mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Trails in Kailua?

I'm looking to get some mountain biking in a few times this week and need some suggestions. I'm hoping to get some good vertical feet in along with mileage. My preference would be to ride from where were staying, Puukani place near the Kalapawai Market....near the beach.

Thanks fellas!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ptn2zb

mtbr member
    There's plenty to ride at Norfolk, Maunawili or Kaleheo. What are you into and what are ya riding?
    --Dirt is good!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dirt View Post
    There's plenty to ride at Norfolk, Maunawili or Kaleheo. What are you into and what are ya riding?
    Nice! Agressive XC trail riding and love to climb. I'm a decent descender but not really willing to take huge risk riding by myself on vacation. I'll be renting a FS 29'er.

mtbr member
    Great! Just so happens I have time off this week. I'd be happy to show you around.
    --Dirt is good!

mtbr member
    Check your PM.
    --Dirt is good!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dirt View Post
    Check your PM.
    Replied back....

mtbr member
    Texted your phone
    --Dirt is good!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    bassn, you will want to do manawilli ditch trail as that is a network of super easy fireroad with some small size climbs. The full manawilli is definitely an aggressive 12 mile XC single track. After the first section where you decend from Pali lookout to the hair pin turn next to the road, the trail gets alot more technical and rooty compared to most anything we have at Norcal. There are some good climbs. Nothing like Kennedy or mission peak, but more like Stile ranch at STCP, but with roots. And the trails are narrow. We used to do this as a semi-epic. The 12 miles will take you a good few hours. No bail point in between. Super scenic as you are riding next to cliffs that go straight up a few thousand feet.

This trail is nice when it is dry. Manawili ditch is always nice. But watch where you are going.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks LOL for the recommendations.

Johnny, thanks again for the awesome tour around your beautiful island. I really appreciate the time and effort you put aside to pull me around. Sorry I couldn't hook up the second day but family stuff had to come first...lol. I'll be back soon and hopefully we'll hook up again to hit the other stuff. Thanks again Johnny and hopefully you get out a bit more often.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    One other thing Johnny, my brother will be there next month and I'm hoping it will be okay to pass on your contact info to him. His abilities are very similar to mine and wouldn't have any troubles doing what we did, or more. You'll soon have to open up your own MTB guide trip service...lol.

mtbr member
    Glad you had fun! Aloha!!
    --Dirt is good!