gumbies need lovin' too

trail info on Kauai's west side rides

greetings from alaska...

got a group of 6 coming down your way december 1st-21st, looked at the FAQ section, and will probably do some of the rides mentioned if the weather/trail conditions cooperate, but we are also interested in trails on the sunny and hopefully drier west side of the island. some of us will be into more tech trails, and some would like it mellow. we have a fair amount of time, so we will be riding both types of trails and are hoping to fit in at least 6-7 rides. two of the six are teenage girls, one of whom is new to mtb. we will probably be renting bikes from Kauai Cycle.

also, is john alford's mountain biking Hawaiian Islands guide book widely available at bookstores and bike shops? if so, how much$? i could buy it online, but would rather pick it up on the island. also, any suggestions for post ride grinds(eats) would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Speak with Jason at Kauai Cycle as he should be able to answer all of your questions.

Sign Killa
    Kauai Cycle stocks Alfords' book, around $18, I think. If you get to the island and can't find it, you can borrow mine Most of the trails in the book and in the sticky are gonna be tough for new riders, but the contour road area mentioned in the book is suitable for anyone (so long as you don't accidentally take one of the ridge roads DOWN).

On the West side, I like the Shrimp Station in Waimea for its good eats and proximity. Tempting as it is after a ride, avoid the Waimea Brew pub.... food is not great, service is worse, and I'm pretty sure they brew their beer with old toilet water.

East side Kalipaki Joe's is good, with Kauai's finest beer selection. Monico's in Kapaa (Mexican) is yummy too. The Dally Up in Kalaheo, Emu Hut in Hanapepe and Koloa Fish Market are some of the best places to find local style grinds.

gumbies need lovin' too
    thanks to all for the info. maybe you'll see us on the trails. just look for six riders sporting the infamous alaskan tan....

Former MTBR Member
    Mar 2004
    +1 on the Contour Road and Kauai Cycle. Weekends and Holidays are hunting days—you can still ride there—but if you can ride on a weekday instead, you'll have it all to yourself.