The Where To, FAQ.

73K views 98 replies 61 participants last post by  form49b 
#1 ·
Aloha.

Let's hear it for your island.
The shops, the trails.
Share your experiences.

#94 ·
The enduro-race you reference is probably at Timberline Camp - upslope of Makakilo.

From Nanakuli headed west-bound, you could easily ride 30+ miles of pavement/dirt. Pedal the asphalt past Makaha until it runs out at Yokohama Bay/Three Dips; the road continues (dirt) toward Kaena Point. The (dirt) road continues around the northwest-edge of Oahu until it meets pavement (end of the hwy from the north-shore) again.

#93 ·
Nanakuli? Only one I know out that way is peacock flats. Get permit to drive up satellite tracking station road. There's makakilo not too far away.
20 miles on trail in sw Oahu? Don't think that'll happen. Millilani is outlaw but had some distance. Been hearing access is getting loose now. Sunset hill out north is our usual place now. I can rack up 15 miles easy there. Out east there's maunawili demonstration. Wet and technical, that's pretty long. I've known some guys who ride from town, over the Pali, hit the demon trail, then ride back through the south to make a big loop. That's pretty hardcore and the Pali road ride is sketchy.
St. Louis heights in town is often our after work quickie. 40 minute road grind up, 10 minutes trail bomb DH.

#97 ·
I'd rather do peacock flats to kealia then back round Kaena, but that requires getting the permit for two vehicles to drive up satellite tracking road. Bicycles are not permited on that road so you have to drive, although we did outlaw down it once.
SW Oahu is a little confusing description though, that would be more in town/pearl city to me.

#99 ·
Not sure if anyone is reading this, but I'm looking for some advice on Maui. We will stay in Lahaina for a week in January and I'm looking for 1-3 hour rides in the area, just in the morning before other people wake up. I know of the MTB areas on the mountain and have hiked Makawao, would love to ride there but it's not in the cards for this vacation. What I'd like to know is: Is it worth trying to find a gravel bike to rent for riding on the West side, or should I just rent a road bike?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.