mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Asta Comp or Asta Expert

I can not make up my mind between these two bikes

I was hoping somebody here could shed some light on the matter.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1
    I can not make up my mind between these two bikes

I was hoping somebody here could shed some light on the matter.
    The more you spend the better the components biggest choice now is Shimano or Sram drive line. For me it's all Shimano.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    The more you spend the better the components biggest choice now is Shimano or Sram drive line. For me it's all Shimano.
    well, the more you spend the better components and the better the deal.

im also one for shimano. i like the multi release triggers on the shifters. otherwise you cant really tell a difference between the two systems. yes yes x may be better than y but in the end they both make very good components. to be fair i like sram's road shifting style better over shimanos road system.

think of it this way. in the long run it will be better to spend a little more. you'll eventually get UGI and blow loads of money anyways. spend a little more now and save a bunch later.

the X9 components will be lighter than the SLX components if that makes a difference. it will also shift smoother than SLX.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I gotta go with the Expert. What's not to love about the SRAM X9 components? Better shifting, lightter weight, and less cost. Seems like a no brainer.

YMMV

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i forgot to say... welcome to the forums

Cuánto pesa?
    Fred, if ya got the extra coin go with the Expert

BTW, welcome to the FORUMz

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Cool thanks for the welcome.

I am not all that concerned about weight.
    When I loose a little around the mid section. I
    might start to worry about some weight on my bike.

I gess one could say SLX components do not suck and the X9 is a little better.
    Getting pretty close to the old Chevy vs ford debate.

My question would be, is it worth the extra 300 for the
    suspension. Keep in mind you should not find me drunk.
    Jumping off my second story of my house on late night spike tv on some extreme video show with my bike.
    Leave 300 in the bank to buy gas for my car to get out to the trail.

I would presume that the brakes or the same. Being the Expert has new next to it and the comp does not.
    Even though they both have the same description (Avid Elixir R Hydraulic Disc Brakes).
    Everything that I have read say theses or pretty good
    brakes.

Thank you for your help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1
    Cool thanks for the welcome.

I am not all that concerned about weight.
    When I loose a little around the mid section. I
    might start to worry about some weight on my bike.

I gess one could say SLX components do not suck and the X9 is a little better.
    Getting pretty close to the old Chevy vs ford debate.

My question would be, is it worth the extra 300 for the
    suspension. Keep in mind you should not find me drunk.
    Jumping off my second story of my house on late night spike tv on some extreme video show with my bike.
    Leave 300 in the bank to buy gas for my car to get out to the trail.

I would presume that the brakes or the same. Being the Expert has new next to it and the comp does not.
    Even though they both have the same description (Avid Elixir R Hydraulic Disc Brakes).
    Everything that I have read say theses or pretty good
    brakes.

Thank you for your help.
    the x9 does have a pretty good upgrade in suspension vs the slx.

as i said before, the more you put down now the better the deal.

but that extra 300 should go to stuff like hydration, and helmet if you dont have that covered already.

Cuánto pesa?
    Attached Images Attached Images

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    i have used the shimano lx and x9 now. and i can say sram has better derailleurs but shimano has 2way release shifters which is just plain awesome! the slx is supposed to be tough as hell too.
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey fellas, why do the Asta's have such a large head set at the stem. It appears as if they have spacers installed under the stem. Is there a logical reason for doing this?

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    there is a very logical reason. if they set it as low as it goes then it can never go back up.
    you set the height of the spacer stack to tune your body position. for example:
    if you remove them all you will be lower, more aggressive and more over the entire bike.
    when you have several stack shims rising the stem you are more relaxed, comfortable and upright.
    hope that help you out rocket
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the response. So you can remove spacers as needed to adjust the height of the bars using the same head set. Makes since. I am new to mountain biking and never seen a head set quite that tall before. So the head tube height of all the sized frame is the same? Just Curious. Thanks

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    i'm unsure on the head tube height of the asta or other models but look at space between the fork crown and stem on a DH bike compared the an XC bike. you will notice a big difference.

head tube spacers are the fine tuning of your position, if you look at stems they all have different angles and lengths, bars have different widths and rises, and seat posts have different "set back" all of these are changeable to put you where you want to be.
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessfools
    i'm unsure on the head tube height of the asta or other models but look at space between the fork crown and stem on a DH bike compared the an XC bike. you will notice a big difference.

head tube spacers are the fine tuning of your position, if you look at stems they all have different angles and lengths, bars have different widths and rises, and seat posts have different "set back" all of these are changeable to put you where you want to be.
    flf got it right. the spacers are there for the steer tube of the fork. you can use less spacers and cut the steer tube. but once you cut it you cant go back. the headset is what holds the steer tube to the head tube of the frame. so those spacers is not the headset it is just the steer tube of the bike. lots of other bikes do this

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Buy the Pro

If money's not an issue I'd suggest buying all the bike you can right off the bat. You'll never be able to upgrade the components for a cheaper price down the road.
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

mtbr member
    Unless I am mixing up my RS models... The Recon SL (unlike many of the other Recon models) uses the same dampening system as the Dart. No motion control/Black box or any of that cool stuff.
    So the extra money on the Reba may be worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i also have been eying these two beauties. seems like both have good components, the x9 may have a slight edge but im not concerned too much bc i currently use an LX set with an XT rear d and it works great. also the brakes and tires are the same on these models. so we have 200$ suspension upgrade, it seems worth it to me. has anyone had experience with the ario 2.2 shock? can it withstand some techy trail riding when i gets that urge?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    also, does anyone else find that paint scheme ugly? with the silver in the back and color in front, why not have the same color throughout. but i havent seen one in person. if i ever go with the asta a paint job might be in the works.

mtbr member
    Ha! Don't get me started! At least you get to choose between blue and grey. Both are a vast improvement over the green!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyes
    Ha! Don't get me started! At least you get to choose between blue and grey. Both are a vast improvement over the green!
    i ride green

whats wrong with the green blue?

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    i have used the Ario on my iggy on what the locals call downhill it works just fine, never had a problem with it for about over 1000 miles.
    RAH!