The shops, the trails.
Share your experiences.

#2 · (Edited)
Maui

Maui's shops and trails.

Trails on state forest land.
Poli Poli State Park
Makawao Forest Reserve (coming soon)

Kapalua Resort has big plans for a trail system, more info as it becomes available. Please feel free to contact the resort and let them know what you want!!!

Shops per the latest yellow pages.

Crater Cycle - Kahului - 808-893-2020
Haiku Cyclery - Haiku - 808-572-0259
Haleakala Bike Co. - Haiku - 808-575-9575
Island Biker - Kahului - 808-877-7744
Maui Bicycle Works - Kahului - 808-893-2453
Molokai Bicycle - Molokai - 808-553-3931, 800-709-2453
South Maui Bicycles - Kihei - 808-874-0068
West Maui Cycles - Lahaina - 808-661-9005

#84 ·
#9 ·
masonet_hardtail said:
Good fun to be had past Ewa, til they finish developing anyway. Trails are covered with sticky red dirt, and flow down hill till you hit the freeway. :thumbsup:
Which trails are you talking about? I just moved to Makakilo and would love to find some good trails here locally.

#11 ·
Makakilo will most likely be shut off as the building ensues. entry is difficult since neighbors call the cops who will likely be waiting for you at the bottom.

Another area of interest is St Louis Heights DH trails. Right in the middle of town. Moderate to difficult. Built as DH specific trails. Uphill from the bottom isnt really an option, best bet for xc is to start in the park up top and do small loops back.

#13 ·
Aloha.
Anyone have pics of the DH terrain/riding of the summit of Haleakala down to Poli Poli State Park? Lets see em! What an amaizing place on earth to ride. Also how are trail conditions Oct. thru winter? Thanks

Found this to add to the thread.
http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=878
DOWNHILL SESSION
The DH riders shuttle past the XC turnoff and to 10,000 feet. Than they return on a Jeep trail back down to Poli Poli State Park. The trail is filled in deep pumice, has sharp turns and a singletrack section. Town: Kihei. South Maui Bicycles - Kihei - 808-874-0068

#14 ·
ChasinTrail said:
Anyone have pics of the DH terrain/riding of the summit of Haleakala down to Poli Poli State Park? Lets see em! What an amaizing place on earth to ride. Also how are trail conditions Oct. thru winter? Thanks
Here's a video from youtube, and here is another classic ride report.

Oct. thru winter is the best season for riding in Poli Poli since it is the wet season and the dust isn't as bad. It can be cold, especially when it's wet.

Thanks for the MBA link.

#17 ·
Mililani Trails

Does anyone know if it's ok to ride the Mililani trails?

I just moved back to Oahu a few months ago and heard it was sketchy riding back there because of the land owners or something. I know first hand from when I lived here before, the trails on the prison's property are off limits.

Last week as I was passing Ka Uka on the H2, I saw a couple bikers riding down that way from the Costco, so obviously somebody's riding down there. I live in Mililani town and would love to only travel that short distance to get to a trail head. Thanks for any info! -- Rick

#18 ·
yeah i remember when we rode there and got busted. lol.

i rode there a few more times after that--once by myself and a few more times with a group. the group was just too fast though and wasnt too keen on calling out turns so i never went back. know what u mean about it being the most convenient bikeable trail to schofield/mililani though.

Ricky D said:
.... I know first hand from when I lived here before, the trails on the prison's property are off limits.

#23 ·
Hey all,

are there any trails (or road riding) within riding distance from Waikiki? Places that rent bikes in the area?

Will be visiting mid-Feb and looking to sneak in a ride somewhere. Prefer mtb, but if there is only road riding, that will do.

Thanks!

#25 ·
Bullet, I just bought a Seven road bike down at Bike Factory. I have CK hobs on both my mtn bikes and was talking to all the shops about them. The only ones here on Oahu that really seemed to know much about working on them was Bike Factory. They were also the shop that had the most high-zoot rigs to look at as well. They might be your best bet in regards to getting some items while you are on the island. Call them and ask for Carl.

#26 ·
Hi Silent - just back from Oahu and Big Island. Had a fantastic time, what a cool place to live and ride! I dealt with Duane at Bike Factory and pre-ordered my CK hubs so they were waiting for me when we arrived. Saved myself loads of money over the UK price and walked back through customs here without any problems so it's all good. As you say Bike Factory and Duane were great to deal with - I also bought a Bike Factory top which will be unique back here in England.

Chers, Bullet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.