Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Asta Race 07 Bad Rear Shock already NO GOOD

Has anyone had problems with the rear shock on the Asta Race 07 model. Its a Manitou Radium RL Air Shock*
    w/ Click-It Remote Lockout
    I woke up last week and went to jump on my bike and head to work and the shock was out of air, so I pumped it up to 110psi with me pump and off I went. Did not think any thing of it until the next day had the same problem, now its gotten so bad that about every 5 hours the air is gone even when I dont ride it after putting air in it. Seems pretty lame for a bike that is only 90 days old. And has only been used for transportation to and from work. Only a 5 min ride on a hard ball road, here on post at LSA Anaconda, Iraq. So no hills being hucked here. ha what hills? What say ye? Any suggestions for a upgrade shock that would fit this frame, 18" by the way. I was looking at the Fox line, anyone got 2cents on that company?

mtbr member
    Smells like a warranty issue to me.

Fox makes good shocks, but I would be working with the Manitou because it would be $$$ for a new shock.

ride hard take risks
    Check the Shrader valve, loosen it a tad then re-seat. Is there any excess seeping of oil on the shock shaft?
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Check the Shrader valve, loosen it a tad then re-seat. Is there any excess seeping of oil on the shock shaft?
    Chances are that this is the issue. The first time I removed my shock pump it loosened the valve body just enough to allow a slow leak. A little blue locktite has kept mine nicely attached and leak free since. It's now 5+ months with hundeds of miles on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I would contact Manitou on the issue. I'm waiting on a warranty repair from Manitou for my Split RP off my Atlas Expert 07. It developed a leak around the rear main seal. It was losing about 50 psi an hour just sitting. Manitou had me go through the LBS for an RMA for repair. Maybe they will work with you directly on this, considering your location. Good luck.

Edit: Something you can try to see where the leak is......Fill the shock up to your normal riding psi and than get a spray bottle with some soapy water and spray the entire shock, especially around the schrader valve and the rear seal. If it's a steady leak it'll show in the form of bubbles.

mtbr member
    Good call on the bubble check, I will get some lock tight as give that a go, there should be some down at the flight line I can get off some of the Maint. folks. I hope this is the case since I really cant afford to take the shock off and send it in for repair, as I would be with out wheels, and having wheels here is like roll'en with spinners everyone else is two rungs down on the evolution chain

mtbr member

No oil leak

No there is no excess seeping of oil so I'm hoping that is is a loose valve. Ibex got back with me today and said sorry call Manatou, which sort of irks me considering I know for a fact at least 8 people here on post bought bikes after seeing mine, and getting good reviews from me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [eXt]Sieg
    No there is no excess seeping of oil so I'm hoping that is is a loose valve. Ibex got back with me today and said sorry call Manatou, which sort of irks me considering I know for a fact at least 8 people here on post bought bikes after seeing mine, and getting good reviews from me.
    Its not the bike that is the problem though its the shock design... I had the same problem. The shaft that the pump screws onto became loose immediately after unscrewing the pump when I first got the bike, then I put red loctite on the shaft, screwed it back in WITh the pump, let it sit a few minutes and unscrewed the pump and never had a problem since.

DOH!

Leaker

Ahhhhh!!!!
    what don't kill ya, make ya more strong.

DOH!

you need some loctite?

[ext]Sieg you need some loctite? I'll send you some. Whatever flavor (color) you prefer.
    what don't kill ya, make ya more strong.

Go Bruins!

definately the shrader valve on the shock....

I had this problem with the shock once as well after removing the shock pump. The shrader valve came a little loose and halfway through my ride the shock was out of air. I can almost guarantee it is the same issue your having. I have beaten the crap out of the this shock for two years. I had that one problem one time. In fact, I haven't touched the rear shock all summer because it has been so reliable. Also, just had a full tuneup on my Asta after two years of hard riding. All bearings at all major points such as the headset, hubs, and the bottom bracket are still in very good shape according to my lbs whom I trust wholeheartedly. The Asta is just a well built bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ooctrl
    I had this problem with the shock once as well after removing the shock pump. The shrader valve came a little loose and halfway through my ride the shock was out of air. I can almost guarantee it is the same issue your having. I have beaten the crap out of the this shock for two years. I had that one problem one time. In fact, I haven't touched the rear shock all summer because it has been so reliable. Also, just had a full tuneup on my Asta after two years of hard riding. All bearings at all major points such as the headset, hubs, and the bottom bracket are still in very good shape according to my lbs whom I trust wholeheartedly. The Asta is just a well built bike.
    Been pounding on mine now for only a couple months but lovin it tremendously and by far the best Xc squishy I've parked my butt on.
    Definetely a fantastic bike and f I could afford another, I would buy one for a spare.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by [eXt]Sieg
    Sounds like many have the know for the fix.

Ibex isnt trying to blow you off by suggesting you contact Manitou. The bike industry has a different method of controlling warranty situations. The manufactures of the components are responsible for their own warranty's, this is the way they have agreed to do things with the bike companies. If you bought a Trek or Yeti this is all the same. I believe Avid is one of the only manufactures that is different & requires the consumer go through a LBS for possible warranty consideration.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Sounds like many have the know for the fix.

Ibex isnt trying to blow you off by suggesting you contact Manitou. The bike industry has a different method of controlling warranty situations. The manufactures of the components are responsible for their own warranty's, this is the way they have agreed to do things with the bike companies. If you bought a Trek or Yeti this is all the same. I believe Avid is one of the only manufactures that is different & requires the consumer go through a LBS for possible warranty consideration.
    I have used Manitous waranty, and they dont hum and haw about anything, send it in, you get it fixed or replaced, no questions asked.
    Now that Hayes has bought them out, things might be different.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1
    I have used Manitous waranty, and they dont hum and haw about anything, send it in, you get it fixed or replaced, no questions asked.
    Now that Hayes has bought them out, things might be different.
    I actually had great success with them when mrperc snapped his rebound damper, it was here in 1 week N/C & they knew it was mechanic error not the product.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    I actually had great success with them when mrperc snapped his rebound damper, it was here in 1 week N/C & they knew it was mechanic error not the product.
    I just changed the spring to a firm one in my sherman... I went OTB one too many times sunday on the north shore into a rock pile. What a pain in the butt re-installing that spring without removing lowers.
    I was going to devolve it also but decided to keep as is for now..

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1
    I just changed the spring to a firm one in my Sherman... I went OTB one too many times sunday on the north shore into a rock pile. What a pain in the butt re-installing that spring without removing lowers.
    I was going to devolve it also but decided to keep as is for now..
    Devolve it bro the stutter bumps are smooth & the flow is much smoother over everything. You will notice a difference. I rode my Sherman for 3 years & it suxed but I was lazy, as soon as I Devolved it dank it woke up, it's alive!! The Minute was the same thing even though I did the operation after a month or something. Im 185lbs & went to 5WT Maxxis fork fluid instead of the 7WT they recommend, I like a active suspension.
    Formotion Products

Flying Goat
    Manitou and Hayes have both been awesome with CS and they will replace or fix your broken parts no questions asked usually... They are way up there in my book of companies to deal with...

mtbr member
    This is sort of on the subject. I had a problem with the rear shock on my Asta Comp. The Rock Shox Ario 2.2 just stop holding air after about 5 months of riding. I went through my LBS for warranty service and I received a new Ario from Rock Shox. The last time I went riding, maybe two weeks ago, a lot of fluid leaked on the shaft and a little bit on the frame. Is this shock shot too?

Freshly Fujified

Not enough info

Quote Originally Posted by pnightshade
    This is sort of on the subject. I had a problem with the rear shock on my Asta Comp. The Rock Shox Ario 2.2 just stop holding air after about 5 months of riding. I went through my LBS for warranty service and I received a new Ario from Rock Shox. The last time I went riding, maybe two weeks ago, a lot of fluid leaked on the shaft and a little bit on the frame. Is this shock shot too?
    No way to tell based on this info. Could be just a bad seal. Does that make the shock shot? Dunno, it could be cheaper to replace the whole thing as opposed to labor cost for the (potential) seal replacement.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Same problem here

I was going to log back in today and ask for advice for the same problem. I got an Asta Race back in July, and proceeded to break my collar bone at the end of August . But during that time I noticed my rear shock would lose air in only a day or so as well. I took the valve stem out of the shock and checked it, but I never thought about the tube the stem sits INSIDE coming loose . I will check that tonight when I get home from work. I hope that's the fix, so my Asta will be ready to ride when I am .

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Thanks guys!

Well I'm happy to report that after carefully removing the stem, loctiting it and then carefully tightening it back up, it has been 2 days and it's still holding the 70 psi I put into it. The Asta is raring to go, now it's just up to the shoulder....

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by apag7
    Well I'm happy to report that after carefully removing the stem, loctiting it and then carefully tightening it back up, it has been 2 days and it's still holding the 70 psi I put into it. The Asta is raring to go, now it's just up to the shoulder....
    It's always a good thing when the fix is easy and even better when we do it ourselves

EDIT: (paste f-up)
    Last edited by Jake Pay; 11-29-2007 at 09:40 PM.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by apag7
    I must have missed the shoulder whatz up??
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well got the Asta in July, then in late August was riding the next town over with my nephew, and somehow misjudged my clearance past a metal pole . Next thing I know I'm lying there wondering what the hell just happened. After a trip to the doc, turns out it was this:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast