Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 97 of 97
  1. #51
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,888
    Aaahhh, I remember Kalepa fondly with all of it's rooty off camber goodness. I also remember always being a gentleman and letting someone else go first (to clear out the crab spiders).

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KAHAIKAPU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit
    Not sure about the whole getting hurt on roots and rocks thing on the single track on Kauai.
    But, I would say trying to find the fun trail on Kalepa is a pain without a guide. It's a real shame
    the powers that be on Kauai haven't figured out that bike riding is a fun healthy sport that should
    be encouraged instead of made illegal/inaccessible.
    YUP SECOND THAT
    Respect the Aina....Aloha

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R-MTBs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    42

    North SHore SHops and guide

    Looks like Raging Isle and Sugar Mill shops aren't renting bikes. I'm from western Colorado and want to ride June mid week middle June. Anyone interested and have a large bike. Could hire as guide out of Waialua too. I can Dh, FR or XC. Prob rather get a xc or freeride loop in since I wont have all my DH gear. I'll be at Sunset so let me know by PM or thread re.

    Thanks
    gjmountainbiking.com

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by R-MTBs
    Looks like Raging Isle and Sugar Mill shops aren't renting bikes. I'm from western Colorado and want to ride June mid week middle June. Anyone interested and have a large bike. Could hire as guide out of Waialua too. I can Dh, FR or XC. Prob rather get a xc or freeride loop in since I wont have all my DH gear. I'll be at Sunset so let me know by PM or thread re.

    Thanks

    this place is dead. post your questions at www.dhhawaii.com.

  5. #55
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol
    this place is dead[/url].
    must be the control freaks
    Last edited by airwreck; 06-13-2010 at 04:02 PM.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    197

    biking near waikoloa village?

    hello all!

    i'm going to be in waikoloa village in November, the sig other is attending a conference there so i got boatloads of time on my hands.

    i've read through the sticky and it seems my best bet for mtb rentals is at bikeworkskona, which is about an hr away.

    anyone have any experience riding closer to waikoloa?

    thanks for any intel!

    cheers

  7. #57
    Puddle Monkey
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    15

    gnarly trails

    there are some intense trails at kulani on fridays, but that is on the other side of the island. if you end up on the hilo side of the island, then ask the folks at the Hilo Bike Hub about the friday ride, and they'll tell you where to go

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2
    bike works just open a shop up in the queen shops in waikaloa. check them out.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    138

    Kona area trails

    Hey all,

    Visiting Hawai'i next week, staying up the Kohala Coast about 20 mile form Kona. Checked out Bikeworks, may rent a bike.

    So, any trail recommendations? Looking for some singletrack, nothing too gnarly and no 3000-foot climbs! Just a fun place to ride and exercise on vacation.

    Thanks!
    BigTex91

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6

    Kauai ride

    Hi Guys, I will be in Kauai (Kapaa area) Jan. 4th thru 14th with mountain bike, will be riding every other day. If anybody wants to ride contact me.

    Louie
    louiemtb@aol.com

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    306
    hello all - ill be in maui in a couple of weeks here, thinking about taking the ferry over to molokai as well. anyone have any experience mtn biking there?
    Intense Carbine C
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Ventana El Comandante
    Borealis Yampa
    9:Zero:7 Al Hardtail
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  12. #62
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeis11
    hello all - ill be in maui in a couple of weeks here, thinking about taking the ferry over to molokai as well. anyone have any experience mtn biking there?
    AFAIK, there's not much any more. Molokai Ranch used to have a trail system, but I don't think it's been maintained for years. From what I understand, if you do it be sure to have slime tubes and lots of spares (mega thorniness).

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    306
    bike im bringing will be set up with real tubeless, so maybe i could make it out unscathed? ill be sure and ask the lbs when i land on maui too. thanks for the heads up!
    Intense Carbine C
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Ventana El Comandante
    Borealis Yampa
    9:Zero:7 Al Hardtail
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  14. #64
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    378

    Trail suggestions for Maui

    Hi there,

    So as it goes, my girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Maui in April next year, and we are planning on doing our open water test for SCUBA, (2 days), a day or two of hiking, some surfing, and of course, some biking.

    Can anyone give me some ideas on where we should ride? Is Poli Poli the best place to go get on some singletrack? Is that crater shuttle run worth it? heard you take a fireroad/pavement down the hill - sounds horrible. I'd like to get on some nice remote singletrack - 10-20 mile ride, and if there are some good shuttles - those are good too!

    Is Maui a good island for mt biking - or is there another island that has much better biking, and rentals

    Looking for a day or 2 (if warranted) of riding. I guess we are going here as a "real" vacation - so i can't do more than 2 days of riding....

    If Maui is a good place for all the things I'm looking to do, whose got the nicest bikes?

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5
    thrilled this info is here. can anyone give pro's and con's for rentals around maui? heading over soon and i have done my own web search but tough to know who really delivers. thanks.
    chewy

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8
    McCulley Bike in honolulu is my favorite. Good service, and they also have fishing stuff there. A great fix shop (also mcCulley) bike right down the road

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    306
    hey all!

    its that time of year again, and im headed back to hawaii. this time its to honolulu.

    had a pretty fun time riding macao forest last time around, but poi poi was closed due to mudslides.

    ill be bringing my own bike in again this year. any trail suggestions for the island of oahu?

    thanks!
    Intense Carbine C
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Ventana El Comandante
    Borealis Yampa
    9:Zero:7 Al Hardtail
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gsoroos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeis11 View Post
    hey all!

    its that time of year again, and im headed back to hawaii. this time its to honolulu.

    had a pretty fun time riding macao forest last time around, but poi poi was closed due to mudslides.

    ill be bringing my own bike in again this year. any trail suggestions for the island of oahu?

    thanks!
    I don't know who runs this, but MTB Hawaii, a mountain bike community for Hawaii riders has some good info.

    As far as trails go, I recommend (not in any order): Aiea Loop trail, PeacockFlats/Kealia Loop and/or Keana point, and St Luis Heights (Waahila Ridge)-for the downhill run. There are a number of others that are equally as good. Be sure to stop by the shops (Bike Factory, The Bike Shop and Mc Cully Bike. Island Triathlon is good too, but they don't really do mountain bikes much anymore).

  19. #69
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeis11 View Post
    hey all!

    its that time of year again, and im headed back to hawaii. this time its to honolulu.

    had a pretty fun time riding macao forest last time around, but poi poi was closed due to mudslides.

    ill be bringing my own bike in again this year. any trail suggestions for the island of oahu?

    thanks!
    Are you referring to Makawao Forest and Poli Poli? It's open again (rode there last night) but has lots of loose, dusty sections on the Mamane and Upper Waihouli trails after recent trail work.

  20. #70
    Hairshirt Rider
    Reputation: Loudpawlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,858
    Quote Originally Posted by gsoroos View Post
    I don't know who runs this, but MTB Hawaii, a mountain bike community for Hawaii riders has some good info.

    As far as trails go, I recommend (not in any order): Aiea Loop trail, PeacockFlats/Kealia Loop and/or Keana point, and St Luis Heights (Waahila Ridge)-for the downhill run. There are a number of others that are equally as good. Be sure to stop by the shops (Bike Factory, The Bike Shop and Mc Cully Bike. Island Triathlon is good too, but they don't really do mountain bikes much anymore).
    I ran into No Bikes signs up at Aiea last week. Did not see those when I was last here in June '11.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gsoroos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    158

    Upset

    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz View Post
    I ran into No Bikes signs up at Aiea last week. Did not see those when I was last here in June '11.
    Oh no! That's sad. One of my all time favorite trails. I even got married at the trailhead.

  22. #72
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,873
    MOLOKAI

    For those of your who plan to visit the island of Molokai, please stop by and say "HI" to Phillip Kikugawa and the folks at Molokai Bicycles. They offer free drop offs and pickups at Hotel Molokai, Molokai Shores and Kaunakakai Harbor. Airport drop offs and pickups are $20 each run.



    His website is: Maui Bike Rental | Molokai Bicycle . Phone is: 808-553-3931 or 808-553-5740. Hours are: Wed 3-6pm and Sat 9-2pm or call him for an appt.



    Also check out their YouTube videos at: molokaibicycles's Channel - YouTube to get an idea of the mtb riding and conditions (and "Ted's Crash"-I'm sure we can all relate to this).



    LANAI

    For those of you who haven't been to Lanai, check out one of the Tri lanai events that can be found at: www.trilani.com



    Right now, check out the TriLanai Passport 2012 : 10% discount on entry fees by 2/14/2012



    Sign up for all three TriLanai 2012 events at the same time and receive a 10% discount on the entry fee total!! You'll have to do the math yourself because your total will be different if you are a Lanai resident, Hawaii resident, or non-Hawaii resident. Just add up the entry fees for all three events and then take 10% off the total.



    Print out the three applications from the TriLanai.com website and send in all three at the same time with your discounted entry fee by 2/14/2012 (Valentine's Day)! See TriLanai.com for details.



    For a Hawaii resident, here's the math:

    $40 TriLanai 3Hills (50mi bike ride OR ultra marathon)

    $25 TriLanai City 21K/10K/5K & Keiki Run

    $60 TriLanai Triathlon

    $125 Total

    -$12.50 10% TriLanai Passport discount

    $112.50 for all 3 TriLanai 2012 Events!



    That's ridiculously cheap! Come TriLanai 2012!



    Also the Four Seasons Resort rents bikes to guests. They use West Maui Cycles for repairs and replacements so it should all be good.



    Lanai Eco Adventures rents out mountain bikes. Several folks have used their bikes for the triathlon. Check out Lanai Eco Tourism Center Lanai's adventure Center, Lanai Jeep Rentals, Lania Snorkel Tours and kayak Adventures for more information.



    Jeremiah Littlepage (jermlittlep@hotmail.com) also provides bike tours and repairs for folks. His contact number is: 804-304-8075

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fatty los's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    97
    I found this link while searching around for some Oahu riding, has some good info with directions to trailheads. . Trails

    Not doing enough research beforehand and having the hassle of renting a car to get somewhere (riding alone to top it off) I am going to hit this place up - Bike Hawaii - Explore Oahu with our nature guides on a Guided Eco Adventure from the Rainforest to the Reef while Hiking, Biking, Kayaking, Sailing and Snorkeling, Nature Tours of hidden Oahu, Mountain Bike trails, books, maps, eco tours, photos, sin

    Hopefully this helps someone and you dont wait till day 3 of your 7 day vacation to try and find something lol.
    Pricey as far as Im concerned, but all the reviews are positive and say its worth it.

  24. #74
    JRA
    Reputation: BigRuckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by fatty los View Post
    I found this link while searching around for some Oahu riding, has some good info with directions to trailheads. . Trails

    Not doing enough research beforehand and having the hassle of renting a car to get somewhere (riding alone to top it off) I am going to hit this place up - Bike Hawaii - Explore Oahu with our nature guides on a Guided Eco Adventure from the Rainforest to the Reef while Hiking, Biking, Kayaking, Sailing and Snorkeling, Nature Tours of hidden Oahu, Mountain Bike trails, books, maps, eco tours, photos, sin

    Hopefully this helps someone and you dont wait till day 3 of your 7 day vacation to try and find something lol.
    Pricey as far as Im concerned, but all the reviews are positive and say its worth it.
    We (me and the wife) have done this Bike Hawaii tour. It was a good way to get some pedaling in while on Oahu. We did it for the convenience--not having to rent a car and bikes then having to find some trails. They pick you up and supply pretty much everything you need, plus lunch.

    Understand, though, it is a tour. You can have noobs and a family with kids in your group (we had both) and this can slow things down. Although, we were coming off our off-season and going from cold temps at home to 80's and humidity so some of the rest breaks were appreciated.

    The tour was combination of double-track, some muddy ST and trail blazing through the pastures. The ride is through the Ka'a'awa valley. They have used this area for a lot of movie sets (think Jurassic Park) so there are a bunch of abandoned movie sets to keep things interesting (I had fun hucking on the dinosaur footprints). Riding through the cow pastures trying to avoid the bulls (wild boars too) kept our attention. I think it was 2- 2 and a half hours of riding.

    Bring a camera, the scenery is great. I agree, the tour was pricey.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    22

    Wailuku Trail - Maui

    Can anybody tell me anything about the Wailuku Trail? I 'll be on Maui and looking to get some real mountain biking in. I don't mind riding up the hill as long as there is some decent downhill payoff.

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by donjc451 View Post
    Can anybody tell me anything about the Wailuku Trail? I 'll be on Maui and looking to get some real mountain biking in. I don't mind riding up the hill as long as there is some decent downhill payoff.
    Try sending "whodaphuck" a pm. Pretty sure he is on Maui. He's about 7 posts up^

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    11
    Aloha,

    I will be in Oahu this nov 14-20th and Im trying to find a bike rental place and trails to ride.. any recommendations?

    thanks
    Mike

  28. #78
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by donjc451 View Post
    Can anybody tell me anything about the Wailuku Trail? I 'll be on Maui and looking to get some real mountain biking in. I don't mind riding up the hill as long as there is some decent downhill payoff.
    Never heard of that trail...don't think it exists. There are a few private property trails near Wailuku (Mac Nuts e.g.) but no public access trails.

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    632
    Quote Originally Posted by ae86coupe View Post
    Aloha,

    I will be in Oahu this nov 14-20th and Im trying to find a bike rental place and trails to ride.. any recommendations?

    thanks
    Mike
    Home :: Not just any bike shop.... THE BIKE SHOP ::

  30. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4
    Hello Forum,

    I'm looking to start riding religiously about 4 times a week and have very little experience past road biking as a child for a about 7 miles to a girlfriends house late at night.

    I got a crappy bike from the PX on schofield and imediately realized I love to ride, legs in pain... Wind... Tired as hell... I enjoyed it... every second of just riding around post.

    Anyone know a good beginer trail? I don't mind getting my ass kicked and if I have a trail to ride, I'll finish it... Cant say when but I'll get it done

  31. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    322

    1st choice for beginners

    And a lot of fun even if you are not a beginner.... Maunawili Ditch Trail between Kailua and waimanalo

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1
    Anybody wants to go mountain biking? I live on Oahu....

  33. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    146
    newb on oahu here and just started recently. rode the bike path for some type of workout and also tried kaena point. took royal summit and loved it. now it's my sort of regular spot. haven't gone to the north shore and windward side trails. royal summit is the closest too so that plays a big part. can't really offer advice or arrange rides but i'll gladly join anyone mtb'ing.
    Last edited by db_8; 11-30-2012 at 10:37 PM.

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBKauai View Post
    Rent bikes here: Kauai Cycle and Tour or here: Outfitters Kauai

    Kauai trail reviews:
    Alexander Reservoir
    Kalepa Ridge
    Kealia Trails
    Kuamoo/Nounou
    Moalepe
    Kuilau Ridge (connects with Moalepe)
    Powerline Trail

    Enjoy.
    Going to be in Kauai Feb to march for a couple weeks. Would love to go riding. Are these trails still ride able? Most of the reviews are from several years ago... Anything new or any challenging trails I could check out?
    Check out my riding blog:

    http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DerrickT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    331
    Does anyone have detailed maps of MTB trails in Maui, especially Makawao Forest? I've done the usual searching on Strava, Google etc...

  36. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrickT View Post
    Does anyone have detailed maps of MTB trails in Maui, especially Makawao Forest? I've done the usual searching on Strava, Google etc...
    Aloha, Have you tried the trail maps posted on West Maui Cycles site?
    westmauicycles.com/makawao-forest-bike-trails-maui-map/

    or, the old county bike map may be useful for you, too.
    westmauicycles.com/Maui-County-Bicycle-Map/

  37. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Hi Silent - just back from Oahu and Big Island. Had a fantastic time, what a cool place to live and ride!
    Chers, Bullet.
    hey man, what rides did you do on Oahu? any ones you'd recommend for this time of the year? (I'm headed there next week)

  38. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Hi Silent - just back from Oahu and Big Island. Had a fantastic time, what a cool place to live and ride!
    Chers, Bullet.
    hey man, what rides did you do on Oahu? any ones you'd recommend for this time of the year? (I'm headed there next week)

  39. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by db_8 View Post
    newb on oahu here and just started recently. rode the bike path for some type of workout and also tried kaena point. took royal summit and loved it. now it's my sort of regular spot. haven't gone to the north shore and windward side trails. royal summit is the closest too so that plays a big part. can't really offer advice or arrange rides but i'll gladly join anyone mtb'ing.
    hey man, I'll be on Oahu next week, down to do some riding. PM me and lets try to coordinate something.

  40. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by erics4569 View Post
    hey man, I'll be on Oahu next week, down to do some riding. PM me and lets try to coordinate something.
    oh crap... lost my subscription to this thread. sorry man...

  41. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1
    Heading to Kauai over Christmas. How is the riding that time of year? Any trail recommendations that are easy to find and non-dangerous that time of year?

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tin_Cup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    209
    bump...
    I'll be headed out to Oahu from Colorado in July, would love some beta on trails near Nanakuli...it appears there was/is an Enduro race near there? Any other recommendations on a half day, 30 mile ride in southwest Oahu? Mahalo!

  43. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    479
    Nanakuli? Only one I know out that way is peacock flats. Get permit to drive up satellite tracking station road. There's makakilo not too far away.
    20 miles on trail in sw Oahu? Don't think that'll happen. Millilani is outlaw but had some distance. Been hearing access is getting loose now. Sunset hill out north is our usual place now. I can rack up 15 miles easy there. Out east there's maunawili demonstration. Wet and technical, that's pretty long. I've known some guys who ride from town, over the Pali, hit the demon trail, then ride back through the south to make a big loop. That's pretty hardcore and the Pali road ride is sketchy.
    St. Louis heights in town is often our after work quickie. 40 minute road grind up, 10 minutes trail bomb DH.

  44. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Cup View Post
    bump...
    I'll be headed out to Oahu from Colorado in July, would love some beta on trails near Nanakuli...it appears there was/is an Enduro race near there? Any other recommendations on a half day, 30 mile ride in southwest Oahu? Mahalo!
    The enduro-race you reference is probably at Timberline Camp - upslope of Makakilo.

    From Nanakuli headed west-bound, you could easily ride 30+ miles of pavement/dirt. Pedal the asphalt past Makaha until it runs out at Yokohama Bay/Three Dips; the road continues (dirt) toward Kaena Point. The (dirt) road continues around the northwest-edge of Oahu until it meets pavement (end of the hwy from the north-shore) again.
    "...emptybe_er's just a nice-guy."

  45. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    479
    Ugh, Kaena is prob one of my least favorite trailrides on Oahu. Its shoreline trail, sandy, hot. The scenic view of ocean is nice, but I prefer trails in the mountains.

  46. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Ugh, Kaena is prob one of my least favorite trailrides on Oahu. Its shoreline trail, sandy, hot. The scenic view of ocean is nice, but I prefer trails in the mountains.
    Half-day; 30-mile ride; near Nanakuli.
    "...emptybe_er's just a nice-guy."

  47. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    479
    I'd rather do peacock flats to kealia then back round Kaena, but that requires getting the permit for two vehicles to drive up satellite tracking road. Bicycles are not permited on that road so you have to drive, although we did outlaw down it once.
    SW Oahu is a little confusing description though, that would be more in town/pearl city to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •