crash test dummy
    Aug 2004

Apogee Sport, LX, XT owners...

Have you made any changes to the factory cable routing? There are a couple of areas I plan to change today, and I was wondering if anyone else had done this and had some success.

1. Change front derailleur routing from through the rear rocker arm to UNDER the rear rocker arm, and zip-tie to the downtube.

2. Change front hydraulic brake line routing from inside the fork arch to the outside, and zip-tie to the fork arch.

This should solve a number of issues - cable tension on the rocker arm affecting travel, cable housing on rocker arm causing squeaks from the rubbing, and interference from the front hydraulic cable with the front tire tread, enabling me to run wider tires than 2.1".

I must say I am scratching my head as to why Ibex chose to stick with top tube cable routing when they have an interrrupted seat tube to contend with. What is so bad about cable routing on the down tube? Specialized FSR bikes do that, as do the Giant VT series. I've run cables on my HT downtube for years in horrible conditions without any problems whatsoever.

crash test dummy
    Aug 2004

Update

I finally got around to making the changes I mentioned below. It took about 20 minutes, mainly because I have a workstand and because I've built up a couple bikes in the meantime so I've had a little practice.

First, I rerouted the front derailleur cable. You can see from this pic that the old routing was rubbing the axle of the rocker-arm in the rear suspension as well as the shock air can. The cable was very taught around the axle, and although it did not inhibit forward movement, it did slow rearward movement of the suspension, which buggered up my rebound settings.

I rerouted under the rocker arm axle, and also on the OUTSIDE of the disc brake hose. This freed the rocker arm and also put a little inward pressure on the brake hose so it wouldn't stick out from the frame. The old cable routing is the red line as shown, although it went on the inside of the rocker arm.

This also made it WAY easier to fill the IFP valve on the front of the shock. With the rocker arm no longer tied up by the derailleur cable, the rear triangle could move through its full range of motion, so I can pull the shock totally clear of the frame.

The last thing I did was unbolt the front brake caliper and reroute the hose in front of the fork arch, instead of behind it. With the hose behind the arch it routed along the inside of the fork, which meant I could not run a tire much larger than 2.2 or run the risk of rubbing the cable.

This is MUCH better, and I'll be able to mount a 2.3" Werewolf safely:

I'm not really sure why Ibex's frame assembler chose to route the cables this way. Maybe it has something to do with speed of assembly? Whatever the case, these issues had an impact on the performance of the bike, and I hope they change this going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by simian23
    Have you made any changes to the factory cable routing? There are a couple of areas I plan to change today, and I was wondering if anyone else had done this and had some success.

1. Change front derailleur routing from through the rear rocker arm to UNDER the rear rocker arm, and zip-tie to the downtube.

2. Change front hydraulic brake line routing from inside the fork arch to the outside, and zip-tie to the fork arch.

This should solve a number of issues - cable tension on the rocker arm affecting travel, cable housing on rocker arm causing squeaks from the rubbing, and interference from the front hydraulic cable with the front tire tread, enabling me to run wider tires than 2.1".

I must say I am scratching my head as to why Ibex chose to stick with top tube cable routing when they have an interrrupted seat tube to contend with. What is so bad about cable routing on the down tube? Specialized FSR bikes do that, as do the Giant VT series. I've run cables on my HT downtube for years in horrible conditions without any problems whatsoever.