ride hard take risks

Atlas Did A XC Ride Today

Lots of people are asking Does the Atls climb Ok so Mr. flat pedal masher on the climb, get me a chair lift went out for a XC ride. Two thing to remember i hate climbing & the bike was set up for AM/DH riding. I did the first 1/2 of the climb in the middle ring then had to drop into granny to get to the top. The trail is all switch backs so it's allot of endurance with some short steeps, by the way i got passed by 2 women & they left me in the dust, not that thats a bad thing but they were talking & i was dieing & they never offered to push me the rest of the way up. The rear shock does a great job of keeping the back wheel on the dirt while absorbing roots & rocks while going up. The fork has been Devolved but BoB is not a problem is the 7WT fork fluid making up for the now missing SPV. Once at the top it's some really sweet single track with small berms on the tight corners to rail off, wow the 25' narrow bars feel really good here. This is a high speed section on a multi use trail that also goes in either direction so coming off blind corners you better be ready to react. Now were talking!! sweet high speed DH fire road with rain bars & ruts, im at home here yehaww!! A nice easy trail back then hook a left & back to the dreaded mash UP hill, but i did the whole thing in the middle ring.

Conclusion - the Atlas climbs almost as well as the Asta, imagine that The Asta is quicker through the tight stuff but the Atlas was faster over all for me because you can hit the rough stuff harder. Climbing it's not a Asta but it's not a wimp it climbs extremely well, made my lame arz look like i could kinda climb.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sounds like you had fun! Thanks for the feedback dogonfr. I too am finding that the Atlas climbs very well.

I've only been on a couple of trails so far. Will do some more playing this week, for now I'm off to work.

fuggansonofahowa
    Yeah, thanks dogonfr, excellent report....

It's great you have experience with both bikes...extremely helpful. It was a hard choice for me, as climbing is the majority of my ride time (must earn my downhills ).

I weighed the endurance, downhill/uphill capabilities, maintenance of both bikes and had to go with the Atlas, but after reading your report I'm pretty sure I made the proper decision....now get yer azz in biking shape to validate your climbing posts....jeez, passed by two gossiping women.....

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawseman
    Yeah, thanks dogonfr, excellent report....

It's great you have experience with both bikes...extremely helpful. It was a hard choice for me, as climbing is the majority of my ride time (must earn my downhills ).

I weighed the endurance, downhill/uphill capabilities, maintenance of both bikes and had to go with the Atlas, but after reading your report I'm pretty sure I made the proper decision....now get yer azz in biking shape to validate your climbing posts....jeez, passed by two gossiping women.....
    My wife is gone so i'll let ya know they were pretty hot also , so i thought i can stay with them, danggg i cant climb

A Atlas rider on clipless pedals will have no problem climbing.

A bud that has allot to do with me getting into MTB used to tell me the same thing, you have to earn your DH, he would weelie up hill while im panting & gasping for air. He can still kick my arz but i can get him on the DH on the righ trail, dang it's always hard to impossible to beat the teacher.
    Formotion Products

fuggansonofahowa
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    My wife is gone so i'll let ya know they were pretty hot also , so i thought i can stay with them, danggg i cant climb

A Atlas rider on clipless pedals will have no problem climbing.

A bud that has allot to do with me getting into MTB used to tell me the same thing, you have to earn your DH, he would weelie up hill while im panting & gasping for air. He can still kick my arz but i can get him on the DH on the righ trail, dang it's always hard to impossible to beat the teacher.
    Babes should be good incentive....I enjoy earning my downhills, but would enjoy earning my downhills more by following some mountain sweeties in spandex.

Climbing is cadence and slow-moving balance. This new bike is going to kill me until I "become one" with it (Grass-hoppah ). After many rides, I'll figure out it's tendencies/intricacies and I'll be goatin' her hard. I'll let her do the work on the way back down. As tough and aggravating as climbing may be, I find it extremely rewarding at the end. Going foot-down on a short, technical steep makes me want to hit it again....it's a good gauge in my biking ability and stamina.

Flying Goat
    sorry i missed out on the ride... was still with my date... XD

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    sorry i missed out on the ride... was still with my date... XD
    I'll assume the Hot Tub is working again
    Formotion Products

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    I'll assume the Hot Tub is working again
    yupp... hot tub has been working for the longest time already... hahaha. But no, we werent in the tub...

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawseman
    Babes should be good incentive....I enjoy earning my downhills, but would enjoy earning my downhills more by following some mountain sweeties in spandex.

Climbing is cadence and slow-moving balance. This new bike is going to kill me until I "become one" with it (Grass-hoppah ). After many rides, I'll figure out it's tendencies/intricacies and I'll be goatin' her hard. I'll let her do the work on the way back down. As tough and aggravating as climbing may be, I find it extremely rewarding at the end. Going foot-down on a short, technical steep makes me want to hit it again....it's a good gauge in my biking ability and stamina.
    It's all about the DH!!!
    Formotion Products