mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Alpine 450 or Alpine 550

The problem I'm havin is they have the closeout deals on the 08 bikes goin on and I dont know weather or not to get the 450 or the 550 Alpine. Kinda new to the products on the bike and dont know if the 550 is worth the extra money. So if there is anybody that can give some help it would be great. So I can get this thing in the truck.

Cuánto pesa?
    Welcome to the FORUMz

Stock is real low so I believe it's more about what size..

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks. Thats what I didnt know if to wait for the 550 or go ahead and get the 450 because that bike would fit. Just didnt know if it was worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Also is the 18" bike to small for someone that is 6 to 6'1? I know some of it depends on ridin position and preference, but just wanted to make sure I wouldn't look like a clown on it.

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsphmy23
    Also is the 18" bike to small for someone that is 6 to 6'1? I know some of it depends on ridin position and preference, but just wanted to make sure I wouldn't look like a clown on it.
    I'd say you need a 20"

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/2008/...eo-Alpine.html

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by jsphmy23
    I'd think you are at the edge of the 18-20" range. I am 6'3" and ride an 18" Section 29. Some have described it as looking like a BMX bike under me (I'm a little big), but it fits me OK. Looking like a clown is irrelevant if the bike fits.

Given that you can't actually test ride the bike, it is a bit of a crap shoot. But that is the price you pay to get the price you pay.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    True. I currently ride an 18" Diamond Back. I feel like I sit to far over on the handle bars when I ride in to work. Thats why I was thinking that I might need to go alittle bigger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by utabintarbo
    I'd think you are at the edge of the 18-20" range. I am 6'3" and ride an 18" Section 29. Some have described it as looking like a BMX bike under me (I'm a little big), but it fits me OK. Looking like a clown is irrelevant if the bike fits.

Given that you can't actually test ride the bike, it is a bit of a crap shoot. But that is the price you pay to get the price you pay.
    It can be very tricky comparing between different models though. The 18" Section 29 actually has an effective top tube that is 1.5" longer than the 20" Alpine

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    It can be very tricky comparing between different models though. The 18" Section 29 actually has an effective top tube that is 1.5" longer than the 20" Alpine
    Agreed. Hence the "crap shoot" descriptor.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well I guess I need to find somebody around me that has an Ibex so I can see how it feels. Or what model out there may be similar to the Ibex?

Expert novice
    May 2008
    I'm right at 6'0" w/ 32 pants inseam and on an 18" 550. I shortened the stem from 100 to 90mm if that tells you anything. It's gonna depend if you prefer a smaller frame or a more stretched out riding position. If you give me a seatpost to bar or top tube measurement on your diamondback, I can take some comparison measurements on my 18" if that helps.

Here's what my riding position looks like on an 18". I don't know what colors are available on the 09 alpines, but i'm partial to the black on black.
    Attached Images Attached Images