The shops, the trails.
    Share your experiences.

~~~~~~~~

Maui

Maui's shops and trails.

Trails on state forest land.
    Poli Poli State Park
    Makawao Forest Reserve (coming soon)

Kapalua Resort has big plans for a trail system, more info as it becomes available. Please feel free to contact the resort and let them know what you want!!!

Shops per the latest yellow pages.

Crater Cycle - Kahului - 808-893-2020
    Haiku Cyclery - Haiku - 808-572-0259
    Haleakala Bike Co. - Haiku - 808-575-9575
    Island Biker - Kahului - 808-877-7744
    Maui Bicycle Works - Kahului - 808-893-2453
    Molokai Bicycle - Molokai - 808-553-3931, 800-709-2453
    South Maui Bicycles - Kihei - 808-874-0068
    West Maui Cycles - Lahaina - 808-661-9005
    Last edited by airwreck; 03-11-2008 at 01:48 PM.

mtbr member

Good job! Great thread.

Something like this should be on top of every Location section, to avoid the repeated questions on Where and Whats.

Very nice and thanks for adding this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Thread

Shaka Bikes is out of business but lots of good non biking info on this thread.

Planning a trip to Oahu--Advice

~~~~~~~~

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004

The scoop on Kauai Trails

Rent bikes here: Kauai Cycle and Tour or here: Outfitters Kauai

Kauai trail reviews:
    Alexander Reservoir
    Kalepa Ridge
    Kealia Trails
    Kuamoo/Nounou
    Moalepe
    Kuilau Ridge (connects with Moalepe)
    Powerline Trail

Enjoy.
    Last edited by MTBKauai; 03-08-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Hisforever

Oahu???

Jesus Saves

mtbr member

Kapalei

Good fun to be had past Ewa, til they finish developing anyway. Trails are covered with sticky red dirt, and flow down hill till you hit the freeway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masonet_hardtail
    Good fun to be had past Ewa, til they finish developing anyway. Trails are covered with sticky red dirt, and flow down hill till you hit the freeway.
    Which trails are you talking about? I just moved to Makakilo and would love to find some good trails here locally.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    mods should sticky this thing, make it bold so people don't miss it

Hisforever
    Makakilo will most likely be shut off as the building ensues. entry is difficult since neighbors call the cops who will likely be waiting for you at the bottom.

Another area of interest is St Louis Heights DH trails. Right in the middle of town. Moderate to difficult. Built as DH specific trails. Uphill from the bottom isnt really an option, best bet for xc is to start in the park up top and do small loops back.

mtbr member

Maunawili is good XC...

Not an expert on where to go by any stretch of the imagination, but I rode Maunawili and had a blast. Little tiring if your not used to riding for several hours, but fun none the less.
    Never too old to have fun...

mtbr member
    Aloha.
    Anyone have pics of the DH terrain/riding of the summit of Haleakala down to Poli Poli State Park? Lets see em! What an amaizing place on earth to ride. Also how are trail conditions Oct. thru winter? Thanks

Found this to add to the thread.
    http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=878
    DOWNHILL SESSION
    The DH riders shuttle past the XC turnoff and to 10,000 feet. Than they return on a Jeep trail back down to Poli Poli State Park. The trail is filled in deep pumice, has sharp turns and a singletrack section. Town: Kihei. South Maui Bicycles - Kihei - 808-874-0068

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasinTrail
    Anyone have pics of the DH terrain/riding of the summit of Haleakala down to Poli Poli State Park? Lets see em! What an amaizing place on earth to ride. Also how are trail conditions Oct. thru winter? Thanks
    Here's a video from youtube, and here is another classic ride report.

Oct. thru winter is the best season for riding in Poli Poli since it is the wet season and the dust isn't as bad. It can be cold, especially when it's wet.

Thanks for the MBA link.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Here's a video from youtube, and here is another classic ride report.

Oct. thru winter is the best season for riding in Poli Poli since it is the wet season and the dust isn't as bad. It can be cold, especially when it's wet.

Thanks for the MBA link.
    MBA link doesn't work....dead or just my problem?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    MBA link doesn't work....dead or just my problem?
    For some reason the link doesnt work anymore, i could have copied the "whole" list but at least i got the downhill portion of it

Airwreck - Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by ChasinTrail; 09-21-2007 at 04:53 PM.

I'm living the dream!

Mililani Trails

Does anyone know if it's ok to ride the Mililani trails?

I just moved back to Oahu a few months ago and heard it was sketchy riding back there because of the land owners or something. I know first hand from when I lived here before, the trails on the prison's property are off limits.

Last week as I was passing Ka Uka on the H2, I saw a couple bikers riding down that way from the Costco, so obviously somebody's riding down there. I live in Mililani town and would love to only travel that short distance to get to a trail head. Thanks for any info! -- Rick

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    yeah i remember when we rode there and got busted. lol.

i rode there a few more times after that--once by myself and a few more times with a group. the group was just too fast though and wasnt too keen on calling out turns so i never went back. know what u mean about it being the most convenient bikeable trail to schofield/mililani though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky D
    .... I know first hand from when I lived here before, the trails on the prison's property are off limits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hi - could anyone tell me if there is a bike shop in Oahu (Honolulu maybe?) - coming for a holiday from the UK and wondered if I could get Chris King hubs while the exchange rate is good...

mtbr member
    http://www.bikefactoryhawaii.com/ Honolulu
    http://www.bikeshophawaii.com/ Honolulu, Kailua, and Aiea
    http://www.bikewerx.net/ I bought my Redline 29er from them - not in Honolulu though
    http://www.mmhawaii.com/ New shop - never been

Check 'em out.

I'm living the dream!
    If you want to get something like CK hubs, I would recommend contacting them first to have them order some. These folks don't have a lot of eye candy in stock just sitting around. Bill Barnfield (Raging Isle) used to have a lot of blingy things in stock but he's scaled way back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for the info guys! I'll see what I can organise.

mtbr member
    Hey all,

are there any trails (or road riding) within riding distance from Waikiki? Places that rent bikes in the area?

Will be visiting mid-Feb and looking to sneak in a ride somewhere. Prefer mtb, but if there is only road riding, that will do.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Cheers for the advice!

mtbr member
    Bullet, I just bought a Seven road bike down at Bike Factory. I have CK hobs on both my mtn bikes and was talking to all the shops about them. The only ones here on Oahu that really seemed to know much about working on them was Bike Factory. They were also the shop that had the most high-zoot rigs to look at as well. They might be your best bet in regards to getting some items while you are on the island. Call them and ask for Carl.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hi Silent - just back from Oahu and Big Island. Had a fantastic time, what a cool place to live and ride! I dealt with Duane at Bike Factory and pre-ordered my CK hubs so they were waiting for me when we arrived. Saved myself loads of money over the UK price and walked back through customs here without any problems so it's all good. As you say Bike Factory and Duane were great to deal with - I also bought a Bike Factory top which will be unique back here in England.

Chers, Bullet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    A couple of questions for the Kauai riders:

I'm coming out in two weeks with my family, staying at the Hyatt, and will probably just get one morning or afternoon to myself to rent a bike and go ride. I'll bring my shoes, pedals, and helmet. I've got to choose whether to do a road ride or a mountain biking ride. I am primarily a mountain biker, but I love to climb on a road bike so I'm also looking at climbing the road up to the top of the canyon (yeah, I'm the kind that loves punishment). I've read the reviews above on the main trails in Kauai, and I've looked at the two bike rental shops. Outfitters Kauai seems to make the most sense and they apparently rent Kona Dawgs, which looks like a heavy bike but a nice bike. The other shop in Kaapa'a doesn't state what type of mountain bikes they rent.

If I do a mountain bike ride, I'd like to be out there for about two hours and either riding great single track or challenging technical trails.

1. What is my best bet for a mountain bike ride?

2. Should I pick the road climb up the canyon instead?

3. Does the shop in Kaapa'a rent good bikes? Anyone know what they rent?

Any advice is appreciated. If any of you ever make it to Florida I'll be glad to personally show you around our 70+ miles of trails at Santos.

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorback
    A couple of questions for the Kauai riders:
    If I do a mountain bike ride, I'd like to be out there for about two hours and either riding great single track or challenging technical trails.
    Great single track or challenging technical trails DO exist but are not going to be easy to find on your own. Buy John Alford's book. Mountain Biking the Hawaiian Islands.

Rent from Outfitters or Kauai Cycle and ride the 'Contour' road to 'Polihale Ridge' road (then down Polihale Ridge). Not single track (it's a jeep road) but easy to find and worth the views (plus you'll get to climb a LOT to get back to the car). Avoid Saturday and Sunday as those are hunting days.

That would be a good choice if you like road biking. Locals ride up the 'Kekaha' side then down the 'Waimea' side. I'd guess 70 minutes up, 20 down, 20 back to the car. That's just a guess.

3. Does the shop in Kapa'a rent good bikes? Anyone know what they rent?
    They got new Specialized something-or-others this year. Stumpys maybe? Drop them a note. I think their web site is in this thread. They'll have better trail info than Outfitters as they are a 'real' shop and their staff ride MTB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBKauai
    Great single track or challenging technical trails DO exist but are not going to be easy to find on your own. Buy John Alford's book. Mountain Biking the Hawaiian Islands.

Rent from Outfitters or Kauai Cycle and ride the 'Contour' road to 'Polihale Ridge' road (then down Polihale Ridge). Not single track (it's a jeep road) but easy to find and worth the views (plus you'll get to climb a LOT to get back to the car). Avoid Saturday and Sunday as those are hunting days.

That would be a good choice if you like road biking. Locals ride up the 'Kekaha' side then down the 'Waimea' side. I'd guess 70 minutes up, 20 down, 20 back to the car. That's just a guess.

3. Does the shop in Kapa'a rent good bikes? Anyone know what they rent?
    They got new Specialized something-or-others this year. Stumpys maybe? Drop them a note. I think their web site is in this thread. They'll have better trail info than Outfitters as they are a 'real' shop and their staff ride MTB.
    Thanks for the info. I got out my trusty guide book and those rides are obviously easy to find. Riding down Polihale Ridge looks like it would give me some serious climbing on the way back.

I think I'll stop into the Kauai Cycle shop early during my trip to check out their bikes and see if I might be able to hook up with some locals for a spirited group ride.

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004

Some Kauai Trail Photos

In order below (trail reviews above):

Alexander Reservoir
    Kalepa Ridge
    Powerline Trail
    Sleeping Giant (Nounou)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    that aint nounou
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBKauai
    In order below (trail reviews above):

Alexander Reservoir
    Kalepa Ridge
    Powerline Trail
    Sleeping Giant (Nounou)

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by neimac
    that aint nounou
    Sure it is. That's the bridge which crosses Opaekaa Stream — at the Kuamoo Road end of the trail.

mtbr member
    yer right my bad

International Lover

OT: non-bike love for our 50th state

Just returned from a 3-week visit. First time since our month-long Wai'anae adventure of '03. When we weren't on a beach or in the water, we were eating.

Maui finds:
    - Road to Hana - the journey truly is the destination. Fruit stand at mile marker 2 had the best coconuts and apple bananas.
    - Makawao Sushi & Deli - Great sushi. Great aloe juice, even at $5 a bottle.
    - The Sack n Save in Wailuku - Who'd have known that a grocery store would have the best selection of poke? Couldn't get enough.
    - Aqua Adventure (http://www.mauisnorkelsnuba.com/index.html) - Capt. Darryl and crew are first rate.
    - Lahaina - If we had to relocate from PA, this is where we'd go.
    - Gazebo Restaurant, Napili - great pancakes, great location. Not sure it's worth the 40-minute wait for a table, but you certainly won't leave hungry.
    - Iao Valley - got a tip about an unmarked trail that started at the top of the cement stairs. Family was treated with a great 90-minute hike up through the forest that ended with 360-degree views of the valley. Spectacular, especially the passion fruit I was able to enjoy on the way up.

Oahu finds/rediscoveries:
    - Ono on Kapahulu - best poke, bar none.
    - Leonard's (also on Kapahulu) - in addition to my poke withdrawl, I'm currently suffering from a burning desire for hot malasadas. A mid-morning staple during our week in Waikiki. Also love those Pao Duce Pups.
    - Rainbow Drive-In (again, on Kapahulu) - Good loco moco.
    - Genki - the food is average, but the kids loved the conveyor belt concept.
    - Paddle boarding - Rentals from Surf n Sea in Haleiwa kept us all busy, Currently looking for a source to purchase here on the (mainland) east coast.
    - "Turtle Beach", on the North Shore. We're honu nuts, and we still can't figure out how we never found this place during our last trip. Also encountered my first octopus while deep-water snorkeling here.
    - Jumping/diving of the rock in Waimea Bay - it never gets old, especially for my 11-year old. Turned a few local heads when I nailed the swan dive off the back (left) side.
    - Shrimp Shack (Punaluu) - Nice find, especially as we hadn't packed a lunch for that day's travels. Medium spice is just right.
    - The vistas along Kalanianale Highway, just north of Hanauma Bay - Stunningly gorgeous. Great photo ops of the sea crashing onto the smooth, layered landscape. Amazing.
    - Road side coconuts - I love starting my day with some fresh coconut water and the subsequent jelly. Found a woman with a knack for picking the perfect one.
    - Leonard Jrs., in the Old Navy parking lot in Waikele - just when I thought our move to the west side would preclude me from enjoying my custard-filled treats....too bad they had no lilikoi filling (flavor of the month).
    - Kona Brewing Co. - enjoyed my fair share of Fire Rock. Used the caps to practice my Hawaiian.
    - Roadside poke along Farrington Highway - great value for a great product. Shame I couldn't find the guy who used to sell tamales along that same stretch of road.

Thanks to all locals who made our return to Hawaii another trip for the ages.
    And speaking of trips, what's with the poke? I'm certainly not complaining, but man does that stuff mess with my head. Every time I ate it (approx. 15 out of 21 days) I had the TRIPPIEST dreams. Really quite cool.

Mahalo, and aloha.
    -C
    Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hi from the UK!
    I'm on vacation in Oahu in a few weeks time, and was thinking it might be cheaper for me to buy a couple of budget bikes for the wife and I. Just a mountain bike for pleasure use.

Only thing is - where sells them? - all the shops I can find on the internet are specialist ones.
    I only want to be paying around $100 per bike. We have shops in the UK that do this sort of item, where would I find it in the US? - Tried Home depot website - none listed.

Any ideas?

Regards.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by nads1978
    Hi from the UK!
    I'm on vacation in Oahu in a few weeks time, and was thinking it might be cheaper for me to buy a couple of budget bikes for the wife and I. Just a mountain bike for pleasure use.

Only thing is - where sells them? - all the shops I can find on the internet are specialist ones.
    I only want to be paying around $100 per bike. We have shops in the UK that do this sort of item, where would I find it in the US? - Tried Home depot website - none listed.

Any ideas?

Regards.
    Not sure how much "pleasure" you can derive from riding one, but try Kmart or Wal Mart for a 40lb+ pig. Just don't try to use it as a real mountain bike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Brilliant thanks, it is going to be left when we leave, we will only be on the road/tracks - nothing too 'hard core!'

Air Pirate
    I will be going out to Oahu to visit my Bro-in-law in the beginning of April. Looked online to find rentals of bikes but only found The Bike Shop advertising their Specialized stuff for $85.00 per day. Anywhere else to rent? I will be all over, but I am staying in Hauula.

If I don't get a rental bike would it be worth the while to try that Mountain Biking package deal out at Kualoa Ranch? Around $100 or so for 6 hours, including lunch? $35 more gets a full suspension bike for use? Anyone know if there is a kamaaina rate if my bro-in-law gets the package for me?

I would love to bring my own bike, but the cost to bring it on the airline or to ship it is complete BS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nads1978
    Brilliant thanks, it is going to be left when we leave, we will only be on the road/tracks - nothing too 'hard core!'
    I don't know if they'll let non-student participate in this program.

http://www.uhm.hawaii.edu/cgi-bin/uh...20080507160348

Please consider donating your bike to the University program or KVibe.

Kivibe: http://bikeexchange.blogspot.com/

Moosehead

Big Island - Kalopa State Park

Big ups for Kalopa State Park on northeastern side of BI. Camping sites and cabin rentals available within the park. Bike rentals at HP Bike Works on Kona side.

Edit: fixed it thanks Gmats.

Xpost with photos here: Hawaiian Jungle Love
    Last edited by moosehead; 03-31-2009 at 07:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    Big ups for Kalopa State Park on northeastern side of BI. Camping sites and cabin rentals available within the park. Bike rentals at BC Bike Works on Kona side.

Xpost with photos here: Hawaiian Jungle Love

Awesome follow up moosehead. One thing though, the shop in Kona is HP Bikeworks.

http://www.bikeworkskona.com/

Give those boys a call, they're really cool!!!

Aloha,
    g

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey Gmats, you up for a ride sometime out there? I just got into mountain biking again and use to do it allot as a kid. Got a starter bike and started riding some trails here on the big island. I live Kona side and do lots of local stuff. Mostly Makalawena and uphill from maks is a nice section about 4 miles all down hill that connects upper highway to lower highway.

Anyways I am always down for a ride as long as you don't laugh at my bike.

This is what we call lifties above maks. It does not look like a trail but it is. Its choke lose softball size rocks and lava. Not to hard but fun.

Maks here.

Oh and I don't mind helping clear trails ether... Kind of do stuff like that for work anyways.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi there I will be on vacation there from Jan 29 in honolulu and fly to Kauai on feb 1.

my friends don't bike so I prefer to join a tour...however the only tour I found was outfitters Kauai and it's not even a tour done on a MTb . It's for non experienced mtbers too, using comfort bikes! Are there any tours or guides for actual mtb trails ? Like 1 ft drops, switchbacks but also views of there beautiful waterfalls n surroundings?

mtbr member
    sorry brother nothing like that over here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just rented bikes from Kauai Cycle in Kappa, based on recommendations on here. Gotta say I'm not real happy with the guy who told me there is NO singletrack on the island. Got much better info from the Wailua RIver Kayak guide than this guy.
    I went to this shop to support local riders and was disappointed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Bike shops can be unreliable here... I am blessed and lucky that all the shops here on the big island know about most of the trails cause they ride them all the time. I have not been impressed with some of the other shops I have been to on the other islands. There are good ones but bad ones too.

Sign Killa

no singletrack?

That's surprising as that's a good crew in there. You're not by chance an a*hole are you?
    I'm kidding...

Fortunately, all the info you really need about our trails is in this sticky... It's been wet so I hope the trails dry out enough for you to get some good riding in.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikislacker
    Just rented bikes from Kauai Cycle in Kappa, based on recommendations on here. Gotta say I'm not real happy with the guy who told me there is NO singletrack on the island. Got much better info from the Wailua RIver Kayak guide than this guy.
    I went to this shop to support local riders and was disappointed.
    That's really surprising since their crew rides nearly all of the trails on Kauai.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Kauai singletrack

It is true that there aren't many singletrack trails on Kauai, legal ones anyway. Because it rains quite a bit here, you're liable to hurt yourself with all the roots, ruts, and rocks on the trails. Got some pretty brutal stuff. Best to hook up with someone who knows where to go.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by akaw
    It is true that there aren't many singletrack trails on Kauai, legal ones anyway. Because it rains quite a bit here, you're liable to hurt yourself with all the roots, ruts, and rocks on the trails. Got some pretty brutal stuff. Best to hook up with someone who knows where to go.

Not sure about the whole getting hurt on roots and rocks thing on the single track on Kauai.
    But, I would say trying to find the fun trail on Kalepa is a pain without a guide. It's a real shame
    the powers that be on Kauai haven't figured out that bike riding is a fun healthy sport that should
    be encouraged instead of made illegal/inaccessible.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Aaahhh, I remember Kalepa fondly with all of it's rooty off camber goodness. I also remember always being a gentleman and letting someone else go first (to clear out the crab spiders).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit
    Not sure about the whole getting hurt on roots and rocks thing on the single track on Kauai.
    But, I would say trying to find the fun trail on Kalepa is a pain without a guide. It's a real shame
    the powers that be on Kauai haven't figured out that bike riding is a fun healthy sport that should
    be encouraged instead of made illegal/inaccessible.
    YUP SECOND THAT
    Respect the Aina....Aloha

mtbr member

North SHore SHops and guide

Looks like Raging Isle and Sugar Mill shops aren't renting bikes. I'm from western Colorado and want to ride June mid week middle June. Anyone interested and have a large bike. Could hire as guide out of Waialua too. I can Dh, FR or XC. Prob rather get a xc or freeride loop in since I wont have all my DH gear. I'll be at Sunset so let me know by PM or thread re.

Thanks
    gjmountainbiking.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by R-MTBs
    Looks like Raging Isle and Sugar Mill shops aren't renting bikes. I'm from western Colorado and want to ride June mid week middle June. Anyone interested and have a large bike. Could hire as guide out of Waialua too. I can Dh, FR or XC. Prob rather get a xc or freeride loop in since I wont have all my DH gear. I'll be at Sunset so let me know by PM or thread re.

Thanks

this place is dead. post your questions at www.dhhawaii.com.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol
    this place is dead[/url].
    must be the control freaks
    Last edited by airwreck; 06-13-2010 at 04:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

biking near waikoloa village?

hello all!

i'm going to be in waikoloa village in November, the sig other is attending a conference there so i got boatloads of time on my hands.

i've read through the sticky and it seems my best bet for mtb rentals is at bikeworkskona, which is about an hr away.

anyone have any experience riding closer to waikoloa?

thanks for any intel!

cheers

Puddle Monkey
    Sep 2010

gnarly trails

there are some intense trails at kulani on fridays, but that is on the other side of the island. if you end up on the hilo side of the island, then ask the folks at the Hilo Bike Hub about the friday ride, and they'll tell you where to go

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    bike works just open a shop up in the queen shops in waikaloa. check them out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Kona area trails

Hey all,

Visiting Hawai'i next week, staying up the Kohala Coast about 20 mile form Kona. Checked out Bikeworks, may rent a bike.

So, any trail recommendations? Looking for some singletrack, nothing too gnarly and no 3000-foot climbs! Just a fun place to ride and exercise on vacation.

Thanks!
    BigTex91

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Kauai ride

Hi Guys, I will be in Kauai (Kapaa area) Jan. 4th thru 14th with mountain bike, will be riding every other day. If anybody wants to ride contact me.

Louie
    louiemtb@aol.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    hello all - ill be in maui in a couple of weeks here, thinking about taking the ferry over to molokai as well. anyone have any experience mtn biking there?
    Intense Carbine C
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Ventana El Comandante
    Borealis Yampa
    9:Zero:7 Al
    Soma Wolverine
    Surly LHT

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeis11
    hello all - ill be in maui in a couple of weeks here, thinking about taking the ferry over to molokai as well. anyone have any experience mtn biking there?
    AFAIK, there's not much any more. Molokai Ranch used to have a trail system, but I don't think it's been maintained for years. From what I understand, if you do it be sure to have slime tubes and lots of spares (mega thorniness).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    bike im bringing will be set up with real tubeless, so maybe i could make it out unscathed? ill be sure and ask the lbs when i land on maui too. thanks for the heads up!
    Intense Carbine C
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Ventana El Comandante
    Borealis Yampa
    Soma Wolverine
    Surly LHT

yohyatt
    Mar 2009

Trail suggestions for Maui

Hi there,

So as it goes, my girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Maui in April next year, and we are planning on doing our open water test for SCUBA, (2 days), a day or two of hiking, some surfing, and of course, some biking.

Can anyone give me some ideas on where we should ride? Is Poli Poli the best place to go get on some singletrack? Is that crater shuttle run worth it? heard you take a fireroad/pavement down the hill - sounds horrible. I'd like to get on some nice remote singletrack - 10-20 mile ride, and if there are some good shuttles - those are good too!

Is Maui a good island for mt biking - or is there another island that has much better biking, and rentals

Looking for a day or 2 (if warranted) of riding. I guess we are going here as a "real" vacation - so i can't do more than 2 days of riding....

If Maui is a good place for all the things I'm looking to do, whose got the nicest bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thrilled this info is here. can anyone give pro's and con's for rentals around maui? heading over soon and i have done my own web search but tough to know who really delivers. thanks.
    chewy

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    McCulley Bike in honolulu is my favorite. Good service, and they also have fishing stuff there. A great fix shop (also mcCulley) bike right down the road

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    hey all!

its that time of year again, and im headed back to hawaii. this time its to honolulu.

had a pretty fun time riding macao forest last time around, but poi poi was closed due to mudslides.

ill be bringing my own bike in again this year. any trail suggestions for the island of oahu?

thanks!
    Intense Carbine C
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Ventana El Comandante
    Borealis Yampa
    Soma Wolverine
    Surly LHT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeis11 View Post
    hey all!

its that time of year again, and im headed back to hawaii. this time its to honolulu.

had a pretty fun time riding macao forest last time around, but poi poi was closed due to mudslides.

ill be bringing my own bike in again this year. any trail suggestions for the island of oahu?

thanks!
    I don't know who runs this, but MTB Hawaii, a mountain bike community for Hawaii riders has some good info.

As far as trails go, I recommend (not in any order): Aiea Loop trail, PeacockFlats/Kealia Loop and/or Keana point, and St Luis Heights (Waahila Ridge)-for the downhill run. There are a number of others that are equally as good. Be sure to stop by the shops (Bike Factory, The Bike Shop and Mc Cully Bike. Island Triathlon is good too, but they don't really do mountain bikes much anymore).

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeis11 View Post
    hey all!

thanks!
    Are you referring to Makawao Forest and Poli Poli? It's open again (rode there last night) but has lots of loose, dusty sections on the Mamane and Upper Waihouli trails after recent trail work.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by gsoroos View Post
    I don't know who runs this, but MTB Hawaii, a mountain bike community for Hawaii riders has some good info.

As far as trails go, I recommend (not in any order): Aiea Loop trail, PeacockFlats/Kealia Loop and/or Keana point, and St Luis Heights (Waahila Ridge)-for the downhill run. There are a number of others that are equally as good. Be sure to stop by the shops (Bike Factory, The Bike Shop and Mc Cully Bike. Island Triathlon is good too, but they don't really do mountain bikes much anymore).
    I ran into No Bikes signs up at Aiea last week. Did not see those when I was last here in June '11.

mtbr member

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz View Post
    I ran into No Bikes signs up at Aiea last week. Did not see those when I was last here in June '11.
    Oh no! That's sad. One of my all time favorite trails. I even got married at the trailhead.

~~~~~~~~
    MOLOKAI

For those of your who plan to visit the island of Molokai, please stop by and say "HI" to Phillip Kikugawa and the folks at Molokai Bicycles. They offer free drop offs and pickups at Hotel Molokai, Molokai Shores and Kaunakakai Harbor. Airport drop offs and pickups are $20 each run.

His website is: Maui Bike Rental | Molokai Bicycle . Phone is: 808-553-3931 or 808-553-5740. Hours are: Wed 3-6pm and Sat 9-2pm or call him for an appt.

Also check out their YouTube videos at: molokaibicycles's Channel - YouTube to get an idea of the mtb riding and conditions (and "Ted's Crash"-I'm sure we can all relate to this).

LANAI

For those of you who haven't been to Lanai, check out one of the Tri lanai events that can be found at: www.trilani.com

Right now, check out the TriLanai Passport 2012 : 10% discount on entry fees by 2/14/2012

Sign up for all three TriLanai 2012 events at the same time and receive a 10% discount on the entry fee total!! You'll have to do the math yourself because your total will be different if you are a Lanai resident, Hawaii resident, or non-Hawaii resident. Just add up the entry fees for all three events and then take 10% off the total.

Print out the three applications from the TriLanai.com website and send in all three at the same time with your discounted entry fee by 2/14/2012 (Valentine's Day)! See TriLanai.com for details.

For a Hawaii resident, here's the math:

$40 TriLanai 3Hills (50mi bike ride OR ultra marathon)

$25 TriLanai City 21K/10K/5K & Keiki Run

$60 TriLanai Triathlon

$125 Total

-$12.50 10% TriLanai Passport discount

$112.50 for all 3 TriLanai 2012 Events!

That's ridiculously cheap! Come TriLanai 2012!

Also the Four Seasons Resort rents bikes to guests. They use West Maui Cycles for repairs and replacements so it should all be good.

Lanai Eco Adventures rents out mountain bikes. Several folks have used their bikes for the triathlon. Check out Lanai Eco Tourism Center Lanai's adventure Center, Lanai Jeep Rentals, Lania Snorkel Tours and kayak Adventures for more information.

Jeremiah Littlepage (jermlittlep@hotmail.com) also provides bike tours and repairs for folks. His contact number is: 804-304-8075

mtbr member
    I found this link while searching around for some Oahu riding, has some good info with directions to trailheads. . Trails

Not doing enough research beforehand and having the hassle of renting a car to get somewhere (riding alone to top it off) I am going to hit this place up - Bike Hawaii - Explore Oahu with our nature guides on a Guided Eco Adventure from the Rainforest to the Reef while Hiking, Biking, Kayaking, Sailing and Snorkeling, Nature Tours of hidden Oahu, Mountain Bike trails, books, maps, eco tours, photos, sin

Hopefully this helps someone and you dont wait till day 3 of your 7 day vacation to try and find something lol.
    Pricey as far as Im concerned, but all the reviews are positive and say its worth it.

JRA
    Quote Originally Posted by fatty los View Post
    I found this link while searching around for some Oahu riding, has some good info with directions to trailheads. . Trails

Not doing enough research beforehand and having the hassle of renting a car to get somewhere (riding alone to top it off) I am going to hit this place up - Bike Hawaii - Explore Oahu with our nature guides on a Guided Eco Adventure from the Rainforest to the Reef while Hiking, Biking, Kayaking, Sailing and Snorkeling, Nature Tours of hidden Oahu, Mountain Bike trails, books, maps, eco tours, photos, sin

Hopefully this helps someone and you dont wait till day 3 of your 7 day vacation to try and find something lol.
    Pricey as far as Im concerned, but all the reviews are positive and say its worth it.
    We (me and the wife) have done this Bike Hawaii tour. It was a good way to get some pedaling in while on Oahu. We did it for the convenience--not having to rent a car and bikes then having to find some trails. They pick you up and supply pretty much everything you need, plus lunch.

Understand, though, it is a tour. You can have noobs and a family with kids in your group (we had both) and this can slow things down. Although, we were coming off our off-season and going from cold temps at home to 80's and humidity so some of the rest breaks were appreciated.

The tour was combination of double-track, some muddy ST and trail blazing through the pastures. The ride is through the Ka'a'awa valley. They have used this area for a lot of movie sets (think Jurassic Park) so there are a bunch of abandoned movie sets to keep things interesting (I had fun hucking on the dinosaur footprints). Riding through the cow pastures trying to avoid the bulls (wild boars too) kept our attention. I think it was 2- 2 and a half hours of riding.

Bring a camera, the scenery is great. I agree, the tour was pricey.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Wailuku Trail - Maui

Can anybody tell me anything about the Wailuku Trail? I 'll be on Maui and looking to get some real mountain biking in. I don't mind riding up the hill as long as there is some decent downhill payoff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by donjc451 View Post
    Can anybody tell me anything about the Wailuku Trail? I 'll be on Maui and looking to get some real mountain biking in. I don't mind riding up the hill as long as there is some decent downhill payoff.
    Try sending "whodaphuck" a pm. Pretty sure he is on Maui. He's about 7 posts up^

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Aloha,

I will be in Oahu this nov 14-20th and Im trying to find a bike rental place and trails to ride.. any recommendations?

thanks
    Mike

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by donjc451 View Post
    Never heard of that trail...don't think it exists. There are a few private property trails near Wailuku (Mac Nuts e.g.) but no public access trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ae86coupe View Post
    Aloha,

I will be in Oahu this nov 14-20th and Im trying to find a bike rental place and trails to ride.. any recommendations?

thanks
    Mike
    Home :: Not just any bike shop.... THE BIKE SHOP ::

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hello Forum,

I'm looking to start riding religiously about 4 times a week and have very little experience past road biking as a child for a about 7 miles to a girlfriends house late at night.

I got a crappy bike from the PX on schofield and imediately realized I love to ride, legs in pain... Wind... Tired as hell... I enjoyed it... every second of just riding around post.

Anyone know a good beginer trail? I don't mind getting my ass kicked and if I have a trail to ride, I'll finish it... Cant say when but I'll get it done

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

1st choice for beginners

And a lot of fun even if you are not a beginner.... Maunawili Ditch Trail between Kailua and waimanalo

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anybody wants to go mountain biking? I live on Oahu....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    newb on oahu here and just started recently. rode the bike path for some type of workout and also tried kaena point. took royal summit and loved it. now it's my sort of regular spot. haven't gone to the north shore and windward side trails. royal summit is the closest too so that plays a big part. can't really offer advice or arrange rides but i'll gladly join anyone mtb'ing.
    Last edited by db_8; 11-30-2012 at 11:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBKauai View Post
    Rent bikes here: Kauai Cycle and Tour or here: Outfitters Kauai

Kauai trail reviews:
    Alexander Reservoir
    Kalepa Ridge
    Kealia Trails
    Kuamoo/Nounou
    Moalepe
    Kuilau Ridge (connects with Moalepe)
    Powerline Trail

Enjoy.
    Going to be in Kauai Feb to march for a couple weeks. Would love to go riding. Are these trails still ride able? Most of the reviews are from several years ago... Anything new or any challenging trails I could check out?
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Does anyone have detailed maps of MTB trails in Maui, especially Makawao Forest? I've done the usual searching on Strava, Google etc...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrickT View Post
    Does anyone have detailed maps of MTB trails in Maui, especially Makawao Forest? I've done the usual searching on Strava, Google etc...
    Aloha, Have you tried the trail maps posted on West Maui Cycles site?
    westmauicycles.com/makawao-forest-bike-trails-maui-map/

or, the old county bike map may be useful for you, too.
    westmauicycles.com/Maui-County-Bicycle-Map/

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Hi Silent - just back from Oahu and Big Island. Had a fantastic time, what a cool place to live and ride!
    Chers, Bullet.
    hey man, what rides did you do on Oahu? any ones you'd recommend for this time of the year? (I'm headed there next week)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Hi Silent - just back from Oahu and Big Island. Had a fantastic time, what a cool place to live and ride!
    Chers, Bullet.
    hey man, what rides did you do on Oahu? any ones you'd recommend for this time of the year? (I'm headed there next week)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by db_8 View Post
    newb on oahu here and just started recently. rode the bike path for some type of workout and also tried kaena point. took royal summit and loved it. now it's my sort of regular spot. haven't gone to the north shore and windward side trails. royal summit is the closest too so that plays a big part. can't really offer advice or arrange rides but i'll gladly join anyone mtb'ing.
    hey man, I'll be on Oahu next week, down to do some riding. PM me and lets try to coordinate something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by erics4569 View Post
    hey man, I'll be on Oahu next week, down to do some riding. PM me and lets try to coordinate something.
    oh crap... lost my subscription to this thread. sorry man...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Heading to Kauai over Christmas. How is the riding that time of year? Any trail recommendations that are easy to find and non-dangerous that time of year?

mtbr member
    bump...
    I'll be headed out to Oahu from Colorado in July, would love some beta on trails near Nanakuli...it appears there was/is an Enduro race near there? Any other recommendations on a half day, 30 mile ride in southwest Oahu? Mahalo!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nanakuli? Only one I know out that way is peacock flats. Get permit to drive up satellite tracking station road. There's makakilo not too far away.
    20 miles on trail in sw Oahu? Don't think that'll happen. Millilani is outlaw but had some distance. Been hearing access is getting loose now. Sunset hill out north is our usual place now. I can rack up 15 miles easy there. Out east there's maunawili demonstration. Wet and technical, that's pretty long. I've known some guys who ride from town, over the Pali, hit the demon trail, then ride back through the south to make a big loop. That's pretty hardcore and the Pali road ride is sketchy.
    St. Louis heights in town is often our after work quickie. 40 minute road grind up, 10 minutes trail bomb DH.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Cup View Post
    bump...
    I'll be headed out to Oahu from Colorado in July, would love some beta on trails near Nanakuli...it appears there was/is an Enduro race near there? Any other recommendations on a half day, 30 mile ride in southwest Oahu? Mahalo!
    The enduro-race you reference is probably at Timberline Camp - upslope of Makakilo.

From Nanakuli headed west-bound, you could easily ride 30+ miles of pavement/dirt. Pedal the asphalt past Makaha until it runs out at Yokohama Bay/Three Dips; the road continues (dirt) toward Kaena Point. The (dirt) road continues around the northwest-edge of Oahu until it meets pavement (end of the hwy from the north-shore) again.
    "...emptybe_er's just a nice-guy."

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ugh, Kaena is prob one of my least favorite trailrides on Oahu. Its shoreline trail, sandy, hot. The scenic view of ocean is nice, but I prefer trails in the mountains.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Ugh, Kaena is prob one of my least favorite trailrides on Oahu. Its shoreline trail, sandy, hot. The scenic view of ocean is nice, but I prefer trails in the mountains.
    Half-day; 30-mile ride; near Nanakuli.
    "...emptybe_er's just a nice-guy."

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'd rather do peacock flats to kealia then back round Kaena, but that requires getting the permit for two vehicles to drive up satellite tracking road. Bicycles are not permited on that road so you have to drive, although we did outlaw down it once.
    SW Oahu is a little confusing description though, that would be more in town/pearl city to me.

Members who have read this thread: 12