Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Aaahhh, I remember Kalepa fondly with all of it's rooty off camber goodness. I also remember always being a gentleman and letting someone else go first (to clear out the crab spiders).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit
    Not sure about the whole getting hurt on roots and rocks thing on the single track on Kauai.
    But, I would say trying to find the fun trail on Kalepa is a pain without a guide. It's a real shame
    the powers that be on Kauai haven't figured out that bike riding is a fun healthy sport that should
    be encouraged instead of made illegal/inaccessible.
    YUP SECOND THAT
    Respect the Aina....Aloha

mtbr member

North SHore SHops and guide

Looks like Raging Isle and Sugar Mill shops aren't renting bikes. I'm from western Colorado and want to ride June mid week middle June. Anyone interested and have a large bike. Could hire as guide out of Waialua too. I can Dh, FR or XC. Prob rather get a xc or freeride loop in since I wont have all my DH gear. I'll be at Sunset so let me know by PM or thread re.

Thanks
    gjmountainbiking.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by R-MTBs
    Looks like Raging Isle and Sugar Mill shops aren't renting bikes. I'm from western Colorado and want to ride June mid week middle June. Anyone interested and have a large bike. Could hire as guide out of Waialua too. I can Dh, FR or XC. Prob rather get a xc or freeride loop in since I wont have all my DH gear. I'll be at Sunset so let me know by PM or thread re.

Thanks

this place is dead. post your questions at www.dhhawaii.com.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol
    this place is dead[/url].
    must be the control freaks
    Last edited by airwreck; 06-13-2010 at 04:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

biking near waikoloa village?

hello all!

i'm going to be in waikoloa village in November, the sig other is attending a conference there so i got boatloads of time on my hands.

i've read through the sticky and it seems my best bet for mtb rentals is at bikeworkskona, which is about an hr away.

anyone have any experience riding closer to waikoloa?

thanks for any intel!

cheers

Puddle Monkey
    Sep 2010

gnarly trails

there are some intense trails at kulani on fridays, but that is on the other side of the island. if you end up on the hilo side of the island, then ask the folks at the Hilo Bike Hub about the friday ride, and they'll tell you where to go

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    bike works just open a shop up in the queen shops in waikaloa. check them out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Kona area trails

Hey all,

Visiting Hawai'i next week, staying up the Kohala Coast about 20 mile form Kona. Checked out Bikeworks, may rent a bike.

So, any trail recommendations? Looking for some singletrack, nothing too gnarly and no 3000-foot climbs! Just a fun place to ride and exercise on vacation.

Thanks!
    BigTex91

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Kauai ride

Hi Guys, I will be in Kauai (Kapaa area) Jan. 4th thru 14th with mountain bike, will be riding every other day. If anybody wants to ride contact me.

Louie
    louiemtb@aol.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    hello all - ill be in maui in a couple of weeks here, thinking about taking the ferry over to molokai as well. anyone have any experience mtn biking there?
    11 Tracer 29 - coming soon
    11 SC Tallboy C
    11 SC Nomad C
    08 Surly Lht

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeis11
    hello all - ill be in maui in a couple of weeks here, thinking about taking the ferry over to molokai as well. anyone have any experience mtn biking there?
    AFAIK, there's not much any more. Molokai Ranch used to have a trail system, but I don't think it's been maintained for years. From what I understand, if you do it be sure to have slime tubes and lots of spares (mega thorniness).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    bike im bringing will be set up with real tubeless, so maybe i could make it out unscathed? ill be sure and ask the lbs when i land on maui too. thanks for the heads up!
    11 SC Tallboy C
    11 SC Nomad C
    08 Surly Lht

yohyatt
    Mar 2009

Trail suggestions for Maui

Hi there,

So as it goes, my girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Maui in April next year, and we are planning on doing our open water test for SCUBA, (2 days), a day or two of hiking, some surfing, and of course, some biking.

Can anyone give me some ideas on where we should ride? Is Poli Poli the best place to go get on some singletrack? Is that crater shuttle run worth it? heard you take a fireroad/pavement down the hill - sounds horrible. I'd like to get on some nice remote singletrack - 10-20 mile ride, and if there are some good shuttles - those are good too!

Is Maui a good island for mt biking - or is there another island that has much better biking, and rentals

Looking for a day or 2 (if warranted) of riding. I guess we are going here as a "real" vacation - so i can't do more than 2 days of riding....

If Maui is a good place for all the things I'm looking to do, whose got the nicest bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thrilled this info is here. can anyone give pro's and con's for rentals around maui? heading over soon and i have done my own web search but tough to know who really delivers. thanks.
    chewy

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    McCulley Bike in honolulu is my favorite. Good service, and they also have fishing stuff there. A great fix shop (also mcCulley) bike right down the road

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    hey all!

its that time of year again, and im headed back to hawaii. this time its to honolulu.

had a pretty fun time riding macao forest last time around, but poi poi was closed due to mudslides.

ill be bringing my own bike in again this year. any trail suggestions for the island of oahu?

thanks!
    11 SC Tallboy C
    11 SC Nomad C
    08 Surly Lht

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeis11 View Post
    hey all!

its that time of year again, and im headed back to hawaii. this time its to honolulu.

had a pretty fun time riding macao forest last time around, but poi poi was closed due to mudslides.

ill be bringing my own bike in again this year. any trail suggestions for the island of oahu?

thanks!
    I don't know who runs this, but MTB Hawaii, a mountain bike community for Hawaii riders has some good info.

As far as trails go, I recommend (not in any order): Aiea Loop trail, PeacockFlats/Kealia Loop and/or Keana point, and St Luis Heights (Waahila Ridge)-for the downhill run. There are a number of others that are equally as good. Be sure to stop by the shops (Bike Factory, The Bike Shop and Mc Cully Bike. Island Triathlon is good too, but they don't really do mountain bikes much anymore).

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeis11 View Post
    hey all!

thanks!
    Are you referring to Makawao Forest and Poli Poli? It's open again (rode there last night) but has lots of loose, dusty sections on the Mamane and Upper Waihouli trails after recent trail work.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by gsoroos View Post
    I don't know who runs this, but MTB Hawaii, a mountain bike community for Hawaii riders has some good info.

As far as trails go, I recommend (not in any order): Aiea Loop trail, PeacockFlats/Kealia Loop and/or Keana point, and St Luis Heights (Waahila Ridge)-for the downhill run. There are a number of others that are equally as good. Be sure to stop by the shops (Bike Factory, The Bike Shop and Mc Cully Bike. Island Triathlon is good too, but they don't really do mountain bikes much anymore).
    I ran into No Bikes signs up at Aiea last week. Did not see those when I was last here in June '11.

mtbr member

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz View Post
    I ran into No Bikes signs up at Aiea last week. Did not see those when I was last here in June '11.
    Oh no! That's sad. One of my all time favorite trails. I even got married at the trailhead.

~~~~~~~~
    MOLOKAI

For those of your who plan to visit the island of Molokai, please stop by and say "HI" to Phillip Kikugawa and the folks at Molokai Bicycles. They offer free drop offs and pickups at Hotel Molokai, Molokai Shores and Kaunakakai Harbor. Airport drop offs and pickups are $20 each run.

His website is: Maui Bike Rental | Molokai Bicycle . Phone is: 808-553-3931 or 808-553-5740. Hours are: Wed 3-6pm and Sat 9-2pm or call him for an appt.

Also check out their YouTube videos at: molokaibicycles's Channel - YouTube to get an idea of the mtb riding and conditions (and "Ted's Crash"-I'm sure we can all relate to this).

LANAI

For those of you who haven't been to Lanai, check out one of the Tri lanai events that can be found at: www.trilani.com

Right now, check out the TriLanai Passport 2012 : 10% discount on entry fees by 2/14/2012

Sign up for all three TriLanai 2012 events at the same time and receive a 10% discount on the entry fee total!! You'll have to do the math yourself because your total will be different if you are a Lanai resident, Hawaii resident, or non-Hawaii resident. Just add up the entry fees for all three events and then take 10% off the total.

Print out the three applications from the TriLanai.com website and send in all three at the same time with your discounted entry fee by 2/14/2012 (Valentine's Day)! See TriLanai.com for details.

For a Hawaii resident, here's the math:

$40 TriLanai 3Hills (50mi bike ride OR ultra marathon)

$25 TriLanai City 21K/10K/5K & Keiki Run

$60 TriLanai Triathlon

$125 Total

-$12.50 10% TriLanai Passport discount

$112.50 for all 3 TriLanai 2012 Events!

That's ridiculously cheap! Come TriLanai 2012!

Also the Four Seasons Resort rents bikes to guests. They use West Maui Cycles for repairs and replacements so it should all be good.

Lanai Eco Adventures rents out mountain bikes. Several folks have used their bikes for the triathlon. Check out Lanai Eco Tourism Center Lanai's adventure Center, Lanai Jeep Rentals, Lania Snorkel Tours and kayak Adventures for more information.

Jeremiah Littlepage (jermlittlep@hotmail.com) also provides bike tours and repairs for folks. His contact number is: 804-304-8075

mtbr member
    I found this link while searching around for some Oahu riding, has some good info with directions to trailheads. . Trails

Not doing enough research beforehand and having the hassle of renting a car to get somewhere (riding alone to top it off) I am going to hit this place up - Bike Hawaii - Explore Oahu with our nature guides on a Guided Eco Adventure from the Rainforest to the Reef while Hiking, Biking, Kayaking, Sailing and Snorkeling, Nature Tours of hidden Oahu, Mountain Bike trails, books, maps, eco tours, photos, sin

Hopefully this helps someone and you dont wait till day 3 of your 7 day vacation to try and find something lol.
    Pricey as far as Im concerned, but all the reviews are positive and say its worth it.

JRA
    Quote Originally Posted by fatty los View Post
    I found this link while searching around for some Oahu riding, has some good info with directions to trailheads. . Trails

Not doing enough research beforehand and having the hassle of renting a car to get somewhere (riding alone to top it off) I am going to hit this place up - Bike Hawaii - Explore Oahu with our nature guides on a Guided Eco Adventure from the Rainforest to the Reef while Hiking, Biking, Kayaking, Sailing and Snorkeling, Nature Tours of hidden Oahu, Mountain Bike trails, books, maps, eco tours, photos, sin

Hopefully this helps someone and you dont wait till day 3 of your 7 day vacation to try and find something lol.
    Pricey as far as Im concerned, but all the reviews are positive and say its worth it.
    We (me and the wife) have done this Bike Hawaii tour. It was a good way to get some pedaling in while on Oahu. We did it for the convenience--not having to rent a car and bikes then having to find some trails. They pick you up and supply pretty much everything you need, plus lunch.

Understand, though, it is a tour. You can have noobs and a family with kids in your group (we had both) and this can slow things down. Although, we were coming off our off-season and going from cold temps at home to 80's and humidity so some of the rest breaks were appreciated.

The tour was combination of double-track, some muddy ST and trail blazing through the pastures. The ride is through the Ka'a'awa valley. They have used this area for a lot of movie sets (think Jurassic Park) so there are a bunch of abandoned movie sets to keep things interesting (I had fun hucking on the dinosaur footprints). Riding through the cow pastures trying to avoid the bulls (wild boars too) kept our attention. I think it was 2- 2 and a half hours of riding.

Bring a camera, the scenery is great. I agree, the tour was pricey.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Wailuku Trail - Maui

Can anybody tell me anything about the Wailuku Trail? I 'll be on Maui and looking to get some real mountain biking in. I don't mind riding up the hill as long as there is some decent downhill payoff.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast