mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Ibex Atlas Pro vs Ignition frame

Hi there

I've been looking at the Ignition and Atlas Pro frames and just had a few questions some of you may be able to answer.

1. The Ignition or Atlas Pro? I need an all-round bike that can handle some freeriding as well. Seems to me the Atlas is more rugged?

2. The Atlas Pro Frame- What would a 20.5" frame weigh with the shock? I realise the Ibex site lists "Target weight- 7.5lbs with shock" and I'd assume then that this is an approximate for the smallest frame. Recently got a quote on a packaged 20.5" Atlas Pro and its stated as 13lbs. Surely there is not 4-5lbs worth of cardboard packaging involved for a mere frame?

3. The sizing. Anything unusual about this? I'm looking at the 20.5" Atlas Pro because it matches a 19" Banshee Scirocco frame that fits me well. Are Ibex sizes a bit bigger than usual or do these things have towering seat tubes and short top tubes?

Thanks for any help

Flying Goat
    The Atlas geometry would suit FR duties much better imo. And yes, i think it is more rugged as well.

The target weight listed is usually for the medium frame. The frames are well packed with some foam, a manual and etc. Ibex are usually pretty good at their target weights. Wouldnt worry much there. I'm sure Jake will chime in. He weighs everything he has... XD He's got a small Atlas... Might give you an idea...

There is a lot more to sizing then seatpost length. The biggest thing to concern yourself with is the Eff Toptube length. Ibex sizes are pretty standard. I would say, Banshee sizes are a little smaller... XD

Cuánto pesa?

Go with the Atlas....The ride is smooth like a hotties butt

[SIZE="2"]16" Ignition frame with Manitou Radium RL shock and derailleur hanger..(7.05 pounds) [/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]I'm having trouble tracking down the photo documented weight on the 16.5" Atlas..
    When I find it I will post the picture..If memory serves me correctly it was closer to 7 pounds, not 7.5 [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Jake[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]Go with the Atlas....The ride is smooth like a hotties butt[/SIZE]

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    [SIZE="2"]16" Ignition frame with Manitou Radium RL shock and derailleur hanger..(7.05 pounds) [/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]I'm having trouble tracking down the photo documented weight on the 16.5" Atlas..
    When I find it I will post the picture..If memory serves me correctly it was closer to 7 pounds, not 7.5 [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Jake[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]Go with the Atlas....The ride is smooth like a hotties butt[/SIZE]
    you got me staring at that pic again...

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    you got me staring at that pic again...
    What, are you workin' on your hand-eye coordination?

Flying Goat
    What, are you workin' on your hand-eye coordination?
    actually supposed to be working on a speech due at 12:30pm... but dang, she's got me distracted... hahahahaha

Cuánto pesa?
    BTW
    songairen, welcome to the FORUMz

uhhhhhyea
    Not sure what your stats are but I'm 6'3" 210 lbs or so, 34" inseam and ride an 18.5" atlas pro frame. Fits me like a glove, though i do have the stem up a couple inches on the steerer (uncut). Personally I bigger frames for FR / DH purposes simply because I feel "disconnected" with the bike (it's hard to describe... sort of like trying to drive a moving truck in traffic). Admittedly, my torso is longer than it should be, so my legs are the same as the "average" 6'1" person. I believe it to be the result of weird genes and or scientific experiments.

Hardtail Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by songairen
    Hi there

2. The Atlas Pro Frame- What would a 20.5" frame weigh with the shock? I realise the Ibex site lists "Target weight- 7.5lbs with shock" and I'd assume then that this is an approximate for the smallest frame. Recently got a quote on a packaged 20.5" Atlas Pro and its stated as 13lbs. Surely there is not 4-5lbs worth of cardboard packaging involved for a mere frame?
    I think this has to do with the shipping company more than the actual weight of the frame and packaging. They usually set standards that you have to go by based on weight and size of the box. So let's say that your package weighs 10 lbs. For some weird reason (I never understood how they determine what to bump the packages up to) they will charge the shipper for a 13 lb package. A 14 lb package might be charged as a 19 lb package. It's really strange but this may be the reason that you were getting that number.

mtbr member
    The shipping company weight is not actual weight, my wife's Jamis Diablo got delivered a couple weeks ago and the DHL tracking site said 56 lbs!! The bike itself is closer to 43 lbs. There definitely wasn't 13 lbs in cardboard.

BTW Get the Atlas, I'm on a large Banshee Chaparral now (virtually identical geometry to the large Scirocco same HA/TT length) and used to ride a 20.5" Atlas pro which fit well.

Cuánto pesa?
    Ibex Atlas Pro vs Ignition frame?

[SIZE="2"]SOLD OUT>[/SIZE] [SIZE="2"]Ignition frame[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i think that the bike is hotter than the chick

Cuánto pesa?

mtbr member
    Sorry for the hijackin, but Jake are you going to build up that frame?

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoalwater
    Sorry for the hijackin, but Jake are you going to build up that frame?
    Nah.........It's just layin' around in the guest room stayin' cool

Hardtail Warrior
    How could you Jake... people are dying for these frames and you just leave your laying around lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    BTW
    songairen, welcome to the FORUMz
    Cheers xD

And thanks for so many fast responses guys, very helpful

I'm 6'2" with a 35" inseam. Think I'll go for the 20.5" Atlas frame then; hopefully that will work out- I'd prefer to use a shorter stem if it came down to it and my new forks are at the higher range of the frame recommendation

It's pretty excited, I used to race slalom/xc 12 years ago. This will be my first bike purchase since back then. We just used to buy smallish XC hardtails (last one was a 17.5" frame) and put riser bars on them....... a lot has changed since then and being able to choose a more fitting frame these days without compromising on standover height is promising (not to mention lighter and dual sus.).

oops g2g. thanks for the help

Tossin the salad.
    Quote Originally Posted by opivyattack
    How could you Jake... people are dying for these frames and you just leave your laying around lol.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ~ Investment