mtbr member

Trip to the Big Island

Hello All,

I have a destination wedding coming up in febuary and my soon to be wife and I both mountain bike back in the states .

We are staying in Kona and going to visit the countryside . We are going to rent mountain bikes from th local bike shop in Kona . We are intermediate riders and looking for some nice trails to ride . We are definitely going to do a day tour of Volcano national park , wondering if we can bike that park ?

Any many help would be greatly appreciated

My name is Joe by the way

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi Joe
    Congrats on the upcoming nuptials. There are a limited few bike allowed trails in Volcano Natl Park, check the website. If you are just sight-seeing, the rangers won't harass you about the bikes, just yield to everyone on foot.
    If you get the chance, look up Big Island Mountain Biking on facebook and ask to join, then post your plans. We usually can put something togather for visitors.
    Look forward to riding with you.

I Ride Bikes
    Yeah check out the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/268404617743/
    Most of us are posting in there now. However, you may still post up your plans here and we can help you out as much as possible.

Some trails that might interest you on the Kona side..

-Kaloko
    -Makalawena
    -Puuwaawaa
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Thanks Gentlemen !

I just asked to join your Facebook page . I will take Malukea's suggestions for local trail riding .

As far as Volcano national park is concerned we will probably just do day hike with in the park.

I a super excited ! I may even be able to get a day by myself to Ride somewhere . I caught a couple of YouTube videos . The picture on the Facebook page looks like a really awesome place .

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm out on the Big Island, staying in Kona for 2 weeks. Was going to bring my bike, but last minute overpacking killed that. Any pointers on where to rent a bike for a day or two. I'll look into the Facebook page as well, but only my wife has Facebook.

mtbr member
    I rented 2 full suspension bikes from Bike Works in Kona . Check out their website , you can reserve bikes on their site and have a bunch to choose .

I rented a small Giant Trance FS 29 er and a Medium specialized camber comp 29er

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_CLG View Post
    I'm out on the Big Island, staying in Kona for 2 weeks. Was going to bring my bike, but last minute overpacking killed that. Any pointers on where to rent a bike for a day or two. I'll look into the Facebook page as well, but only my wife has Facebook.

yeah head on over to the Facebook page. I think we already have jnicosia all set-up with bikes, trail info, and a photographer!

So you are already here in Kona? Bike Works Kona should be able to hook you up with a bike.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    TX-Clg

That's right ! Class A guys on here . They were a huge help with everything .

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    yeah head on over to the Facebook page. I think we already have jnicosia all set-up with bikes, trail info, and a photographer!

So you are already here in Kona? Bike Works Kona should be able to hook you up with a bike.
    Already in Kona, but won't be able to get away from other events until Sunday at the earliest. I'm here through the 9th so I'm sure I'll find some time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Jn, my wife and I will arrive in Kona 9/7-9/12, we' re similar riders like y'all. Where did you end up riding and any other info you can share about your visit? Thnx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfast View Post
    Jn, my wife and I will arrive in Kona 9/7-9/12, we' re similar riders like y'all. Where did you end up riding and any other info you can share about your visit? Thnx

You should join Big Island Mountain Biking , a very good face book page with a lot of communication about local rides . Very good people !

I rented bikes bikes from Bike works in Kona , trail systems near by Kaloko . I would ask the face book page for specifics . Most of the time they post meet ups .
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon EVO Expert 2014 YETI SB95 , KS LEV seat post.