mtbr member

Visiting Maui this Summer...

...Rode the East and West loop of Makawao Forest Reserve back in 2010. Is this the best spot to ride in Maui? I thought I read about another spot somewhere above Lahaina in Decline Magazine? Any other recommendations? How about a bike shop to rent a full suspension mountain bike? Any help would be much appreciated. Mahalo.

mtbr member
    Makawao Forest Reserve is definitely one of the go-to riding spots here, being fun and accessible (i.e. legal), albeit somewhat lacking in trail lengths. Many "outlaw" trails above Lahaina, with a fair bit of hot climbing involved to get to them. Most of them made by dirt bikes, so generally more man-made or lack of maintenance technical features like ruts or foliage. Definitely some fun stuff to be had, though. Check in with a guy named Moose at West Maui Cycles for equipment and the current lowdown on West side (Lahaina) riding. Also check out the Maui Mountain Bike Coalition facebook page for upcoming events and trail info. Lots of exciting stuff happening as far as expanding/creating trails on Maui....a bunch of it starting this Summer at Makawao. Aloha.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check-in with West Maui Cycles as I have not been there before, and the Maui Mountain Bike Coalition. I don't mind climbing, so anywhere is game for me, though I usually stay away from private land. The last time I visited, I thought I remembered the guy at the bike shop telling me there was some trails below Makawao, not part of the East-West loop???