards of $3000).

Don't let one fool's opinion cause you to question a shrewd decision. Anyone who essentially proposes that FS bikes are only for flatlanders is dopey. He either doesn't know what he's talking about, or lied to you to further his own agenda. It's hard to tell which. You bought a heck of a nice bike. You won't be disappointed, though your friend may be when it becomes clear that he was so wrong on so many levels.

Regards,
    Jack A.
    IBEX Bicycles
    IBEX Bicycles Company CSR

www.ibexbikes.com

Flying Goat
    You tell him Jack!!! XD

cogitoersoup - Yea dude... you got a good deal and you friend doesnt know any better... XD We should ride soon. What are you doing saturday??? if you need a ride from bart or bike to ride, just let us know... You'll get to see some Ibex in action. Including my brand new Ibex Ignition Super... What do ya say??? XD

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    You tell him Jack!!! XD

cogitoersoup - Yea dude... you got a good deal and you friend doesnt know any better... XD We should ride soon. What are you doing Saturday??? if you need a ride from Bart or bike to ride, just let us know... You'll get to see some Ibex in action. Including my brand new Ibex Ignition Super... What do ya say??? XD
    Where are the Pictures? Mr Poh, you above all know the "RULES" J/K

Jake

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    Where are the Pictures? Mr Poh, you above all know the "RULES" J/K

Jake

mtbr member
    I might have to say I was skeptical at first too. Now that my Super is in my garage, tell your friend he is retarded. Even the guys at my LBS that sell Jamis, Felt, and Scott bikes (not crap like Specialized) were amazed at the quality for the price. When you get your bike you can go to the ATM and knock your buddy out with the hand full of cash you saved

Cuánto pesa?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck
    When you get your bike you can go to the ATM and knock your buddy out with the hand full of cash you saved

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Alright...so the components quality is on par or better than the Specialized Rockhopper he pointed out. Wow, I shoulda looked at that, that's just a ridiculous price disparity. In his defense, yeah, he probably is slightly out of touch for the past few years, since the last time he would have worked in a bike shop was at least 6 years ago. He's consistently bought from Kona and Specialized over the years, and has probably developed some of the same rabid loyalty I see around here. I'm guessing his thoughts were "hmmm, components are entry-level, but good for the price, so the frame must be heavy and use old technology." He figured I'd be doing a lot of uphill (which I will), and felt a hardtail would handle that better.

He wouldn't intentionally have tried to steer me the wrong way; he's a good guy and wouldn't derive anything out of influencing my decision other than being able to say "Ha, Nate! I win again - told ya so." But I may have the upper hand this time around. Mwa ha ha ha...ha?

More questions, yay! *grumble grumble...*

While I'm not worried at all about the sturdiness of the frame (have yet to find any naysayers about it), I'm still concerned about the pedal bob and weight on lengthy/steep/both uphills. My buddy reminded me when we spent more than an hour in Kailua going uphill on my friend's Kona FSB while he rode my Specialized road bike, and I was dead tired at the top. At the time I was used to my piddly 20 lb cyclocross bike, and boy was that an awakening. Then again, so was attempting the Tricross on anything harsher than a completely smooth, dry, rockless trail.

Do all the Ignition models share the same frame design? Just different components? I read somewhere on the forums that the Atlas suspension is more "linear", vs. "progressive" for the Ignition. In my almost completely uninformed understanding, does that mean that the Atlas is stiffer (firmer grip) but less forgiving compared to the Iggy's more comprehensive soak at the expense of rear stiffness (traction)?

I noticed the rear shock design looks a lot different on the '08 Iggy compared to the '07. The '07 looks like a...single pivot design, if I got that name right? Sorta similar to the Cannondale Rush series. I've read in a handful of places that Ibex doesn't invest in rear shock R&D and copies off of proven, time-tested designs that are slightly behind the technological curve. Is that the case? It doesn't matter to me if that's true, so long as it works well enough for what I need. But I am mildly curious.

mrpercussive, this weekend is a little crazy for me, but I'll be able to work something out after that. I'll send ya an email with my info.

Flying Goat

More questions, yay! *grumble grumble...*

Do all the Ignition models share the same frame design? Just different components? I read somewhere on the forums that the Atlas suspension is more "linear", vs. "progressive" for the Ignition. In my almost completely uninformed understanding, does that mean that the Atlas is stiffer (firmer grip) but less forgiving compared to the Iggy's more comprehensive soak at the expense of rear stiffness (traction)?
    It's the rate at which the leverage on the shock on the frame changes. When it's linear it means that it's linear. When it's progressive, it means that it starts out very supple and sensitive and then stiffens towards the end for bottom out ressistance. The rate can defer in terms of how the leverage changes. More linear and fallin rate suspension designs are usually skip bikes while progressive ones are usually plough bikes. I've been asking for a progressive rate bike from Ibex for about a year now. Was stoked when i saw the 08 Ignition.

I would say they just behave differently. The Atlas being a skip bike would probably be easier to throw around compared to the Ignition which is a plough bike.

I noticed the rear shock design looks a lot different on the '08 Iggy compared to the '07. The '07 looks like a...single pivot design, if I got that name right? Sorta similar to the Cannondale Rush series. I've read in a handful of places that Ibex doesn't invest in rear shock R&D and copies off of proven, time-tested designs that are slightly behind the technological curve. Is that the case? It doesn't matter to me if that's true, so long as it works well enough for what I need. But I am mildly curious.

Both the 07 and 08 Iggys are fourbars. Take a look at the 07 Iggy again. it's nothing like a Crackandfail Rush... XD I would say Ibex sticks with what works and invests R&D to further improve what already works instead of wasting money and then having to sell based on marketing hype... Just look at the FSR... not the best design out there in fact i hated FSR bikes... hahahahaha. But people seem to like em cause they've already put soooo much money into the bike it would hurt to say they didnt... Plus there's all the hype... it's supposed to be the "cool" thing...

mrpercussive, this weekend is a little crazy for me, but I'll be able to work something out after that. I'll send ya an email with my info.
    Just keep me in the loop... We gotta hook up sometime... I'm gonna be riding my Iggy bone stock straight out of the box today. Putting it straight to DH/FR stuff... XD Will write a review when i'm done... and then maybe one more ride before i put my parts which have been dying to be on a frame since November... XD

Flying Goat
    oooohhhh... and i wouldnt worry that much about not climbing on this bike... it climbs like a goat for sure!!! XD

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    After reading this, I'm going to place an order for the Ignition 3. I checked several brands, and for this much of money, you just can't get other bikes with the same quality components.

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by sl_guy
    After reading this, I'm going to place an order for the Ignition 3. I checked several brands, and for this much of money, you just can't get other bikes with the same quality components.
    you are a wise man

mtbr member

Do It

GO FOR IT sl_guy You will love the IBEX ignition
    I ordered the IBEX Asta x9 and I've had it for a week now and I LOVE IT!!
    I really like the yellow iggy 3 and the lime green iggy super. I saw a lime green iggy the other day in person and it was HOT LOOKING!!
    IBEX offers the most unique color choices around