Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Missouri Chubber
    Sep 2008

2009 Asta pro rear shock bolts

Well here goes....

I snapped a 2008 asta at the main triangle break point where the tip of my seatpost contacted the seat tube. While I was not happy about this flaw with the stock seatpost Ibex (James) was nice enough to warranty the frame even though it was a mere 2 months before they folded. The only problem is that the width of the 2009 rear shock bracket mounting points is a bit wider than on the 2008 frame.

I believe the width difference is due to the upgrade of the rear shock from a rockshox ario 2.2 to a rockshox monarch 2.2. While I WAS able to measure the difference (24.0mm vs. 25.5 top and 34.0mm vs 36.0mm bottom) in width of the Rockshox mounting hardware and order the correct kits I WAS NOT able to get the mounting bolts in the new width to fit. I'm aware that the bolts are M8 and obviously are sleeved bolts however I can only guesstimate the width difference based on the width difference of the mounting hardware kits (1.5mm and 2.0mm respectively).

If anyone can help me get the correct size sleeved M8 bolts either from an unused 2009 asta frame or has any bright ideas on where to get these please weigh in. The only thoughts I've had are calling the atlanta based bike shop which Ibex donated there excess parts to or scouting around auto shops for a generic length sleeved M8 bolt and having a machine shop grind it down to (what I think is) the correct length based on the measurements discussed above. I appreciate any information of the bolt widths or resources to get the bolts from. All the information I've been able to find has told me that these bolts are frame specific and only available from the frame manufacturer but it's been 2 months of waiting on these things and now I can't even get them direct from ibex so i'll be happy with any solution.

Thanks guys.

mighty sailin' man
    The more I think about it SOPO probably doesn't have anything. Ibex wasn't getting bikes in and probably wasn't getting spare parts either. Everyone knows they weren't answering the phone in service and it could have been in part due to lack of service parts.

I emailed them and we'll see what comes of it.

check this thread, maybe you could use that triangle
    Wouldn't ya know......

good luck!

Missouri Chubber
    Sep 2008
    Not an issue of the rear triangle being broken. The old frame has a large crack in the seat tube so it's trash. The new frame has wider mounting brackets at both top and bottom so one way or another I need wider mounting bolts for the rear shock. I could attempt to modify the frame by adding an old rear triangle, however the top pivot/mounting point for the rear shock which mounts directly onto the frame would still require a wider M8 bolt and there is no way I can change that.

mighty sailin' man
    scavenger hunt
    sucks that it's comes to this but...
    again, good luck!

ride hard take risks
    Can you post a pic of the bolt.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Missouri Chubber
    Sep 2008
    i'll post the sizes tonight after measuring as well as a photo of each bolt but essentially they look like the attached picture. Ibex's were sized to an M8 bolt and the width is very specific because when they fit perfectly they are perfectly flush with the inner edge of the shock hangar. There is a recessed area on this inner edge so the fit is very specific and my bolts from my 2008 frame came up less than a millimeter short. If anyone has spares or knows Ibex's source it would save me considerable time and money at a machine shop.

There is a rockshox kit which fits over this bolt once it is in place which functions to hold the eyelet of the shock in the exact middle of the bolt. Because of this the only visible portion of these bolts is the head when fully assembled. The bushings on the eyelets of the shock are supposed to be dissassembled and replaced every year or so to remove the slop from typical wear so most people riding a bushing rear shock should be familiar with this system. The bolts are not meant to take any real wear and as a result I was unable to find any standardized sizes or even a retailer who sells these bolts other than the shop which I acquired the image from:http://directbicycleparts.com/produc...s2218-qc53.htm

Since the bolts are frame specific the chances of finding one of these bolts to fit is pretty much nil so as I described earlier my only choice is to hunt around for a steel M8 sleeved bolt/pin like this and have it shaved down at a machine shop. Presently I don't even have a source for the uncut bolts/pins and I imagine the price for the machine shop's labor will not be very cheap. On top of all of this I don't know the material used for these pins or if they are even an exact M8 measurement. Considering how precise all the dimensions must be (failure results in broken shock, probably stabbed leg and crashed bike) I am more than a little worried about making this part myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 Asta pro rear shock bolts-fs2218.jpg  

ride hard take risks
    Thats allot of words.

You can wait to see what Jake wheels an deals on as well as check dlabs

http://www.greasybench.com/
    Formotion Products

Cuánto pesa?

I'm working on getting all the IBEX suspension hardware that is IBEX specific that Jack didn't' donate to that co-op.

Last edited by Jake Pay; 11-04-2009 at 07:44 PM.

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay

I'm working getting all the IBEX suspension hardware that is IBEX specific the Jack didn't' donate to that co-op.
    Was any donated? I haven't heard back from them yet.

ride hard take risks

I'm working getting all the IBEX suspension hardware that is IBEX specific that Jack didn't' donate to that co-op.

As the world famous MT would say A[SIZE="3"]l[SIZE="4"]l [SIZE="5"]F[SIZE="6"]ix[SIZE="7"]eD[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    Formotion Products

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    As the world famous MT would say A[SIZE="3"]l[SIZE="4"]l [SIZE="5"]F[SIZE="6"]ix[SIZE="7"]eD[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    you are sooo one to be out fixing spelling errors
    didn't think you even cared

is that famous or notorious?

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail
    Was any donated? I haven't heard back from them yet.

The donation consisted of components, tools and accessories

mighty sailin' man

The donation consisted of components, tools and accessories

nothing Ibex model specific?

Cuánto pesa?
    nothing Ibex model specific?
    Not that I know of.

There's even gonna be some suspension frame parts, which one's I DON"T KNOW!!!

mighty sailin' man
    Not that I know of.

There's even gonna be some suspension frame parts, which one's I DON"T KNOW!!!

maybe SOPO will have some deals on
    [SIZE="7"]spandex[/SIZE]
    hi dave

Cuánto pesa?
    maybe SOPO will have some deals on
    [SIZE="7"]spandex[/SIZE]

AND A DILDOasorus for your riding pleasure

fuggansonofahowa
    I couldn't imagine that SOPO would even want model specific parts. Crazy inventories of parts that don't work for the general public....just doesn't seem feasible.

Sniff around, JP....I'll probably take two.

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawseman
    Sniff around, JP....I'll probably take two.
    wouldn't hurt to get a swingarm, pivot bushings and rockers for your pals iggy either

just sayin

ride hard take risks

is that famous or notorious?
    Formotion Products

Cuánto pesa?
    I see mucho donations coming in to the Jake'd Foundation

ride hard take risks
    I see mucho donations coming in to the Jake'd Foundation

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 Asta pro rear shock bolts-girls21-7.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products

Cuánto pesa?
    [SIZE="7"]Mi Vida[/SIZE]

fuggansonofahowa
    wouldn't hurt to get a swingarm, pivot bushings and rockers for your pals iggy either

just sayin
    Thinking the same, MT. I could make a killing if I just happen to have one in the garage....but alas, I'm not that much of a prik. I want the world to ride. I think that "Jake'd" thingy is contagious.

MI VIDA!

mighty sailin' man
    Thinking the same, MT. I could make a killing if I just happen to have one in the garage....but alas, I'm not that much of a prik.
    same here
    I'll ask for it if and when I need it. More fun to watch santa dispense it in the forum anywho.

He gets off on it just a wee bit. Just a tad. Just a smidge

ride hard take risks
    MI VIDA!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast