Aspiring Doctor

Idea! IBEX bicycles for females, FS or HT?

Hey everyone, my girl friend has decided that she wants to get into mountain biking with me

She has about a $400 budget for a bike and I have got a few questions. Right off the bat these are the two bikes I am considering for her.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-1-Details.html <---- FS
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-450-Details.html <----- HT

Will these bikes work for her? I am not sure if bicycles are unisex, I remember there being female specific bikes, so will these not work for her? I don't think IBEX offers female specific bikes.

Also she has back pains every now and then ( shes 18 years old ) will it be beneficial to get the full suspension bike so that it's easier on the back? Or will the hard tail do?

Thank you

P.S. I'm going to get the trophy comp so I hope she can keep up
    "The eyes are the windows into the brain" -Timothy Leary

locked - time out

... and if we just ... HARDTAIL...You knew that was coming..LOL..

Quote Originally Posted by Tamim
    Hey everyone, my girl friend has decided that she wants to get into mountain biking with me
    She has about a $400 budget for a bike and I have got a few questions. Right off the bat these are the two bikes I am considering for her.
    Will these bikes work for her? I am not sure if bicycles are unisex, I remember there being female specific bikes, so will these not work for her? I don't think IBEX offers female specific bikes.
    Also she has back pains every now and then ( shes 18 years old ) will it be beneficial to get the full suspension bike so that it's easier on the back? Or will the hard tail do?
    Thank you
    P.S. I'm going to get the trophy comp so I hope she can keep up
    Bikes are unisex, only saddles differ..
    As for the bike, thats up to her..She really should test ride both styles at your LBS..But buy an IBEX..

Jake..

[SIZE="2"]EDIT[/SIZE]: Your gonna like the TROPHY..
    Last edited by Pay Here; 10-05-2006 at 04:50 PM.

long standing member

She has about a $400 budget for a bike and I have got a few questions. Right off the bat these are the two bikes I am considering for her...
    I bought (then returned) the Ignition for my wife last year. It was pretty heavy. Not super fun for the average-sized "athletic-but-new-to-cycling" female to pedal around a 35lb "XC" bike.

I'd go with the hardtail for that reason alone. My wife didn't care for the fit, either, after she compared it to other bikes she got test rides on.

F specific bikes may have slightly altered geometry, are sometimes offered in smaller sizes and sometimes have "scaled-down" components (h-bars, brake levers, different seat). If she's not too short, most bikes will work just fine. Saddle type is very individual anyway.

It's hard to say whether she'll have problems. She's got the best shot at avoiding back pain by having a properly fit bicycle. Unfortunately, Ibex is a mail-order company, so getting "fit" on the bike isn't really possible without buying it, trying it out, then maybe having to send it back if it doesn't "fit right". Been there, done that, didn't get a T-shirt.

That said, if she rides technical trails that require a lot of seated pedaling then a dually might be better.

There are advantages to buying a bike direct...namely cost. Well, not just cost - you actually get a better quality bike than you would at the LBS for the same price.

But, and I hate to be a naysayer on the Ibex forum, there are disadvantages too. They offer a full refund if the bike is returned but your gonna be out the shipping to and from...in my case over $75...plus the time it took me to assemble (and tune) the bike when it arrived and then disasseble, repack and ship it to return. In the end, a big hassle.

One last recommendation: spend as much money as you can afford to spend. The difference in quality of parts on a $500-600 is (IMO) much better than on a ~$300-400 bike. Ibex has good HT options in both of those prices ranges. Good luck.

Patrick
    Last edited by PCinSC; 10-05-2006 at 06:00 PM.

Freshly Fujified

Patrick makes some excellent points

While Ibex makes some very good bikes and they represent an excellent value, your girlfriend's situation probably requires some serious thought. My guess is that a lightweight hardtail is probably the best solution to start with. Given the increased importance of fit as the result of her back pain, you run a higher risk than most in potentially ordering the wrong size. Bottom line is that you need to assess the risk vs reward and decide from there. Unfortunately, the $400 she has to spend is probably going to buy a bike in the 28 lb range. Not too terribly bad, but it's what you should expect.

Have her test ride a few bikes in the $500 range at your LBS. If those bikes fit without having to swap out bars, stems, etc., you'll probably find that the Alpines from Ibex will work, too. Keep in mind that if the bike doesn't fit, ot if she experiences discomfort, she'll lose interest fast. Focus on fit, and let everything else fall into place. A call to Ibex to explain your situation will help you in the decision as to whether you want to purchase.

Best wishes in finding the right ride for her.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery