Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004

Where to live to ride on Oahu

I got a job offer in Honolulu and I'm over here checking out the island. I like it. Mountainbiking is my favorite activity - bar none. It seems there is enough riding here to keep me happy. I have a realtor showing me homes later. Are there neighborhoods I should look at to be closer to rides. I like berms and jumps, and I like to climb.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I am not too sure on where to live but here are the trails that are usually ridden on

MTB Hawaii, a mountain bike community for Hawaii riders

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    idk if choosing where to live based on mtb trails is the best idea. there are trails everywhere and regardless where u live, u can get to any trail within a 45 min drive. if jumps are ur thing, aiea (central), kailua (east), and makakilo (west). Altho sunset/pupukea (north) has probably the best non jump trails. almost every subdivision has trails at the top where the housing ends and the mtn begins, but, as you go up the view gets better and housing prices go up too..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Probably be better to make your selection based on your commute to work, rather than the trail. Honolulu rush hour sucks.

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    Cool, thanks for all the info. My wife is liking Kailua, but it's pricey. I'd like a beach with less wind.

We may rent for a while, but that's pricey too.

Lots to think about...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedrd View Post
    Cool, thanks for all the info. My wife is liking Kailua, but it's pricey. I'd like a beach with less wind.

We may rent for a while, but that's pricey too.

Lots to think about...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    You could always take up windsurfing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Almost everything to live on these Islands are expensive. as for traffic on Oahu, it plain old sucks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trdspectacoma View Post
    as for traffic on Oahu, it plain old sucks.
    Yup, I don't miss that one bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    kailua is great for kite surfing and some nice trails nearby in Waimanalo, Kalaheo. Commute over the Pali is do able with a mtn bike via the old pali road. Traffic to and from town is tolerable.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Aikane has it right. Oahu traffic sucks, so base your living on where you're working. Riding a
    bike to work is an option if you have a shower at work. I grew up in Waimanalo and used to
    ride a shitty Huffy 10 speed to work at Bobby McGees in Waikiki. I did that 5 days/wk for over
    two years. Best shape of my life...and I was 18 haha.

Seriously though, you could ride to lots of places. And it's not just Honolulu traffic that's bad.
    Try driving the NS during a big swell or during a contest. It can take over an hour from Sunset to Haleiwa. Although the bypass helped a lot. You could ride your bike in less time.

Wailua is nice, great sailing (cats, lasers, or kite/wind surfing), nice beaches, snorkeling not too
    far away and Sandys is a great place for surf (as is Kaulua if you know where to go/don't
    mind sneaking around). Also, your drive to the North Shore is pretty mellow although all it
    takes is one person to make traffic.