Thread: Ibex Alpine 350

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Ibex Alpine 350

I would like to get an Ibex 350; however, I have been out of biking for a long time so I don't know if it would be a good idea for me to buy a mail-order bike.
    Would anyone recommend this bike to a newbie who doesn't know anything about bike
    maintenance?
    Can anyone put this bike together safely enough to ride?

Thanks.

Freshly Fujified

Assembly is simple

If you own a set of tools and have done any type of mechanical work, assembly should be a breeze. You get a multi-tool with the bike that has almost everything you need. If memory serves me correctly, you will have to turn the fork around into the right position, tighten the stem and handlebar assembly, and install the pedals. There's probably something i'm missing, but you should have no problem. if you do have quesions, Ibex is just a toll-free call away and will help walk you thought the assembly process.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

locked - time out

cp63, "The only thing to fear is fear itself"

___A DrumRoll Please:___ _____[SIZE="2"]"Welcome to the FORUMs"__ [/SIZE]
    cp63: I would like to get an Ibex 350; however, I have been out of biking for a long time so I don't know if it would be a good idea for me to buy a mail-order bike.
    Would anyone recommend this bike to a newbie who doesn't know anything about bike
    maintenance?
    Can anyone put this bike together safely enough to ride
    ?
    You can do it, so order that BIKE!!!
    Make the call and get SIZED-UP!!!
    Now start doing some reading and you'll be ready for DELIVERY DAY
    !!!
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/articles.html

Jake PAY, [SIZE="2"]IBEX-4-LIFE [/SIZE]Here..
    Last edited by Pay Here; 10-17-2006 at 02:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Ibex Alpine 350

Thanks to you both for your responses. I now feel confident that I have the skills to put the bike together. Actually, I only live about an hours drive from the Ibex warehouse so I can go pick it up there and save $ 35.00 shipping.
    How does the 350 compare to the Giant Rincon? I know the Giant Bike costs $ 41
    more but how about the compenents on it? Do they compare favorably with the 350?
    From what I can tell it looks like they do, but do they? Also, how about the frames?
    Which one of those is best?
    Thanks.....................................CP63

Freshly Fujified

Similar bikes

The frames, while different in styling, are comparable, IMO. Giant has a better rear derailleur, Ibex a better fork. The better fork is costlier than the better derailleur, so overall I say the Ibex is the better buy. $30.00 buys you a derailleur better than the one on the Giant, so dollar for dollar, the Ibex wins hands down.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    If you own a set of tools and have done any type of mechanical work, assembly should be a breeze. You get a multi-tool with the bike that has almost everything you need. If memory serves me correctly, you will have to turn the fork around into the right position, tighten the stem and handlebar assembly, and install the pedals. There's probably something i'm missing, but you should have no problem. if you do have quesions, Ibex is just a toll-free call away and will help walk you thought the assembly process.

Bob
    You forgot the part where you are supposed to throw away the kick stand.

Freshly Fujified

Ooops!

Quote Originally Posted by bcun10t
    You forgot the part where you are supposed to throw away the kick stand.
    Reflectors and toe clips (if applicable) also need to be filed in the circular file!