Thread: Asta Race

Gravity hurts

Asta Race

I noticed that the Asta Race (aka my dream bike) has been moved off the website. I know it was completely sold out, but are they looking to replace it in the future? I loved the component selection on it! Is Ibex moving away from using Shimano components or will they have one that is decked out with them in the future?

Also what about a build your own bike option so you could select the shifters, derailleures, brake components etc. I don't know if there's a mfg out there that does that. That way you could select your own components, have them professionally installed and best of all get the mfgs discount on price. Just thinking out loud here. Kind of like Dell does with their computers.
    What do you think Jack? Am I hired?

Flying Goat
    no idea... think guys just preferred sram over all for that pricerange...

build your own bike option... it's more fun to go out hunting on ebay, craigslist, classifieds... makes you appreciete your bike a lot more too after all the hardwork you put into it... XD

mtbr member
    yeah good idea, and maybe for like an additional charge you could have different component options to choose from, during the ordering process online, kinda like some online custom computer builders
    on a side note.....
    I want stickers, or at least one big one for my car. They should maybe send one with the bikes. Cheap advertising. Most people would probably stick it on there vehickle

099=ogg so it's Rabiddogg
    Oct 2007
    the sticker idea is a pretty good one it would be good cheap advertisement that many people would get to see in the targeted market from parking your car at trail heads and such.

Gravity hurts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    no idea... think guys just preferred sram over all for that pricerange...

build your own bike option... it's more fun to go out hunting on ebay, craigslist, classifieds... makes you appreciete your bike a lot more too after all the hardwork you put into it... XD
    O come on! I don't want to sit behind my computer (after 8 hours at work) and find out which components work with other ones, then search the internet for 4 months trying to find a good deal, then figure out how to install them. I want to put all of my hard work in on the trail!

I'd just like to be able to customize it - to personalize it. I'm familiar with certain components and would like to incorporate them into my personalized bike. It seems like something a direct, internet based, "we ship it when you order it" company could pull off. That would be a huge advantage over a company that just ships bikes to your LBS and you get what you see. (Sorry just got out of a ridiculous marketing meeting, being a engineer they are hard to swallow sometimes.)

+1 for the sticker idea!

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle88
    O come on! I don't want to sit behind my computer (after 8 hours at work) and find out which components work with other ones, then search the internet for 4 months trying to find a good deal, then figure out how to install them. I want to put all of my hard work in on the trail!

I'd just like to be able to customize it - to personalize it. I'm familiar with certain components and would like to incorporate them into my personalized bike. It seems like something a direct, internet based, "we ship it when you order it" company could pull off. That would be a huge advantage over a company that just ships bikes to your LBS and you get what you see. (Sorry just got out of a ridiculous marketing meeting, being a engineer they are hard to swallow sometimes.)

+1 for the sticker idea!
    i dunno dude... i think thats part of the fun and makes you even more involved with the bike. You'll have more of a bond with your bike and every part on it will have a story to tell. Pick almost anything off my Zone and i'll tell you how it got there... XD

If you know what you're looking for you'd be surprised how fast you'll find parts... hell i almost got a Shiver SC too for my Iggy build but went against the idea after talking to guys like XSL_Will. Really glad i didnt seeing as i'm a Talas 32 RLC now... XD I dont think a company which ships direct could pull it off as they would need to stock a very wide inventory of things and that would just be ridiculous to carry stock that doesnt move especially for the small guys like Ibex.

And yes... Stickers are a plus.. fortunately for me i got stickers made when i made when i painted my Zone...

mtbr member
    I have the ASTA Race and it is a fantastic bike... but then i am a shimano type guy

mtbr member
    I don't think they would be able to sell the bikes for near the prices they do if they let you customize it from the factory. Would be kinda cool though, but I don't think that is really what they are going for. They are after the best bang for the buck.

I don't own an Ibex (YET!) but I would be down for a small sticker of the logo (like the head badge, not the name). I could stick it on the back of my Jeep.

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    i dunno dude... i think thats part of the fun and makes you even more involved with the bike. You'll have more of a bond with your bike and every part on it will have a story to tell. Pick almost anything off my Zone and i'll tell you how it got there... XD

If you know what you're looking for you'd be surprised how fast you'll find parts... hell i almost got a Shiver SC too for my Iggy build but went against the idea after talking to guys like XSL_Will. Really glad i didnt seeing as i'm a Talas 32 RLC now... XD I dont think a company which ships direct could pull it off as they would need to stock a very wide inventory of things and that would just be ridiculous to carry stock that doesnt move especially for the small guys like Ibex.

:

I have to agree with Mr.P here. As long as someone has the time, tools and bike building skills, I think that is the only way to go.

The bike becomes very personalised and when something breaks or is acting funny, you are so familiar with it it is easy to track down/fix the problem.

And yes, it is kinda cool how each part has a sort of story of its own.
    I aquired most of my parts online and had pretty much the whole build before the frame even showed up....which was only a few days shipping time.

I didn't know every single part I wanted, but I asked questions here on the forum and was steered in the right direction by the friendly peeps here in the ibex forum.

I am very stoked with my iggy build, and the quality of the frame is such that I get alot of compliments from friends and peeps at the LBS's.....but best of all, it holds up really nice under my not so feathery weight, and I ride it pretty hard.

Rock on!!!!!!!

Gravity hurts
    I guess I have to agree with you guys... I might even take it a step further and design my own components, run the FEA on them, mine the aluminum, melt it down, cast the parts, machine them, test them, refine the design, recast, remachine then add them to my bike. That would really build a nice story to tell the kids.

Sorry my sarcasm knows not what it says. Just joking by the way.
    I guess I'm just lazy.

Flying Goat
    I guess I have to agree with you guys... I might even take it a step further and design my own components, run the FEA on them, mine the aluminum, melt it down, cast the parts, machine them, test them, refine the design, recast, remachine then add them to my bike. That would really build a nice story to tell the kids.

Sorry my sarcasm knows not what it says. Just joking by the way.
    I guess I'm just lazy.
    pay me and i'll plan a build for ya. I'm pretty good at building bikes for a very good price... just look at my Zone and Iggy...

Gravity hurts
    Those are sweet! Will you work for Bud Lights? It looks like the Iggy was 2 cases?

I ride with too many guys that "think" they know what they are doing and that would just get me in trouble.. mainly because I am one of them.

Cuánto pesa?
    The only thing from IBEX is the frame
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dirt Deviant
    I think Jake has some super sexy Ibex Bikes too.........yummy!!!!!!!!!!!

my body breaks the falls
    I noticed that the Asta Race (aka my dream bike) has been moved off the website.
    Oddly I ran into a couple this weekend and the young lady was on a new Asta Race. I was kind of surprised to see another one. We exchanged pleasantries and then went back to abusing ourselves on a brutal trail where the terrain map didn't adequately depict the elevation changes

Flying Goat
    Those are sweet! Will you work for Bud Lights? It looks like the Iggy was 2 cases?

I ride with too many guys that "think" they know what they are doing and that would just get me in trouble.. mainly because I am one of them.
    uuuummmmmm.... will let mum decide that... XD