mtbr member

First ride on the new Asta Comp X7

I got out to the local trail this morning. I rode a small 1 mile track six times instead of one of the six mile trails because I was riding alone and used this ride to setup and tune the suspension.

The front fork is great and really soaks up the bumps. I had already put the recommended amount of air for my weight and only needed a few small adjustments on the rebound.

I still don't think the rear shock is dialed in correctly yet. It feels almost like a hardtail in on some of the really bumpy stuff. It even bounces the rear tire off the ground on a few of the worst bumps (roots, rocks, and a row of 3" diameter logs). I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong either.

I adjusted the sag and rebound per the directions that came with the shock.

Sag:
    I set it up with about 1" of sag because the instructions said 15% - 25% of the total travel. This equated to ~65lbs of air in the rear shock. I'm wondering if I misinterpreted these instructions though. Should I be going off of the 4" total travel on the rear suspension or the actual travel of the shock itself? I'm guessing it is the latter but wanted to check with those who are more knowledgeable. Also, what is the total travel of the shock on the X7? I thought this might be the case so I added air to the rear shock between a couple rides. I took it up to about 75lbs and hit the trail again but I couldn't really tell much difference. It may have been a little smoother but I can't say it for sure and it wasn't much if any...

Rebound
    I did the "curb test" per the instructions. I started with the rebound adjuster fully counter-clockwise and then rode off a curb, turning the adjuster 1/4 turn clockwise until I achieved one bounce before returning to normal sag. I did tinker with this on the trail before adding air and I didn't notice much if any difference.

I'm guessing it is the sag that isn't set right. What do you guys think? Also please feel free to provide your settings (air pressure and rebound setting) if you ride an Asta Comp X7 and you are in the same weight range 185lbs - 190lbs.

I posted some pics of the bike in the parking lot of the trail in sticky thread. Here's the link.
    - Rich

My ride - '07 IBEX Asta Comp X7

I have nothing clever to say...

Cuánto pesa?
    Great PICs thanks for the link-up

Keep fartin' around with the PSI...You'll find that sweet spot

Jake..eh!

Aspiring Doctor
    My front shock worked good right away but it took a few long rides before my rear shock started working better.
    "The eyes are the windows into the brain" -Timothy Leary

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    Great PICs thanks for the link-up

Keep fartin' around with the PSI...You'll find that sweet spot

Jake..eh!
    Thanks man. I thought you would like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamim
    My front shock worked good right away but it took a few long rides before my rear shock started working better.
    Are you saying the shock actually loosened up after you put some miles on it or that it took more tweaking to get it right?

Thanks,
    - Rich

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    RazorX,

Where did you get the bike stand. I'm looking into them now and like the way that one looks. Nice Bike BTW...Lookin' good

Gary

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaf508
    RazorX,

Where did you get the bike stand. I'm looking into them now and like the way that one looks. Nice Bike BTW...Lookin' good

Gary
    The stand is a Spin Doctor Team Workstand that I bought it at the local Performance Bicycles store. It was on sale for $79. It was on sale on there web site the last time I looked but it was $10 more on the web site for some reason. I'm not sure I would recommend it at this point. The first one I purchased broke after using it to set my Asta up and wouldn't hold at the pivot. It kept rotating until the back wheel ended up touching the ground. I took it apart and saw the problem was the plastic channel the pivot rotates on was broken and therefore wouldn't hold. I don't know if this is a design issue or if it was simply a defective part on the first one. I took it back to the store and they swapped it out for a new one. I used it once for about 15 minutes last night and didn't have any problems so we will see how it holds up...

Edit: Added links.
    - Rich

Fat guy on a bike
    The % of sag you want on the rear shock is of the shocks movement itself, not of the overall travel. You want something like 1/2 inch travel, which should be at around 90-100 psi. Generally you want to set it at 1/2 your weight in psi and add or decrement from there in 10psi or so increments.

Now as to what % you really run is up to personal preference. You want enough pressure to utilize as much travel as you can, without keeping you from using all that travel. And from there it depends on how plush you want it to ride over small objects, vs not bottoming out too hard on harder hits.

Rebound is harder to tune, and again its a preference thing.

Thirsty
    I found the recommended settings to be too hard. I am 6'0", about 230 lbs. I am running 140 psi in the rear shock and I forgot how much up front. I have the rebound set pretty low because I like a cushy ride and I don't want the tires to bounce back too quickly. It's been good so far, but I will keep messing with it.

RazorX, one thing I found is that the water bottle that comes from Ibex tends to hit the lockout switch on the rear shock when going over rough stuff. I took the whole thing off after my second ride because it kept switching me in and out of lockout. You might want to watch out for this or find a smaller bottle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    The % of sag you want on the rear shock is of the shocks movement itself, not of the overall travel. You want something like 1/2 inch travel, which should be at around 90-100 psi. Generally you want to set it at 1/2 your weight in psi and add or decrement from there in 10psi or so increments.

Now as to what % you really run is up to personal preference. You want enough pressure to utilize as much travel as you can, without keeping you from using all that travel. And from there it depends on how plush you want it to ride over small objects, vs not bottoming out too hard on harder hits.

Rebound is harder to tune, and again its a preference thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewMaster
    I found the recommended settings to be too hard. I am 6'0", about 230 lbs. I am running 140 psi in the rear shock and I forgot how much up front. I have the rebound set pretty low because I like a cushy ride and I don't want the tires to bounce back too quickly. It's been good so far, but I will keep messing with it.

RazorX, one thing I found is that the water bottle that comes from Ibex tends to hit the lockout switch on the rear shock when going over rough stuff. I took the whole thing off after my second ride because it kept switching me in and out of lockout. You might want to watch out for this or find a smaller bottle.
    Thanks for the information guys. It sounds like I am actually running my air pressure too low and bottoming out on the bigger bumps. That would explain the behavior it was exhibiting. I added some air to it once I started thinking along those lines yesterday but I don't think I added enough. I still have about .75" of travel with 75lbs of air. I'll add air until I get to about .5" of sag.

I actually did have the lockout engage once yesterday but I thought I must have hit it when I took the water bottle out or put it back in. the IBEX bottle is really tall and just barley clears the lockout lever. I have been thinking about getting a Camelback anyway. I thought about going with a shorter water bottle but the this one barely holds enough water for a ~2 hour ride as it is. I just don't like the idea of having the Camelback on my back.

Thanks again,
    - Rich

Thirsty
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorX
    I actually did have the lockout engage once yesterday but I thought I must have hit it when I took the water bottle out or put it back in. the IBEX bottle is really tall and just barley clears the lockout lever. I have been thinking about getting a Camelback anyway. I thought about going with a shorter water bottle but the this one barely holds enough water for a ~2 hour ride as it is. I just don't like the idea of having the Camelback on my back.

Thanks again,
    I ride with a 70 ounce Camelback Scorpion and I bring a small water bottle for extended rides to re-fill the Camelback if needed. I bought the Camelback at Jenson USA when it was on sale for $30. Lots of storage space in it too for cell phone, keys, patch kit, etc. The tube is insulated too, which I like.

I checked my settings yesterday:

Front fork = 150 psi
    Rear shock = 140 psi

I can get away with 130 psi in the rear, but if I do any drops bigger than 2 feet I will be close to bottoming out, so I keep it at 140 psi to be safe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewMaster
    I ride with a 70 ounce Camelback Scorpion and I bring a small water bottle for extended rides to re-fill the Camelback if needed. I bought the Camelback at Jenson USA when it was on sale for $30. Lots of storage space in it too for cell phone, keys, patch kit, etc. The tube is insulated too, which I like.

I checked my settings yesterday:

Front fork = 150 psi
    Rear shock = 140 psi

I can get away with 130 psi in the rear, but if I do any drops bigger than 2 feet I will be close to bottoming out, so I keep it at 140 psi to be safe.
    Thanks for the info. I will need keep messing with the air pressure and rebound on the rear shock until I get it where I like it.

I went out again tonight and had the rear shock setup with 100psi. It was much better but it still seemed to bounce around a bit more than I would like on some of the rougher stuff. I think the air pressure is probably good now but I just need to keep playing with the rebound. I think it is just rebounding too fast.I didn't have much time to mess with it because I was riding with a couple buddies and we were going at it pretty much none stop. I will probably go back out later this week and just focus on getting the rear shock dialed in.

I did take a spill tonight and skinned up both legs up a little. I didn't notice until I got the bike back to the van but I actually got some of my blood on the rear triangle. I guess I am now officially one with the bike...

Had a great time, except for the fall, and I can't wait to get back out.
    - Rich

Thirsty
    Riding all XC singletrack today I have decided to lower my rear shock pressure. Tomorrow I will drop to 130 psi and see how it goes. I am not flying off jumps, so I don't need to worry about bottoming out.

I took a spill today on a soft singletrack turn that just washed out from under me. My first thought was, "sweet!" Then I went for a drink from the Camelback tube and got a mouthful of dust and dirt. You know it was a good ride when you find rocks in your pocket back at home.