mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Atlas Pro Fork Travel

Hello there

Just wondering- has anyone run a fork with up to 160mm travel on their Atlas? If so, how did it go?

In my final musings over an Atlas frame; my Marzocchi fork is adjustable 120-160mm and I've noticed the SC Heckler has the same geometry but will take up to 160mm travel apart from the slight slackening of head angle (probably to about 67.5-68 you think?) do you think the Atlas frame is strong enough to handle that little bit extra? (Assuming one is not concerned about warranty and is not a suicidal rider).

Just seems it would be nice to be able to slacken the head angle sometimes and use that spare travel from time to time.

locked - time out
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by songairen
    Hello there

Just wondering- has anyone run a fork with up to 160mm travel on their Atlas? If so, how did it go?

In my final musings over an Atlas frame; my Marzocchi fork is adjustable 120-160mm and I've noticed the SC Heckler has the same geometry but will take up to 160mm travel apart from the slight slackening of head angle (probably to about 67.5-68 you think?) do you think the Atlas frame is strong enough to handle that little bit extra? (Assuming one is not concerned about warranty and is not a suicidal rider).

Just seems it would be nice to be able to slacken the head angle sometimes and use that spare travel from time to time.
    set more sag and should be fine.... i know that it seems like setting more sag it seems pointless to run a 160mm fork, but you need the travel for the drops I assume? well once airborne the fork is topped out at 16t0mm. Depending on the fork also. Manitou has a longer axle to crown length then marzocchi does.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks for the advice it was really helpful xD

Flying Goat
    a 160mm would rake out the front end too much, and raise the BB height a lil... It will compromise your ability to corner and to throw the bike around... I honestly would not go above 140mm if you indeed want to keep that bike fun...