Thread: Visiting Oahu

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Visiting Oahu

Hi all,

I am visiting From Oz for a few weeks and will be staying on Oahu. I am keen to hire a bike and get out and see what the local trails have to offer. What are the best local shops to hire decent bikes from and what are the local trail suggestions? Would be interested in a big grind up a mountain if it rewards with good views and nice decent (preferrably single track, nothing too vertical) if such a ride exists or some nice xc trails. I am here now and will be in town until about the 1 Nov.

Hoping to get out and see some of you on the trails.

I do what Spicoli says
    Jan 2007
    "The Bike Shop" would rent the best bike. Check out MTB Hawaii, a mountain bike community for Hawaii riders for trail info

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Heading out to Oahu in mid december; Is The Bike Shop the only outfit in town for rentals? Are there any quality guidebooks/maps guides?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    no, Boca Hawaii and some time ago, island triathlon and bikes rented as well. What type of bike are you trying to rent? And for what type of riding? Yes, there is a book call Mountain bike Hawaii by John Alford.

But all the good secrete stuffs are not in that book though. Need to really find some locals to take you.

Do realize that hawaii trails are often narrow, right next to cliffs and fill with east coast style roots that are wet and slippery. There are a few exceptions that are more mainland style fireroad trails. If you are staying in Waikiki like most tourist, I recommend getting an AM/DH bike and ride St Louis height all day long. If you dont have a car, public bus with bike racks are available every hour at the base. This place is next to University of Hawaii and within 5 miles of the tourist stuff. Good, but shorter XC loops at the top if DH is not your thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    hey man, how did your trip go? any sweet rides you'd recommend? I'll be going to Oahu for 5 days at the end of the month and looking for some tips. thinking of staying around kailua, will probably rent a small car to get around in

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey, anyone have any updates from their trips??
    Im heading there from Alaska next month, and not a lot of riding going on up here the last few months, so i am interested in either bringing my bike down or renting one for a couple of days while there.
    Looks like St. Louis, right outside of HNL is pretty great, and the motocross up on North Shore looks pretty awesome too...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    St. Louis Height is not next to HNL. It is however, right next to University of Hawaii. You will exit out from the professor housing area.

If you have a nice AM/DH bike, then bring your own as it likely give you more confidence than renting and hitting the bigger features. Try to see if you can get hook up to ride the Makakilo Downhill race course or Royal Summit at Aiea.

As a tourist, do take it easy though. Not worth the hospital trip and have to rest in the hotel.

Oh, one last place, Kualoa Ranch. Need to pay to ride here, former XC/DH race course here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I rode royal summit a few times when i was there at xmas,i was staying in Aiea.I would ride from the house to there.I rented a stumpjumper elite from the local bike shop,Sound bunch of guys,it was like $80 dollars a day rental.I enjoyed royal summit,it was slippy when i was there,rained a lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Planning a family vacation to Hawaii next December 2014/January 2016. We've been going to Maui. I would go riding with my son while others surfed. I'm looking for riding (cc/am/dh) and where to rent a house that would be close to riding (30 minutes or less) and the beach. We would go anywhere in Hawaii although we're looking at Oahu (never been there) and read a little about riding there. Can anyone help me?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cakewalk907 View Post
    Planning a family vacation to Hawaii next December 2014/January 2016. We've been going to Maui. I would go riding with my son while others surfed. I'm looking for riding (cc/am/dh) and where to rent a house that would be close to riding (30 minutes or less) and the beach. We would go anywhere in Hawaii although we're looking at Oahu (never been there) and read a little about riding there. Can anyone help me?
    Not sure what surf condition is like, but check out the north shore town of Haleiwa. Great beaches, great trails

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thanks...where are the trails?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Kaeina point, peacok flat at mokuleia, boyscout camp/ pupukea, Kahuku motocross track. Google them relative to the town of haleiwa to see if you think they are close enough for u

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    found this:

http://www.mtbhawaii.com/traildirectory

thank you so much