E12
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Asta Expert X9...should I pull the trigger?

Looking for my first full-suspension and I just stumbled onto the Ibex website. I had my eye set on a Specialized FSR xc, but the Ibex seems to be so much more bike for the same price.

Logistically, the Asta Expert X9 works perfectly for me - I'm U.S. military overseas and don't have access to a LBS to buy a Specialized. I could get one here in Japan, but they're every bit of 35-40% more expensive. I've been reading about Ibex all night long, and I don't think I've found an unhappy Ibex owner anywhere on the world wide internet. Just the fact that Ibex's customer service seems to be of the highest quality almost sells me right there.

That, and they're military-friendly (flat rate shipping cost to ANY APO address) You don't often find that with a company shipping items that big.

I'm coming off of a relatively entry-level HT (Spec HRXC) and I am looking for a do-it-all bike. I guess I would consider my primary riding to be XC, a lot of singletrack, some really great hiking/fire road trails up into the mountains, and a number of pretty technical ones too.

I basically need a great do-it-all that I won't feel the need to upgrade anytime soon. This looks to be the bike for me. Anyway, I'm 5'8 165 lbs. and am considering the 16" frame. Does this sound right?

So that's it - should I warm up the credit card now and butter up the old lady? Is this my dream ride? What about the Comp X7? Is the Expert X9 worth an extra 3 bills?
    Last edited by E12; 01-30-2008 at 04:08 AM.

ride hard take risks
    Welcome to the Ibex family.

For 3 hun you get allot the Hayes Strokers them self are worth the extra cash. your getting top end components on a sweet XC/AM bike that just loves to be ridden & ridden hard. The CS at Ibex is excellent plus you can always ask questions right here & someone should have an answer or help assist.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Cuánto pesa?
    The 16" frame would fit you well and the Expert X9 is truly loaded for bear..

The RS Reba SL is a smooth operator and along with the Monarch with Platform/Lockout you should have no problem finding the perfect setting for the terrain and your weight..
    The SRAM X9? Your gonna fall in LOVE..

Type at ya later, I need more coffee..

Jake..

Flying Goat
    The Asta sounds just like the bike for you... I was gonna say exactly what Jake just did... XD

Japan huh??? Man, some sweet trails out there... Flowy downhill dodging some bamboo trees... i remember somebody in the dh/fr section posted on his local trails in Japan... pretty sick stuff... XD

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I gotta add my personal favorite

Go with the Asta Pro. For $200 more than the X9 you get a bike that's approximately 2lbs lighter. There's nowhere in the world you'll get that weight savings for that little cost!
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

siv
    mtbr member
    At 5' 8" shouldnt he consider an 18" instead? I dont have an Ibex so someone who owns one should chime in.

099=ogg so it's Rabiddogg
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by E12
    I'm 5'8 165 lbs. and am considering the 16" frame. Does this sound right?
    if you do the whole book in crotch method to find your inseam it'll give you a good/better idea, then ask ibex. as far as dropping the extra money...if you already know you like the sport and you got the money go for it

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by siv
    At 5' 8" shouldnt he consider an 18" instead? I dont have an Ibex so someone who owns one should chime in.
    16" if you're doing more AM/FR stuff... 18" if you want more climbing...

Go Bruins!
    My 2 cents, I am 5'8" and own a 16" Asta. I have a 30" inseam. The bike is perfect for me. I can climb like a goat and descend like a hawk. You will love this bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by baraant
    Go with the Asta Pro. For $200 more than the X9 you get a bike that's approximately 2lbs lighter. There's nowhere in the world you'll get that weight savings for that little cost!
    I agree, especially since the presale price is over for the SRAM bikes and not for the shimano counterparts.

Cuánto pesa?
    So that's it - should I warm up the credit card now and butter up the old lady? Is this my dream ride? What about the Comp X7? Is the Expert X9 worth an extra 3 bills?
    Yes it is worth the extra 300..

E12
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Trigger pulled on a blue Asta Expert X9 today. Now the waiting begins....and for me, it could be a couple of weeks (military overseas). Absolutely can't wait!

Question for you guys:

I have a Race Face XC low rise carbon bar and a 70mm Race Face XC stem that I was going to put on my Specialized. Would this be a good upgrade for the Asta? The only issue, is that the Race Face stuff is 25.4.....and I know the Asta comes with an OS stem and bars. Should I put the Race Face on my Spec, or would this be a good upgrade on the Asta? What's the quality of the stock bar and stem?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Congratulations you'll love the Asta what did you get the 16". As someone mentioned earlier the size does matter, I'm 5' 7" with a 32.5" bike measured inseam and the 16" is sweet. The components on the Asta are all top notch stuff, I don't think they use OEM components that many bike manufacturers get deals on. You should be fine with the stock bar and stem and I would bet that since you're on the taller size for the 16" Asta if anything you would need a longer stem than the 100mm it comes with. The most important thing you are going to need with the bike is a good shock pump.
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

Cuánto pesa?
    E12,

You have picked a WINNER and I'll be looking forward to your pictures and ride report
    in the near future

Flying Goat
    Trigger pulled on a blue Asta Expert X9 today. Now the waiting begins....and for me, it could be a couple of weeks (military overseas). Absolutely can't wait!

Question for you guys:

I have a Race Face XC low rise carbon bar and a 70mm Race Face XC stem that I was going to put on my Specialized. Would this be a good upgrade for the Asta? The only issue, is that the Race Face stuff is 25.4.....and I know the Asta comes with an OS stem and bars. Should I put the Race Face on my Spec, or would this be a good upgrade on the Asta? What's the quality of the stock bar and stem?

Thanks!
    very nice dude... make sure you post pics... XD

i like the AM length stems. 70mm sounds pretty good if you're gonna be dodging trees. Not sure how the FSAs are as i've no experience with them... but i'm pretty sure they'll hold up. I would think that the stem and bars would change the handling of the bike to personal preferences more than anything... With the 70mm stem, i would suggest Protapers... Very nice bars. Strong, light, stiff and not very expensive. Also, it's bling!!!

http://www.manitoumtb.com/items.asp?deptid=2&itemid=33

ride hard take risks
    You'll be fine with the RF CF bar & stem combo, sweet Blinggg.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot