Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Alpine 450 ?s

  1. #1
    5,280 feet
    Reputation: Screamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    253

    Alpine 450 ?s

    Hey IBEXians,

    Despite some initial hiccups, everything with my Iggy Super is turning out nicely So nicely, in fact, that I heard from the g/f the other day: "Wow, that really makes me jealous. I wonder if I should get a new bike..."



    So anyway, long story short, we started looking at Alpines. She doesn't want to go full sus, so Iggy and Asta are out, and she's TINY (barely 5'1"), so Trophys are out (no 14" frames).

    So that leaves me two choices: Alpine 450 and Alpine 550. For some reason, there are no Alpine 650s in 14" Already sold out? Additionally, she's not really a fan of the Sand Black

    So, she's leaning towards the 450. I'm a little concerned due to some comments I've read about the Dart 1 shock and the Tektro brakes. There is also a dearth of reviews about the new 450 anywhere on the site. Additionally, I don't know if I have the tools to replace a shock...how much work is it if you've never done it before?

    So, can somebody help me out? What are your thoughts?
    My girlfriend recently told me that I have a one-track mind.
    I corrected her and said, "Actually, honey, the term is single track."

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin
    Hey IBEXians,

    Despite some initial hiccups, everything with my Iggy Super is turning out nicely So nicely, in fact, that I heard from the g/f the other day: "Wow, that really makes me jealous. I wonder if I should get a new bike..."



    So anyway, long story short, we started looking at Alpines. She doesn't want to go full sus, so Iggy and Asta are out, and she's TINY (barely 5'1"), so Trophys are out (no 14" frames).

    So that leaves me two choices: Alpine 450 and Alpine 550. For some reason, there are no Alpine 650s in 14" Already sold out? Additionally, she's not really a fan of the Sand Black

    So, she's leaning towards the 450. I'm a little concerned due to some comments I've read about the Dart 1 shock and the Tektro brakes. There is also a dearth of reviews about the new 450 anywhere on the site. Additionally, I don't know if I have the tools to replace a shock...how much work is it if you've never done it before?

    So, can somebody help me out? What are your thoughts?
    my girlfriend/ finacee is also very small, 4'10", I bought her a Kona Fire mountain which has a dart 1 on it, and its more then enough for her. IF your a freerider or crazy xc person then no the dart 1isnt good, but the dart3 has lockout etc and is quite a good fork for the money.
    Get her the 450 with the dart...unless of course she's a racer then get her a fox or a SID

  3. #3
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,880
    The frame on the 08' Alps is a trickle down effect from the 07' Trophy frame design..My Trophy handles like a dream, in the slower techy stuff as well as flat out hammering..As for climbing it out did my 05' ALP which was no slouch either..One of the main contributing factors I stuck with IBEX was the frame..

    If she aiming at the 450 because of color choice then you better go that way..The RS Dart 1 should be no problem..In her weight/size category it likely will function REAL well..

    On disco brakes I'm still in school, so my opinion would be irrelevant..Hopefully someone with Tektro smarts will chime in..I will say IMHO that again for her weight/size they would likely perform well..

    Good luck on getting more info, it seems the world has gone squishy but my heart is still in love with a good hardtail bike..I LOVE my TROPHY

    Jake..

  4. #4
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,694
    Before I went to BB7's I had tektro discs. They actually worked very well as long as they were setup properly.
    They are now on my fiance's bike and she loves em. Her first discs.
    As I said, they worked good for me, but as with any disc brakes they need to be setup and broken in properly.
    I'd say go for it.

  5. #5
    5,280 feet
    Reputation: Screamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1
    my girlfriend/ finacee is also very small, 4'10", I bought her a Kona Fire mountain which has a dart 1 on it, and its more then enough for her.
    Get her the 450 with the dart...unless of course she's a racer then get her a fox or a SID
    No racers here She gets mad at me when I (routinely) try to do more than I'm capable of. Thanks for the positive review
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    If she aiming at the 450 because of color choice then you better go that way..The RS Dart 1 should be no problem..In her weight/size category it likely will function REAL well..
    Good to hear I'm gonna guess that she MIGHT tip the scales at 120 with gear, so based on that it sounds like I should be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Before I went to BB7's I had tektro discs. They actually worked very well as long as they were setup properly.
    They are now on my fiance's bike and she loves em. Her first discs.
    Again, great to hear Thanks everyone!
    My girlfriend recently told me that I have a one-track mind.
    I corrected her and said, "Actually, honey, the term is single track."

  6. #6
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,880
    Screamin.

    Did ya order her the ALP?

    Jake

  7. #7
    5,280 feet
    Reputation: Screamin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    Screamin.

    Did ya order her the ALP?

    Jake
    LOL

    Not yet...I want her to look at the pictures ONE MORE TIME to make sure she likes it. Then I'll pull the trigger and have it built up by her B-day
    My girlfriend recently told me that I have a one-track mind.
    I corrected her and said, "Actually, honey, the term is single track."

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: laurenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    565
    Pics of girlfriend, please.

  9. #9
    Cuánto pesa?
    Reputation: Jake Pay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenlex
    Pics of girlfriend, please.
    LOL Coffee everywhere.......

  10. #10
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,694
    HAHAHAHAHA Lex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Screamin, keep us posted man.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •