mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Traveling to Kauai June 17-22. Where to ride, rent/demo a 29er???

I posted this as a reply to a Kauai race thread, but thouht it might be better to start a new thread VS. Hijack the other.

I'll be in Kauai from 6- 17 to 6-22 for a conference at the Marriot in Lihue. I'm an avid MTBR from the front range here in Colorado and I want to RIDE my rear end off while I'm there. I ride 4-6 hrs per week and most rides are 2-4K of climbing. My family sleeps in so I will either be fly fishing or riding most mornings as the wife is going to class's this time.

There are two things I can't seem to lock down before our trip..

1) Where to ride??? I've come up with a few areas via google searchs Like ( Nowon forest preserve, Kalepa, Wailua River State park) but I'm not sure which or these areas have trails that can be accessed by Bike.

2) I will need a rental/demo bike. I'm strickly a 29er guy now and don't mind riding a hardtail. Any local shops I coudl work with?

Any suggestions from you local guys? I'd love to meet up for a ride or two while I'm there. Even considering shipping my Moots MXZ down there too.

-=MIke

Yes, that's fonetic
    Kauai Cycle in Kapaa, The Bike Doktor in Hanalei or Bicycle John in Lihue would be your best best for ride/rental info. Rentals (not sure about 9ers though) and rides out of all 3 shops.

I do what Spicoli says
    Jan 2007
    You should rent a mountain bike. Mountain biking in Hawaii is way better than road riding.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by phuzz21 View Post
    You should rent a mountain bike. Mountain biking in Hawaii is way better than road riding.
    I'm just guessing, but since this is a mtb forum and he asked about trails I think that was his plan. I didn't see any mention of a road bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for all the feedback and shop rec's guys. After some thought and number crunching I recently bought a slightly used Thule Travel case.Combine that with a United fedex shipping discount and I've decided to take my Moots MXZ niner down with me in two weekends. I may never make it back so I figured why not go all out...

Any trail info from forum members? we will be staying at the main Marriot for the week. I'll be spinning form the hotel most days I ride ( 3-4). unless someone wants to take a ride with a high country boy while I'm in town and you have a bike rack ;-)

Any help on locating some epic trails would be great! I'm a single track guy but I don't mind grinding some gravel, double track to get back and forth, pavement is tolerable too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    woooo hooooo. 2 days and counting. I bought a used Thule case to take my Moots MXZ with me as luggage. ( freakin' US airways is NUTZ on bike shipment)

Staying at the Marriot Beach resort in Lihue. so It looks like I'll be hitting the following trails for sure....

-Moalepe Trail
    -Kuilau Ridge
    -Kuamoo Trail
    -Kalepa ridge

will be riding form the hotel most days for a good warm up, may be alap a few of these trails. Also considering an out and back to the north side of the island on Powrline. Will have phone coverage while I'm there so anyone interested in riding with a non-local send me a PM or email. bowtiguy at comcast dot net.

Freeride Recumbent
    -Moalepe Trail <— ok.
    -Kuilau Ridge <— ok.
    -Kuamoo Trail <— good. but short. actually ‘Nounou’ or Sleeping Giant (there is no Kuamoo trail per se)
    -Kalepa ridge <— good, but it’s tricky to avoid the moto trails which are terrible hike-a-bike without a motor.
    -Powerline <— sucks very badly.

Usually XC on Sunday (early) or Friday (late) but if I get over there mid-week I’ll email you. Probably Kalepa, probably Wednesday PM.

Rob

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Haole View Post
    -Moalepe Trail <— ok.
    -Kuilau Ridge <— ok.
    -Kuamoo Trail <— good. but short. actually ‘Nounou’ or Sleeping Giant (there is no Kuamoo trail per se)
    -Kalepa ridge <— good, but it’s tricky to avoid the moto trails which are terrible hike-a-bike without a motor.
    -Powerline <— sucks very badly.

Usually XC on Sunday (early) or Friday (late) but if I get over there mid-week I’ll email you. Probably Kalepa, probably Wednesday PM.

Rob
    NIce....Thanks for the heads up and local feedback Rob.

I'll PM you my phone # too.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Be careful driving on the road on Kauai, many locals (including some cops) don't think you
    should be allowed on the road, and if you don't have the bike license attached you might even
    get a ticket. Oh, and if you do get hit by a tourist who isn't paying attention because it's so beautiful
    the cop will wait in the E/R waiting room for you to get discharged to give you a ticket. Even
    if you were not at fault.

To summarize why you need to be very careful on the roads on Kauai:
    No real bike lane
    Locals don't care
    Cops hate you
    Tourists are distracted

That said, off road is very fun indeed. If you can get a ride over to Waimea/Koke'e the contour road
    is a fun scenic ride. Na Ala Hele - Hawaii Trail System: Kauai: Contour Road. It is essentially just a dirt road, but there is some nice scenery and easy for the wife too. There's
    also some offshoots that take you to over looks down NaPali and Polihale beach.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit View Post
    Be careful driving on the road on Kauai, many locals (including some cops) don't think you
    should be allowed on the road, and if you don't have the bike license attached you might even
    get a ticket. Oh, and if you do get hit by a tourist who isn't paying attention because it's so beautiful
    the cop will wait in the E/R waiting room for you to get discharged to give you a ticket. Even
    if you were not at fault.

To summarize why you need to be very careful on the roads on Kauai:
    No real bike lane
    Locals don't care
    Cops hate you
    Tourists are distracted

That said, off road is very fun indeed. If you can get a ride over to Waimea/Koke'e the contour road
    is a fun scenic ride. Na Ala Hele - Hawaii Trail System: Kauai: Contour Road. It is essentially just a dirt road, but there is some nice scenery and easy for the wife too. There's
    also some offshoots that take you to over looks down NaPali and Polihale beach.
    WOW! very good information. I guess I have become spoiled living here on the front range of Colorado. Bike lanes are generous for commutes back and forth to work on the cross bike. The only law enforcement danager here is getting a bicycle DUI in boulder. But I don't drink and ride so its not an issue.

Is a temp bike licence tag available, required, suggested? or should I just go with the flow and take my chances....

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiguy View Post
    WOW! very good information. I guess I have become spoiled living here on the front range of Colorado. Bike lanes are generous for commutes back and forth to work on the cross bike. The only law enforcement danager here is getting a bicycle DUI in boulder. But I don't drink and ride so its not an issue.

Is a temp bike licence tag available, required, suggested? or should I just go with the flow and take my chances....
    I road a bit on the road (not a lot though) and never got a ticket, but it became an issue when
    my wife got rear-ended by a tourist, on a straight away in broad daylight. She used to shuttle
    my friend and me then go for a road ride up in Waimea/Koke'e before that.

When I moved to Canada (Victoria now Sooke), I was shocked that the second I would turn
    on the sidewalk like I was going to cross that all the cars would stop. What a different culture
    it is.

I do what Spicoli says
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    I'm just guessing, but since this is a mtb forum and he asked about trails I think that was his plan. I didn't see any mention of a road bike.
    29ers are not mountain bikes

mtbr member

Lived in Hawaii for 5 years, never registered any of my bikes. I was hit by a car twice... Little aloha between motorist and bikes...

Quote Originally Posted by phuzz21 View Post
    29ers are not mountain bikes
    why not? what are they?

I posted this as a reply to a Kauai race thread, but thouht it might be better to start a new thread VS. Hijack the other.

I'll be in Kauai from 6- 17 to 6-22 for a conference at the Marriot in Lihue. I'm an avid MTBR from the front range here in Colorado and I want to RIDE my rear end off while I'm there. I ride 4-6 hrs per week and most rides are 2-4K of climbing. My family sleeps in so I will either be fly fishing or riding most mornings as the wife is going to class's this time.

There are two things I can't seem to lock down before our trip..

1) Where to ride??? I've come up with a few areas via google searchs Like ( Nowon forest preserve, Kalepa, Wailua River State park) but I'm not sure which or these areas have trails that can be accessed by Bike.

2) I will need a rental/demo bike. I'm strickly a 29er guy now and don't mind riding a hardtail. Any local shops I coudl work with?

Any suggestions from you local guys? I'd love to meet up for a ride or two while I'm there. Even considering shipping my Moots MXZ down there too.

-=MIke

Just curious, how did your trip to Kauai go? I hope you had fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Kauai First Ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    Just curious, how did your trip to Kauai go? I hope you had fun!
    My review of the trip is LOOONG overdue, I'll get my thought down before I leave for my Fly fishing trip to Alaska, memory gets shorter with age.

Overall...excellent! Totally worth the $200/way US Air robbed me to get my MXZ there and back.

I bought a slightly used Thule case prior to leaving and it fit everything I needed and it kept me from checking one additional bag for the family. I figured for $200/way I'm going to load the sucker up, and I did.

We got in on saturday afternoon, I got a chance to get the bike together, do some boogie boarding with my 6 year old son and have a nice meal.

First Ride: What a way to spend fathers day! I pulled out of the Marriot In Lihue and headed up the HWY 56 to hit ‘Nounou’ or Sleeping Giant.

Kuamo'o-Nounou Trail Hawaii Trail Reviews

I was on the defensive after some previous posts but found the road to have a nice wide bike lane with neutral/tolerant drivers. The climb up HWY 580 was a good pitch. The trail was short but techinical for a dry high country Colorad rider. This is when I got my first taste of "hawaiian ice", dead and decaying leaves, rocks, roots all damp from the morning rain made the ride "Interesting". Kind of like riding ice w/o studded tires or Surly Fat tires..thus the name.

This trail was short, so short I decided to go out and back up to shoot some pics until I ran into a local hottie who had lived there in the past and had just moved back form Colorado springs. She game me simple directions to make it up to Moalepe Trail / Kuilau Ridge So I headed up Kamalua road then took a left on Olohena rd which led me right to the trailhead of Moalepe.

Moalepe Trail Hawaii Trail Reviews

A little drier over there, nice slow climb up, crushed rock ( chickens everytwhere!) passed a couple of hikers then met a nice couple on top from San Fran who took my picture on top. The back side coming down was more "hawaiian ice" as I crossed the bridge onto Kuilau Ridge Trail.

Kuilau Ridge Trail Hawaii Trail Reviews

This was a nice trail, more wide open, less single/double track and VERY WET on the way down. I haven't got that wet in years riding Colorado...but it was fun! lots of hikers coming up, so speed control was required. From there I got dumped back onto HWY 580 down to HWY 56 and back to the POOL!

My polar G3 GPS did not register on the island but the CSX800 showed 36.3 mile loop with 2,700' of near sea level climbing, not a bad fathers day!

Next....THE RIDE of the WEEK!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Traveling to Kauai June 17-22. Where to ride, rent/demo a 29er???-photo-medium-.jpg  

Traveling to Kauai June 17-22. Where to ride, rent/demo a 29er???-sleeping-giant-trail-medium-.jpg  

Traveling to Kauai June 17-22. Where to ride, rent/demo a 29er???-moalepe-ridge.jpg  

Traveling to Kauai June 17-22. Where to ride, rent/demo a 29er???-moelepe-trail-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Waimea Canyon

SECOND RIDE

Midweek I got a chance to do a later afternoon ride with two of the best riders I have ever ridden with, definatly top 5! The fathers day ride was a long camel back depleteing leg cramping experience...

Wensdays ride was one of the most intense areas I've ever ridden. I'm a cross country rider at heart. My first bike was Bontrager race lite ( A.K.A. bone shaker). I'm not a park rider, huge huck kind of guy. However, I love going fast and thought I was to a certain extent.

After a tourist day out on a boat checking out the Napali Coast with the family ( beautiful btw, a must do) I drove back over to Waimea and met up with all around good guy and fellow MTBR member Rob and his riding buddy Eric. We proceeded to eclipse my prvious ride elevation in just 13.6 miles and a touch under 2 hrs.

I didn't stop to take pictures on this one, I was just trying to keep up and not get dropped/lost. Thats what you get when you take two "ex" down hill MTB riders who now cross country ride on trails they have ridden for 15+ years! whew! Although not marked as rideable, Waimea canyon had everything. The trails would swap from crushed lava, to dirt, to leaves, to riding the ridge/rim of the canyon ( see photo) to grass's 10' tall on either side that opened up to the canyon rim, to bridge crossings, to erssoin gullys, to Motorcycle ruts, to kickers over those ruts...it was cool ( thats coming form a 41+ year old).

Lucky for me, my gracious hosts guided me through the tough sections by giving me heads up on what was around the next corner/bend/jungle brush. With out it, it would have been harry to say the least. Best part was, after a couple hrs of riding, these fellow mountain bikers set down the tail gates and cooked me some food and even brought some beverages to help wash it down as I got to learn a bit more about them and the island/trails they call home and watch the afternoon tour boats come in at sunset. I just wish I could have gotten away to ride with them again on friday, but date night called.

I left that ride wanting to be a better embassador for mountain biking, Those two guys LOVE to ride and they do it well. Lucky for me, they shared one of their favorite spots with me ( probobly because they new I had a return flight back home).

Thanks again Rob and Eric! let me know if you make it out my way so I can return the favor!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Traveling to Kauai June 17-22. Where to ride, rent/demo a 29er???-waimea-canyon-medium-.jpg  

Traveling to Kauai June 17-22. Where to ride, rent/demo a 29er???-sunset-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by bowtiguy; 07-21-2012 at 01:03 PM.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Eric...really tall guy. Tennis pro and bike shop guy by day? I don't know a Ron. Lots of great riding on that last hill.

bowtiguy - thanks for sharing your pictures and stories. I'm glad that you had an awesome experience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kauaibullit View Post
    Eric...really tall guy. Tennis pro and bike shop guy by day? I don't know a Ron. Lots of great riding on that last hill.
    Yep, you got it right. seams like everyone I met knew them including the guys at Kauai Cycle when I stopped by saturday AM ( read Ride Three below). and the head of laundry at the Marriot who let me you thier hose and rags to wipe down the bike after my rides..Funny thing happened when I rode up to the pool covered in mud that first ride. I asked one of the grounds crew if there was hose I could use to keep house keeping happy. he said, follow me....

Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    bowtiguy - thanks for sharing your pictures and stories. I'm glad that you had an awesome experience.
    Your welcome, I enjoyed riding there and wriitng this a month later reminded me of how much of a good time I had.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Anahola Trails

The last day on the island found me waking up and deciding to pedal up to Anahola trails. I had returned the rental suburban and the hotel did not grant us late check out so time was short. I had six hrs to ride, get the bike cleaned up, back the bike, back everything else and get to the pool and wait 6 hrs to catch our flight.

The Bad: 2/3's of the marriot is time shares, so don't plan on getting late check out,
    The Good: they had some old rooms above the lobby that guests could use to clean-up.

I headed out to Wailua via the hotel service road that boarders the golf course, no golfers, but plenty of chickens....

I spun through Wailua and on to Kapaa where I stopped to meet the guys at Kauai Cycles. They were busy moving their bikes out of the shop to make room for customers for the day. The old guy ( owner) was a little gruff but not in a bad way, He was joking around with his younger employees while I looked around for a T shirt or something to take home with me, but they were sold out of everything in size Large. Just a good bike shop vibe. I always thought it would be cool owning a bike shop then I realized that 90% of your sales would be people who just don't get it. I bet they could have fixed just about anything that came through there judging by the totes of spare parts stacked everywhere.

I asked about local trails and they took the time to map me out directions to Anahola trails and said I could get their via the bike path. I thanked them and headed on my way.

Now this isn't my type of riding, actually I wish I had my Psychlo-x cross bike with me, but the ocean view was amazing for a colorado boy. I big chainringed it through a fitness event, surf competition and plenty of ocean spray as the surf hit the rocks and the wind carried it inward. I got off on a few little short sections of single track here and there and ended up at where I took this picture, Unfortunatly, I never got to ride the anahola trails due to time so I turned around and headed back 25.7 miles roaund trip and a flatlanders 1300' of climbing.

My thoughts about Kauai...

1) Great Place, its relaxed and the weather was great 62-72 degrees everyday.
    2) plenty of places to explore
    3) while not boulder Colorado bike friendy, I didn't find it to be "anti-bikes" by any means. All of the main roads I was on had plenty of bike lane space. North of Anahola and west of Lihue it got thin, but I wasn't there on a road bike
    4) I never got hasseled for a "bike license" or got any tickets. although I did come close to a parking ticket at one beach but was let go with a STERN warning ( damn tourists)
    5) If I were to go back again, I 'd spend more time in Waimea Canyon and maybe do a few of the training rides Rob & Eric spoke of that take you out to the top edges of the Napali coast line looking down on the ocean.
    6) As matter of fact, Waimea Canyon alone made the $400 airline fee worth it. But then again I got a guided tour!
    7) The locals have it good and they know it, Its kind of like Colorado. My favorite bumper sticker here looks like our green and white state license plate and reads " No Vacancy"
    8) While I didn;t see a HUGE biking community, I did see plenty of examples of bikes just being used for' transportation and quite possibly the earliest know version of the multi-tool ( see last pic).

until next time....Aloha!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Traveling to Kauai June 17-22. Where to ride, rent/demo a 29er???-anohola-trails-medium-.jpg  

Traveling to Kauai June 17-22. Where to ride, rent/demo a 29er???-tool-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by bowtiguy; 07-22-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Bowtiguy, you ever thought about coming to the Big Island? Or have you been here already?