mtbr member
    Mar 2006

apogee LX pivots and flex

to my semi trained eye, the apogee linkage resembles Special-ed's FSR linkage. i've never found a Special-ed FSR that didn't ghost shift when i climb out of the saddle (please don't tell me it's cabling. i spent tons of time and money trying to remedy this). is the Ibex frame stiffer? Are the pivots bushings or bearings (all of them)? I was just about to go single pivot when i decided to see what the Ibex fuss was all about.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by endoh
    to my semi trained eye, the apogee linkage resembles Special-ed's FSR linkage. i've never found a Special-ed FSR that didn't ghost shift when i climb out of the saddle (please don't tell me it's cabling. i spent tons of time and money trying to remedy this). is the Ibex frame stiffer? Are the pivots bushings or bearings (all of them)? I was just about to go single pivot when i decided to see what the Ibex fuss was all about.
    The Apogee is made of 6061 triple-butted aluminum & oval chainstays. Which is stiffer?? dont know, my guess is they are close i might sway twords the 6061 side for strength over Specialized home brew. Cartridge bearings on any bike are going to have some flex. Specialized uses the Horst Link that they have the pattent on & Ibex uses what is considered a Faux Link, the debate as to which is better will never end. I ride a Faux Link & have never had problems with ghost shifting under load, my Horst Link was very good at ghost shifting.

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    The Apogee is made of 6061 triple-butted aluminum & oval chainstays. Which is stiffer?? dont know, my guess is they are close i might sway twords the 6061 side for strength over Specialized home brew. Cartridge bearings on any bike are going to have some flex. Specialized uses the Horst Link that they have the pattent on & Ibex uses what is considered a Faux Link, the debate as to which is better will never end. I ride a Faux Link & have never had problems with ghost shifting under load, my Horst Link was very good at ghost shifting.
    My HL (Tracer) only ghost shifts when the cable or housing needs replacing or adjustment. A full suspension bike needs adequate housing and cable slack to compensate for the movement of the suspension. Sounds like setup problems or bad cable or housing. Horst link bikes don't suffer from ghost shifting anymore than single pivots, faux bars, or a HT.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    My HL (Tracer) Horst link bikes don't suffer from ghost shifting anymore than single pivots, faux bars, or a HT.
    That is very true.