Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Got my Ignition-1 today and...

...I'm not as happy as I wish I was.
    I put it together, which seemed rather easy. But the first problem (I'm a noob) was that when I put the front tire on, the disk break would keep catching the tire when riding. I'm sure that isn't suppose to be like that. After about 30min of fine tuning, I got it where I could ride and the disk would not catch the break. However, sharp turns it sometimes still catches?! What gives?

Another problem is my gears. I can't go into the upper gears correctly. I'm still not down with the lingo yet, but to explain, the large gear (1-2-3) goes all the way to the upper gear (19) but when I go to 23 and 24, it just rattles and the chain is touching the derailer (correct?). The only way to stop this horrible noise is to hold down on the shifter so that it pushes it outwards a little more so it won't catch. I guess being a noob I just don't know what to do. This bike is hitting the LBS at 10:00 AM to get a tune-up/setup so I can ride it.

Another thing that was really lame was that the paint in the box was spilled in its bag. No damage done, but I also have no paint now. It is just dried up in the bag.

If anyone has any ideas about my little problem, please let me know. I'd love to fix it myself instead of forking over another $40 just to get it setup right cause I'm too stupid to do it myself. I'm suppose to go on my first trail ride on Sunday, so I do need it running.

Otherwise, the few minutes I have spent on it are a blast. The saddle is a little hard, and I just do not like those peddals. i guess that's what I get for going with the low price model.

It is a pretty bike though. It looks pretty good, and like I said, the ride is nice if I don't have to shift. LOL.

Fat guy on a bike
    Couple things, sounds like your brakes need adjusting. I'm not familiar with the tektro, but there should be some pad adjustments, look up the support manual online. There might even be a guide on park tools website. Heres the avid page in case they work similar. http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=124

Your front deraileur needs either the upper limit loosened, or, the cable tension adjusted. Sounds like its a cable tension problem if you are able to move the deraileur farther by pushing on the shifter itself. Go to parktool.com and read up their guide to front derairleur tuning. http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75 Tuning takes practice and some knowledge but totally worth learning.

The pedals are your basic platforms. good to start learning riding on but pedals, like saddles, are up to the riders preferences. Almost no one keeps whats stock for long on any bike. You'll be wanting to go clipless like some of the Crank brothers pedals (Candy's or Eggbeaters)

Call up Ibex support and i bet they would he happy to send you more paint.

Freshly Fujified

Hello Prism

Sorry to see you're having some issues in fine tuning the bike. Your disappointment is certainly understandable. All we want to do when we get the bike is put it together and expect it to be perfectly dialled in once assembled. For the most part, Ibex does an excellent job in assuring that there is minimal need for adjustments once the bike is assembled. Unfortunately, it looks like yours needs a little more fine tuning than most Ibex bikes do.

All is not lost! Mordy's post spells things out pretty clearly. The conditions you describe are somewhat common, and easily fixable. My advice is to call the Ibex tech support hotline and talk to Will. The tech support hotline is listed on the web site. Will can walk you through the cable and derailleur adjustments that will solve your shifting problems, and help to get the brake issue resolved. If you can't fix the issues based on Will's recommendations, I'm certain Ibex will back up their product and make sure the issue is resolved for you.

Let us know how thinsg work out, and be sure to post a follow up review of the bike once it's dialled in.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

shocks, pegs... lucky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde

My advice is to call the Ibex tech support hotline and talk to Will. The tech support hotline is listed on the web site. Will can walk you through the cable and derailleur adjustments that will solve your shifting problems, and help to get the brake issue resolved. If you can't fix the issues based on Will's recommendations, I'm certain Ibex will back up their product and make sure the issue is resolved for you.

Let us know how thinsg work out, and be sure to post a follow up review of the bike once it's dialled in.

Bob
    I definately agree with Bob on this, when I first assembled my IGN, I also had issues with the disk rubbing on the brake pads (front and rear) and upon calling the tech support hotline, Will quickly figured it out, after running through 3 scenerios as to what the problem may have been. Give it a try and i hope all things work out.
    The kids love spinning their wheels... it's the best ;-)

Cuánto pesa?
    IBEX:
    Tech help (support)> Ph: 770-569-0606

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I had pretty much the exact same problems as you describe when I got my Ignition 2. I ended up getting rid of the Alivio front derailleur, although I was able to get it to work acceptably with some adjustments. The Tektro discs could be warped but as everyone else said, call their support to see. Their adjustability isn't all that great, but they work well enough.

My first few rides were disappointing as well because of the same things you describe, plus my crankarm came off and later my bottom bracket came off most of the way while riding on a roof rack. It is definitely a different experience than an LBS purchase, especially for beginners, but I have learned a lot about my bike through it and it has got me out riding. I'm happy with it now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Grrr...been calling most of the day. No answer.
    Took it to the LBS but they couldnt get to it for a few days, so I took it back home.

Update:

Will took care of me. I now know some parts of the bike better. Got it mostly adjusted. At least I can go into high gear smoother. Still got the chain rubbing on the deraleur when in highest 2 gears. Also, the cap came off the shifter cable. It is slowly untangeling now into hundreds of little threads. I guess I will have my local LBS restring it next week for me and maybe they will fix that issue with the gears once and for all. The disk problem is fixed and was just me not connecting it right.
    Last edited by Prism; 04-13-2007 at 01:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism
    Took it to the LBS but they couldnt get to it for a few days, so I took it back home.

Update:

Will took care of me. I now know some parts of the bike better. Got it mostly adjusted. At least I can go into high gear smoother. Still got the chain rubbing on the deraleur when in highest 2 gears. Also, the cap came off the shifter cable. It is slowly untangeling now into hundreds of little threads. I guess I will have my local LBS restring it next week for me and maybe they will fix that issue with the gears once and for all. The disk problem is fixed and was just me not connecting it right.
    rewind the cable( look at the direction it is winding) and put a piece of electrical tape o nthe end to keep it in one piece until you get a new ferrule... these things always come off on my bike until I bought the right tool to squeeze the snot out of it.

mtbr member

Update:

Try getting this book, very handy. I think park web site is just as good, but I can have this right in front of me when working on my bike. $25 ...well worth it

http://www.zinncycles.com/books.aspx?book=mountainbike

Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance

by Lennard Zinn

Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance, 4th Edition, is a complete update of the most concise, well-organized, and best-illustrated reference guide to mountain bike maintenance and repair. Whether you wish to adjust the latest hydraulic disc brake or rehabilitate a decades-old mountain bike, you will find everything you need inside, with clear diagrams and succinct, step-by-step instructions to guide you. Thousands of mountain bikers have depended on Lennard Zinn’s sage advice since the first edition in 1996. This new revision makes fixing your bike easier than ever.

Lennard Zinn is famous for his ability to simplify complicated technical information and make it accessible to anyone. The career of many a bike mechanic has been launched in a garage with a Lennard Zinn book close at hand. The fourth edition of the world’s most popular mountain bike repair manual will make a mechanic out of you!

Look inside to find

* Basic, step-by-step instructions for regular maintenance
    * How to choose a bike, including fitting and sizing
    * Adjusting, overhauling, and maintaining front and rear shocks
    * Front and rear suspension “pedal platform” adjustments
    * Shimano’s latest: Dual Control levers, Center Lock rotors, Hollowtech II integrated-spindle cranks
    * More disc brakes and tricks for setting them up
    * Building wheels, both tubeless and disc<
    * Complete bolt tightening specifications
    * Over 360 illustrations

Lennard Zinn is a bicycle frame builder and
    [SIZE=1]<IBEX ASTA EXPERT X9><Motobecane Fly Pro><[/SIZE][SIZE=1]HOOK EM' HORNS[/SIZE][SIZE=1]><Go Cardinals!><Scotty Doesn't Know>[/SIZE]

Portland, OR
    its not recommended to use your "highest" or "lowest gears" it puts a lot of stress on your RD and chain. most every bicycle I assemble will sometimes have this problem. some derailleurs can get rather pissy when tuning them to go to the highest gear, so we tend to leave them a bit. the cables are going to stretch anyway. Avoid going into gears like, on your left shifter 3 and the right being 1 or 2. always try to keep your drivetrain a little equal. like ride at left shifter 2 and right shifter 5 or something like that. you wont have the rubbing, and your derailleur will thank you dearly for it.

I hope this helped a little. on my next bike, I'm planning on taking a lot of pictures, so that people can know how to properly set up their bike. or I might just make a video.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

it's....
    About the frayed cable end, retwist and just get some heat shrink tubing.
    One time purchase will last a life time using 1 inch at a time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey! Thank you for all the info.
    I took the bike out for its (and mine) first trail ride! Wow. It was a blast. I lasted the 2.5mile trail with more power to spare to take on the 1mile real quick before loading the bikes up.
    The bike performed splendid. I will have to change the grips though...they do not feel right even with gloves. I ordered some Oury Large grips that got good reviews and seem to be a little better cushioned. Now to figure out how to take my old grips off...hmmm.

Fat guy on a bike
    Hey! Thank you for all the info.
    I took the bike out for its (and mine) first trail ride! Wow. It was a blast. I lasted the 2.5mile trail with more power to spare to take on the 1mile real quick before loading the bikes up.
    The bike performed splendid. I will have to change the grips though...they do not feel right even with gloves. I ordered some Oury Large grips that got good reviews and seem to be a little better cushioned. Now to figure out how to take my old grips off...hmmm.
    Well theres a couple ways to do it.

1. If you are not going to reuse the grips, cut them off with a utility knife. Just be
    sure not to damage the handlebar.

2. Lift up the side of the grip using a small screwdriver, and squirt some rubbing alcohol or WD-40 between the grip and bar. Twist the grip off.

The rubbing alcohol will dry faster.

Wear gloves when taking them off unless you have really tough and callused hands else you might not be able to ride again for a few days

Flying Goat
    compressed air works wonders... but if you dont have it, dish washing liquid does it too...

Portland, OR
    do this, loosen your brake levers/shifters and move them up a little on the handlebar. then take your findertips and pull from the base of the grip. you can also sometimes just twist them off. what grips are they? WTB weirwolfs? you can also lift it up a little from the bottom and spray a little WD-40 or some other type of lubricant. when getting grips back on, to keep them from moving the ABSOLUTE BEST EVER way to get them to stay is aqua velva hair spray sounds silly, and it is. but its truly the best ever.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Go Bruins!
    That aqua velva hair spray makes one hell of a mini flamethrower as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thank you for the wealth of information. I'm not sure what the stock grips are, but I purchased a set of the Oury Mountain Bike Grips.
    The current ones are thin and the pattern doesn't feel good on the hands.
    I will try the WD40 to take off and pick up this Aqua Velva hairspray today.
    Thank you for the help again! I got a Cateye Enduro 8 coming also!!!
    Been riding it daily now, found some nice off roading in the neighborhood!

mtbr member
    Thank you for the wealth of information. I'm not sure what the stock grips are, but I purchased a set of the Oury Mountain Bike Grips.
    The current ones are thin and the pattern doesn't feel good on the hands.
    I will try the WD40 to take off and pick up this Aqua Velva hairspray today.
    Thank you for the help again! I got a Cateye Enduro 8 coming also!!!
    Been riding it daily now, found some nice off roading in the neighborhood!
    You are gonna have a great time bud! Enjoy the sick new bike, I am looking to pick up an IBEX myself sometime in the summer. I can't wait!
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

Cuánto pesa?
    Prism,
    With OURY's I've yet to have a problem that required the hair spray..After removing the stock grips, clean the bar with rubbing alcohol and let dry..Put the new OURY's on and if they slip then re-install with the hair spray..

Ironchefjon,
    Glad to hear your going IBEX, which model you have in mind?

Jake

I see you lurking..
    Last edited by Jake Pay; 04-17-2007 at 06:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    Prism,
    With OURY's I've yet to have a problem that required the hair spray..After removing the stock grips, clean the bar with rubbing alcohol and let dry..Put the new OURY's on and if they slip then re-install with the hair spray..

Ironchefjon,
    Glad to hear your going IBEX, which model you have in mind?

Jake

I see you lurking..
    The Atlas Expert my good friend.
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Alrighty, a little update.

I put the grips on and the hairspray method did the trick perfect! Thanks!

I have taken the bike out to the Swayback Trail (AL) and had a blast tearing the single track up.
    The first 2 times I went I had no problems at all, but this last time my bike didn't perform as before. The bike now makes the most terrible squeaking noises (seems to come from the spring in the rear suspension) that people can hear me coming from miles away. I was refered to a "rusty bed sound". That sux! Also, there is constant crackling, poping and all other metalic sounds coming from it as I peddal along.
    I will bring it to the LBS this week for its tune-up/check up. Hopefully they can fix it.
    My friends Raleigh (same price range but a hardtail) is super silent, no noises at all coming from it.
    Not too sure about my purchase now.
    Also, I was cheap when I got it, didn't upgrade the rear suspension, but I would like to have the Air suspension now (Rock Shox BAR 2.1 Air Shock) Does anyone know where I can find these? Also what size I require? Thanks again guys!

Flying Goat
    Alrighty, a little update.

I put the grips on and the hairspray method did the trick perfect! Thanks!

I have taken the bike out to the Swayback Trail (AL) and had a blast tearing the single track up.
    The first 2 times I went I had no problems at all, but this last time my bike didn't perform as before. The bike now makes the most terrible squeaking noises (seems to come from the spring in the rear suspension) that people can hear me coming from miles away. I was refered to a "rusty bed sound". That sux! Also, there is constant crackling, poping and all other metalic sounds coming from it as I peddal along.
    I will bring it to the LBS this week for its tune-up/check up. Hopefully they can fix it.
    My friends Raleigh (same price range but a hardtail) is super silent, no noises at all coming from it.
    Not too sure about my purchase now.
    Also, I was cheap when I got it, didn't upgrade the rear suspension, but I would like to have the Air suspension now (Rock Shox BAR 2.1 Air Shock) Does anyone know where I can find these? Also what size I require? Thanks again guys!
    the creaking/popping sound usually comes from something which is loose. Check your pivot bushings, seatpost, seat rails, cranks, bottom bracket, pedal. I doubt it's you're spring making the noise, if it is... then you either dont have the spring tight enough or maybe try and grease the part where it meets the spring holder...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I do think it maybe the part that holds the spring to the frame. It only makes the horrible noise as it moves along with the terrain. Any suggestions on what grease to use? I guess WD40 is out of the question...

Flying Goat
    just use any motorcycle grease... remove the bushings... grease them and put them back in and tighten...

Cuánto pesa?
    A few things we can do ourselves (click>) [SIZE="2"]Basic Cleaning and Maintenance Guide:[/SIZE] by SteveUK

Jake

PS. For us home mechanics (click>) Parktool repair

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast