mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Any one buy a new Asta Pro

Just curious if anyone has bought a new Ibex Asta Pro? I'm not in the market for one, just curious to see if anyone has any experience with the new bikes. I know there use to be a lot of threads regarding the old Ibex and now under new ownership there isn't anything about their new bikes.

From a price standpoint they seemed reasonably priced.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nando87 View Post
    Just curious if anyone has bought a new Ibex Asta Pro? I'm not in the market for one, just curious to see if anyone has any experience with the new bikes. I know there use to be a lot of threads regarding the old Ibex and now under new ownership there isn't anything about their new bikes.

From a price standpoint they seemed reasonably priced.
    The bikes are reasonably priced. I am currently reviewing a Maroc 29'er from Ibex. It is a great ride and for the price, I don't think it can be beat. I, like you have wondered why this forum died when Jack got caught up in his shenanigans, The new owner is a good guy from what I can tell. I have had a lot of interaction with him and I think he is just trying to sell bikes, ride and get new customers for Ibex. The old Ibex crowd seems to have abandoned the brand even though Jack is no longer at the helm. Whats up with that?
    Currently reviewing an Ibex Maroc 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    could have to do with the new owners attention or lack thereof to his web page. I was considering a Ibex Asta and spoke via email with owner for a few days. I did go witha Jamis from Jenson. Great price for bike. Back on topic: I originally looked at the all mountain to see bikes only a picture with geometry angles etc. This was weeks ago. Today I again look at All Mountain : owner has yet to correct this page??

In my mind if he cannot get the page right what does this say about product.

This is not a flame just an observation.

Freshly Fujified

I almost bought one, but....

Quote Originally Posted by taterbug View Post
    The old Ibex crowd seems to have abandoned the brand even though Jack is no longer at the helm. Whats up with that?
    I found a smokin' deal on an '09 Fuji Outland Pro at Performance Bicycle so I snagged it. I also was considering one of the Marocs, but as much as I'm intrigued by carbon fiber components, I personally would be afraid to lay out that kind of money for any bike. I also don't know enough about how strong and reliable a CF frame would be for a clyde.

As for the "old Ibex crowd", I was one of Jack's biggest proponets. At the time all the BS went down, my interest in MTB was waning, so between the two, I just pulled back from MTBR in general. While I can't speak for others, I can't help but believe many of the other "zealots" backed off for similar reasons. For me personally, I never had a change of heart regarding my opinion of the Ibex product and its value.

I happen to believe Garvin has his heart in the right place, and I hope he succeeds. It's a tough business, and he has an uphill battle against some significant (and frankly, undeserved) badwill. People tend to associate their feelings for Jack with the Ibex product, which is a bit unfair, but the two go hand in hand (think "Tony Ellsworth" for lack of a better example).

But I digress from the original topic in trying to address taterbug's point. The product still seems to be an incredible value, and hopefully people will see that.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde View Post
    It's a tough business, and he has an uphill battle against some significant (and frankly, undeserved) badwill. People tend to associate their feelings for Jack with the Ibex product, which is a bit unfair, but the two go hand in hand (think "Tony Ellsworth" for lack of a better example).
    Which is why lots of people, including myself, told him to change the name. Ibex is done...no updates to the website (which is poorly designed to begin with) in months and no new info on bikes. My guess is that he is trying to sell what he has and will then turn out the lights and close down shop.

Freshly Fujified

You could be on to something....

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    My guess is that he is trying to sell what he has and will then turn out the lights and close down shop.
    Really... the Iggy's never even made it up to the site. What a shame.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery