Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trip to Big Island, want to rent DH/AM rig

So i was reading the FAQ and couldn't find a definitive answer so thought i would ask.

I am planning a trip to Kailua-Kona in May and i'd like to find somewhere in the area to rent a DH or AM rig... Also don't really want to pedal so can anyone suggest a tour company or bike shop that shuttles as well?
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Aloha,

Live here on the Big Island. I am not aware of anyone (shop, otherwise) that rents DH or AM rig. The closest you'll find is Bikeworks in Kona.

Regarding no pedaling kind of down hill tours, I don't know of any, all the rides I know of require some serious technical climbing. Best bet maybe look up Mauna Kea Mountain Bike. That guys does mountain bike tours etc and he maybe able to tailor something to fit your needs.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Aloha,

Live here on the Big Island. I am not aware of anyone (shop, otherwise) that rents DH or AM rig. The closest you'll find is Bikeworks in Kona.

Regarding no pedaling kind of down hill tours, I don't know of any, all the rides I know of require some serious technical climbing. Best bet maybe look up Mauna Kea Mountain Bike. That guys does mountain bike tours etc and he maybe able to tailor something to fit your needs.

Good luck.
    awesome thanks for pointing me in the right direction.... Is there not a lot of DH or AM riding on the Big Island or is there just not a place to rent?
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    on the big island there are not a lot of places o ride DH/AM things as gmats mentioned there are more technical climbs if anything. rental wise Bike works is the best bet.

mtbr member
    We actually ran into GMats up on a trail on the big island. Rent from Bike Works in Kona, good selection. They have a shop further north at the Queens Court, but only rent road bike there. Reserve online before you go- lucky we did - they were sold out for walk up rentals when we were there in January.

Great trail about 1.5 hours from Kona.

Have fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahtboy View Post
    We actually ran into GMats up on a trail on the big island. Rent from Bike Works in Kona, good selection. They have a shop further north at the Queens Court, but only rent road bike there. Reserve online before you go- lucky we did - they were sold out for walk up rentals when we were there in January.

Great trail about 1.5 hours from Kona.

Have fun
    What trail are you referring to? Kalopa State Park near Honokaa, by chance? I've heard that's nice but haven't been over there to check it out yet. I've been in the cloud forest preserve above Kaloko which has a fun but short little single track, but feel like I've got to be missing out on some hidden gems.... I really need to get some guidance so I don't "waste" all my time at Pinetrees next visit... ha ha

mtbr member
    Yes, we biked Kalopa. It's a great trail. You climb up the middle, then cirlce back down left or right. Right - less technical, left - more technical. We demo'd a couple of bikes, so we each took the bikes both ways (4 loops). It took us about 45 minutes to complete a loop. Get in touch with Gmats before you go, he lives close by and seems to bike there often.

We also did the night Manta Dive - great time!

Have fun,

Ratboy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    What trail are you referring to? Kalopa State Park near Honokaa, by chance? I've heard that's nice but haven't been over there to check it out yet. I've been in the cloud forest preserve above Kaloko which has a fun but short little single track, but feel like I've got to be missing out on some hidden gems.... I really need to get some guidance so I don't "waste" all my time at Pinetrees next visit... ha ha
    Yup, some good technical trails up there. Certainly one of the places that has some pretty good stuff but requires local knowledge and some serious steep ups and downs and some pretty technical slippery rock crawling riding.

Kalopa's a great ride because all the climbs are rideable and than all the descending is just fun, fun fun.

Formerly Empty Beer
    Aloha,

I'll be in Kona at the end of march. I'm renting a 29er hard tail from Bike Works (same style as I have now). I hope it's suited for the type of trails you have. I consider myself an intermediate to advanced XC rider.

Bike Works has the Kaloko/Hao St MTB trail link on their website. Do you know where I can find links or maps to some of these other trails? Maybe Bike Works knows; I'll ask them.

On a side note, I'll be sharing a house with the national amateur road bike champion (45 year old age group). He's going to be doing some serious training there, but he's taking a easy rest day on the 31st. I'm renting a road bike to try and keep up with him on that day. I've never even been on a road bike. Pray for me
    it's good to see your back

mtbr member
    The guys at Bike Works were very helpful to me with maps and some advice...apparently the owner is the mountain biker of the group and one of them suggested I talk with him but I never had the chance.

mtbr member
    Aloha,

So sorry to be so late replying back here. Backpeddler, I'll be around the next couple of weekends, I can meet you up at Kalopa State park for some trail riding. I just got done clearing out a number of trees that fell the last couple of weeks with the storms we've had. Best time to ride up there is usually earlier in the a.m. as often afternoon fog/mist can roll in. Just let me know what day and time you can be up there and I'll meet you up there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    hey gmats, thanks for doing the trail clearing we just went up there this past weekend.. the poor jeep trail got it though with that big log..

we tried what you guys did. up the jeep then down perimeter trail that was fun except for the sharp turn after the drop.

were you guys out there this past sunday?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trdspectacoma View Post
    hey gmats, thanks for doing the trail clearing we just went up there this past weekend.. the poor jeep trail got it though with that big log..

we tried what you guys did. up the jeep then down perimeter trail that was fun except for the sharp turn after the drop.

were you guys out there this past sunday?
    Howzit!!

You're welcome. I was up there on Saturday. I spent about 4 hours on the jeep trail and clockwise perimeter trail. I cleared out all the downed trees except for the BIG crash on the middle jeep trail. For now, I created a bypass around the big tree so the trail is totally rideable straight up and around the perimeter trail. Some time I'll have to head up and clear out Blue Gum and the Gulch trail.

Which sharp turn after the drop you talking about?

I'm thinking I will probably be back out there to ride on Saturday a.m. I have a friend who'll be here from Kona and wanted to ride. Any chance you'll be out there? If we had a bigger group, it'd be more fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Blue Gum is doing alright made it through there kind of moved things while riding there. Gulch trail by the turn off o Blue gum looked a little bad but there were people walking.

Sharp turn was kind of when you are coming near the pasture on the left. still towards the top section. it was about a 2 ft drop but had a left turn right after with a tree next to the drop. I think I probably took the wrong line and took the drop straight instead of cut next to the tree.

all in all was fun. I will check with the other guys but I think we might stay on this side and try kulani. but if not have a safe and fun ride

mtbr member
    Blue Gum is doing alright made it through there kind of moved things while riding there. Gulch trail by the turn off o Blue gum looked a little bad but there were people walking.
    OK, will ride there this weekend and have a look. I can't remember what the trees look like (that were down) but will get to them eventually.

Sharp turn was kind of when you are coming near the pasture on the left. still towards the top section. it was about a 2 ft drop but had a left turn right after with a tree next to the drop. I think I probably took the wrong line and took the drop straight instead of cut next to the tree.
    Still can't picture it. Was it riding around a BIG tree with a drop off right on the other side?

Regarding Kulani, some day yes, I need to get back out there. Been kinda tough convincing the crew here and on the Kona side to make the trek there even though I really like riding those trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yup now I can picture it it was a really fat and big tree. ill check the footage..

you should come over to Kulani. still as technical as ever. just let us know as I need more practice in there and everywhere

mtbr member
    Yup now I can picture it it was a really fat and big tree. ill check the footage..

you should come over to Kulani. still as technical as ever. just let us know as I need more practice in there and everywhere
    I think I know where that is, not quite at the top but a little ways down.

I went back up with the chainsaw this afternoon. The BIG tree is now gone but the bypass is still sweet. I fixed the BIG log so it can be ridden over going up or down.

I also took a trip through Blue Gum, cut out all the bigger trees that were blocking the trail. So now Blue Gum is clear as well. Looking forward to flying around the trails this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Wow that was quick. Thank you for all of the trail work that you do.

mtbr member
    Wow that was quick. Thank you for all of the trail work that you do.
    Ah, took me 4 hours over the course of two days. Totally enjoy it though because it gives me an excuse to leave work early (on time) and get out and get a ride in. Then. The motivation is to be able to ride the trails on the weekends without having to get off the bike.

Formerly Empty Beer
    Aloha,

So sorry to be so late replying back here. Backpeddler, I'll be around the next couple of weekends, I can meet you up at Kalopa State park for some trail riding. I just got done clearing out a number of trees that fell the last couple of weeks with the storms we've had. Best time to ride up there is usually earlier in the a.m. as often afternoon fog/mist can roll in. Just let me know what day and time you can be up there and I'll meet you up there.
    I'm sorry with my late replay too... had a nasty computer virus,

If you're riding on the weekend, how does April 1st sound? I'm good for other days too; 3-28 to 4-4, except 3-31 (roadbike day)

A BIG MAHALO on the trail repair!!

Formerly Empty Beer
    Originally Posted by gmats
    Aloha,

I'm sorry with my late replay too... had a nasty computer virus,

If you're riding on the weekend, how does April 1st sound? I'm good for other days too; 3-28 to 4-4, except 3-31 (roadbike day)

A BIG MAHALO on the trail repair!!

mtbr member
    Wow, bummer, we were up there Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Saturday was all time sweet, dry and fun. Saturday we had a bit of rain and slightly muddy. By Monday, it was quite muddy because all the moisture had so much time to soak in.

I'm thinking we might be up there this weekend (Saturday) as well. Oh, I'm probably not going to have time to ride the weekend after that (7-8).

Formerly Empty Beer
    Wow, bummer, we were up there Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Saturday was all time sweet, dry and fun. Saturday we had a bit of rain and slightly muddy. By Monday, it was quite muddy because all the moisture had so much time to soak in.

I'm thinking we might be up there this weekend (Saturday) as well. Oh, I'm probably not going to have time to ride the weekend after that (7-8).
    Gmats, Post where and when if you're going this weekend and I'll try to join you... Or PM me.
    Doug

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BackPeddler View Post
    Gmats, Post where and when if you're going this weekend and I'll try to join you... Or PM me.
    Doug
    Sorry, not riding up in Kalopa this weekend, too muddy. The STRONG WINDS and rain don't seem to want to let up.

Slight chance I might be up there on Good Friday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Bikeworks has a website and you can reserve a bike on their site. I did this when i went to Kona last summer. I would try to rent early so you can get what you want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast