Thread: trip to Hawaii

mtbr member

trip to Hawaii

I know it is a long way off,but I'm planning a trip to Maui in Oct-Nov of 2010 nd plan on doing some road biking and mt biking. I would like to know if there are any good XC trails or DH trails and would like to hook up with someone for a giude and a few beers afterward?
    Freeridings not a crime

mtbr member
    Yeah...that is a ways off.

The 2 main public trail areas are Poli Poli State Park, and Makawao State Forest. Both offer a mixture of mellow to advanced singletrack, with Poli Poli having more technical offerings. Lots of good, technical, outlaw trails exist, but most require some major climbing in hot, humid conditions to get to. October offers some of the most brutal conditions here in terms of stifling heat.....the Xterra world championships are held here each year at the end of Oct for just that reason. Plenty of riding to be had here for the serious rider, but be prepared, we're on an island.....nothing's flat.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up and ,I'm looking forward to riding there and hope we can hook up for a ride.
    Freeridings not a crime

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Betarad

The 2 main public trail areas are Poli Poli State Park, and Makawao State Forest. Both offer a mixture of mellow to advanced singletrack, with Poli Poli having more technical offerings. Lots of good, technical, outlaw trails exist, but most require some major climbing in hot, humid conditions to get to. October offers some of the most brutal conditions here in terms of stifling heat.....the Xterra world championships are held here each year at the end of Oct for just that reason. Plenty of riding to be had here for the serious rider, but be prepared, we're on an island.....nothing's flat.

Im gonna be in Maui next week and would love to ride. I plan to rent a roscoe from a bike shop. Any suggestions on how to get to these places? Or a good way to get to the top of the mountaint without riding up? Thanks Pat

mtbr member
    Crater Cycles is the LBS here that specializes in more of the gravity scene....I think they do some shuttling. I'm more of a "charge up the hill" for an hour, then hit some sweet singletrack down kind of rider, so I'm not really familiar with how to avoid the climb up.

A guy who goes by "Moose" at West Maui Cycles (my LBS of choice) is also into more of the downhill stuff, you might want to drop in there.

I'd offer to show you Makawao State Forest Reserve - probably your best bet for avoiding real nasty climbing, but with some pretty cool options going back down - but unfortunately I'm off Island all of next week.

Note: the weather's been great here, nice and sunny, but we're in the middle of a cold-spell....it got down to a high of low 70's yesterday Brrrrr. Don't just bring tank tops, throw in a few t-shirts too!

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Betarad

I would second the Makawao trails. Fun, fast riding. Nothing too technical. It's a great area if you like to let it roll. Keep on eye out on the corners if the leaves are on the ground because you can get a little carried away with speed based on how the trails flow. Trails go back and forth between different types of terrain. Do a loop one way, then when done, turn around and do it backwards to get two different downhill runs back to the trailhead.

If you ride Poli Poli, there is one trail linking a higher trailhead to the lower area that is marked as a mountain bike trail (sorry, can't remember the name), but resulted in about 3 hours of carrying our bikes over completely unrideable (no matter what your skill level is) terrain. Reports from others that took another trail were that it was a lot better in other areas.