Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

2008 Asta Expert vs Asta Pro

I'm probably ordering one of these 2008 Asta models tomorrow (Friday) morning. Other than being 2 lbs lighter, and the SRAM V9 vs Shimano XT debate, are there any other significant differences I should know about between the Expert and Pro?

I have no problem springing for the pro if it I will notice the differences... but I'm new to mountain biking so I feel like going with the pro might be completely wasted. And in fact, the Devo seat looks racier, and maybe is more uncomfortable for leisurely rides?

Also, regarding sizing: I'm 6'0" tall and 190lbs if that matters. I'm thinking of going with the 18" size even though it's the top of the recommendation. Thoughts?

Cuánto pesa?

Good job! Welcome to the FORUMz..................

Quote Originally Posted by rumatt
    I'm probably ordering one of these 2008 Asta models tomorrow (Friday) morning. Other than being 2 lbs lighter, and the SRAM V9 vs Shimano XT debate, are there any other significant differences I should know about between the Expert and Pro?

Also, regarding sizing: I'm 6'0" tall and 190lbs if that matters. I'm thinking of going with the 18" size even though it's the top of the recommendation. Thoughts?
    My view on the X9 vs the PRO...................
    In this corner we have the: 08' ASTA PRO
    Fork: Rock Shox Reba Race* 100mm Travel..Motion Control / Remote L/O
    External Rebound / Low-Spd Compression / External Floodgate better / lighter
    Shock: Manitou Swinger X3 Air* SPV / Manual L/O Overide better / lighter

Shifters: Shimano XT Rapidfire Plus personal preference
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT personal preference
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow personal preference

Crankset: TruVativ Stylo 3.3 Team (44/32/22T) better
    Bottom-Bracket: TruVativ GXP Team better
    Cassette: SRAM PG-980 lighter
    Brakes/Levers: Avid Juicy-7 Hydraulic Disc Brakes Stopping power plus / lighter
    Rims: Sun Equalizer EQ23 Welded Rims better
    Handlebar: FSA XC-190 lighter
    Seatpost: FSA Carbon Pro lighter
    Saddle: WTB Devo Team lighter
    Shock: Rock Shox Monarch 3.3 Air*..3-Position Platform/Lockout Switch

Shifters: SRAM X9 Trigger personal preference
    Front Derailleur: SRAM X9 personal preference
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 personal preference

Crankset: FSA V-Drive MegaExo (44/32/22T)
    Bottom-Bracket: FSA MegaExo
    Cassette: SRAM PG-970 9-spd (11-34T)
    Brakes/Levers: Hayes Stroker Trail Hydraulic Disc Brakes better modulation
    Rims: Sun Equalizer EQ23 Rims sleaved
    Handlebar: FSA XC-280 OS
    Seatpost: FSA SL-250
    Saddle: WTB Pure V Race
    The components not listed are the same on either bike..

Both bikes are well built and a steal for there asking price..
    But, the extra $300 for the PRO is more like $500 plus in upgrades..

Jake
    Lighter bikes pedal faster uphill
    Last edited by Jake Pay; 06-20-2008 at 12:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks Jake. That was helpful!

I think I may actually prefer the X9's shifters, brakes, and possibly seat... so I'm leaning toward the X9.

Can you expand on "better" for the shock and fork? Any specific qualities in particular? I'm not finding a lot of reviews on them.

Flying Goat
    the Reba race has a floodgate adjustment and it has lockout. The Swinger X3 and Monarch i'm not sure. I've always liked the Manitou air shocks especially the new Swingers and evolvers. They have a good midstroke support unlike other air shocks which just bottom out. Never tried the Monarch so i cant comment there. As for Sram vs Shimano, i'm a new Sram convert and am with you there. The Stroker Trails are also the brakes of my choice... XD

Cuánto pesa?
    The higher end suspension components offer a"little" more adjustability..In this case it's not a real big deal, both bikes have sweet offerings..

The X9 is a balanced built bike..I personally would have bought one if I was in the market for a complete ASTA..But all I wanted was the frameset/shock so I could build a sub 25pound XC F/S rig..
    And I did, it came out at 24.69 pounds with peds
    The SRAM X9 is a total winner in my book..All my bikes are Powered by SRAM..Good stuff..

So what's it gonna be, blue or orange?

Jake

PS..Strokers on my ATLAS (custom) Sporty and Juicy Carbons on the ASTA (super) PRO

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    So what's it gonna be, blue or orange?
    BLUE!!!!

Thanks guys. It's super hard not to climb the ladder, but in this case I think the X9 makes more sense. We'll see if I can not change my mind for at least an hour.

Now I just need to pick a size.

Cuánto pesa?
    BLUE!!!!

Thanks guys. It's super hard not to climb the ladder, but in this case I think the X9 makes more sense.

For the sizing dilemma I always suggest: info@ibexbikes.com or call 1-888-741-1464

[SIZE="3"]BLUE [/SIZE]

The White Jeff W
    BLUE!!!!

Thanks guys. It's super hard not to climb the ladder, but in this case I think the X9 makes more sense. We'll see if I can not change my mind for at least an hour.

I've had my X9 for a little over a week now and love it a little more each ride. Worked out a few bugs after the first ride and it's been an absolute beast since.

20" is 30 lbs even
    No moss...

Zero Miles from Myself
    What would the suspension design of the Asta be likened too? It looks similar to a Santa Cruz Blur but hard to tell from pictures I've seen.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...+MOUNTAIN+BIKE

What is the suspension type?

Flying Goat
    nothing like a Blur LT. The Blur LT is a VPP and the Asta is a 4 bar. Asta has 100mm travel and Blur has 135mm. Geometry is different as well. Blur LT is more agressive AM geometry while Asta is more no BS XC racing geometry... The Asta design would be similar to other 4 bar bikes... Though for some reason, it pedals like a goat... The bike just refuses to bob like other 4 bars...

Zero Miles from Myself
    My similarity comparison was in the way it LOOKS only. And of course Looks are deceiving, as I said, I could not get a clear pic of the SC. Thanks for clearning that up.

I am trying to get a feel for "feel" of the Asta. I am toying with the idea of a new bike ... mostly for component upgrades. As I look at the bikes in my price point - I really like the Look of the Asta, but really like the feel of my current bike, just not real thrilled about the components.

Right now I ride an '04 Marin Rock Springs with 6" of travel set to about 5" and I ride it at the 100mm fork range. I have an alpine link in the front which slackens the head to around 69* from just under 71* stock. But that suspension is more like a VPP (at least that is what I understand it to be).

Though it is an '04 I bought it new last year, but the parts are still dated compared to what is out there now.

The Rock Springs is more of an AM bike, but I think I would like the lighter feel of the Asta if I could like the ride/suspension.

Flying Goat
    The Marin Rock Springs is nothing like the VPP. Unlike the VPP, the Marin FS design shortens the wheelbase as it goes through travel. That makes it twitcher when you get into more aggressive riding.

The Asta is going to be a very fast pedaler compared to the rock springs. It will out sprint it, feel much more nimble and less clumsy. You must udnerstand you're like comparing apples and oranges... Though the Asta is no slouch. It can still handle some gnar despite it's XC roots.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Ya I am on to the Apples and Oranges thing. I just would not want the Asta to be a step back in design. I am guessing it is just a whole different beast all together .... which could actually be fun. Besides, being more "Nimble and less clumsy" - as you put it - may solve my main complaint with the RS .... for me it is not flickable enough (not really flickable at all)

As the RS not being a spin off of VPP, that is a subject for other debates. Patents prevent it from being exactly like a VPP, but some have compared it to the VPP design of the Blur.

Does- Marin Quad FRS = Santa Cruz VPP - And see page 2 for tavel compare pics

To get a wolf ridge or not

Me? I dont really care, it rides nice ... I am just looking for something different. I like the looks, weight and price point of the Asta X9

Flying Goat
    linkage... i love that program... helps me pass the time when i get bored... XD

If you're looking for a versatile FS rig, you cant go wrong with the Asta. It's just a very capable rig. It makes you able to pedal like you've got a motor in your legs and handles the rough... Hell, imo, i think it would make an awesome 4X rig as well...

From stuff like this

to stuff like this

Zero Miles from Myself
    But does it Climb like a Monkey

Here in North Fl we (obviously) have very few long climbs. Most trails have these short quick up / down things no bigger than a small house. They can be littered with Rocks, but are usually packed dirt. Me, I hate climbing, but need to to enjoy going down. Does the design of the Asta lend itself to "digging in" on those short hops?

mtbr member
    thats what the ASTA is made for bro!!!she is a whitetail at climbing....very agile, feels light, minimum pedal bob if non, very stable....heck you name it!!!!hey, too many questions and no trigger being pulled hahaha....you wont be disappointed
    [SIZE="4"]´07 IBEX Asta Expert X9 "La Bonita"
    ´04 LITESPEED Classic "Chispita"[/SIZE]
    Jan ´07 @ 224lbs - Jan ´08 @165lbs - Goal @ 155lbs

Just ride
    North Fl. ehh?

Me too. and also looking at an Asta Pro! This thread has been usefull so far

is the asta pro really 26.5lbs?
    You know what sucks worse than training? Losing.
    You know what sucks worse than losing? Nothing.

Ride on

Zero Miles from Myself
    Skim,

More like N. Central FL. Main Trail is Santos, get over to Alachua from time to time too. Both are same distance .... 1 hr away, but Santos offers more fun for me.

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by skim1040
    North Fl. ehh?

Ibex is pretty good at their target weights... I wouldnt be surprised if it came a little under...

Jake built his at 24.69lbs i think...

Just ride
    Very cool!

Santos is some fun stuff! the 12 hr. race there a few months ago was a good time!

I'm up in Tallahassee, so i'm within riding distance of Tom Brown. Good stuff!!

Ride on

Cuánto pesa?
    mm1 and skim1040,

Quote Originally Posted by skim1040
    North Fl. ehh?

All I can say is my 16" ASTA Pro frame with shock and hanger weighed in at 5.93 pounds..

Build weighed in at 24.69 pounds with pedals..Should be at 24.5 pounds by Saturday

Zero Miles from Myself
    Jake .... 16" ehh?

What is your size: ie personal weight, height, inseam? I am 180, 5'10" with a 32 inseam and yes most would say ride an 18" Asta. (or that I may be somewhere in between) But I would be looking for a bike that is "under me" rather than a bike that I am On top of.

If I get a new bike, I am looking for "flickable-ness". I wonder if a 16" would feel too small? I like small. A few years ago I was riding a Barracuda 15" HT.

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1
    Jake .... 16" ehh?

What is your size: ie personal weight, height, inseam? I am 180, 5'10" with a 32 inseam and yes most would say ride an 18" Asta. (or that I may be somewhere in between) But I would be looking for a bike that is "under me" rather than a bike that I am On top of.

If I get a new bike, I am looking for "flickable-ness". I wonder if a 16" would feel too small? I like small. A few years ago I was riding a Barracuda 15" HT.
    Hi mm,

Long time no type/talk..I'm 5' 9and3/4"..30" inseam..230 lbs..
    The bike is very responsive/fast and flickable..

I suggest you check out a couple bikes at the LBS and see how these ETT lenghts feel:
    Effective Top-Tube on the 16" is 22" and on the 18" it's 23.4"...
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/2008/.../Geo-Asta.html

Jake

Zero Miles from Myself
    Yea that is probably the best idea. you are about 2" shorter in the inseam than me. But a small 16" still seems like a good idea for me.

I followed both your Atlas and Asta builds. The Asta seems more to my style of riding and tastes.

Dang I wish I was not "hooked" here. I love my Marin RS, but I got the New bike blues

Just ride
    Any Ideas on the weight of the 20" frame.

I too like the idea of a smaller frame beneath me, but i'm afraid the 18" might be a bit too small.

I'm 6'1" and around a 34.5"-35" inseam. So it looks like the 20" would work best for me...
    any thoughts? Could I make due with the 18" frame?

Ride on

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast